Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

from 610 to 680 - Improve in verbal / Knewton

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [3] , given: 1

Reviews Badge
from 610 to 680 - Improve in verbal / Knewton [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 13:05
This post received
KUDOS
My gmat experience.
Although I didn’t score 700 or over, I´m very proud of my score and I want to share my experience of exam
My score: 680 (Q48 V35)

This is only for normal people. If you are a genius and see things like in the matrix movie, please go to post where it says "how to score 780"

Background: I am not an English native speaker(Argentinean) and I have engineer degree. Six year of work experience.
My first attempt to the gmat was in December of 2008. I scored 610 (Q47 V28). I realized that I need a lot to improve in verbal so I decided to start preparing the TOEFL first and then return to the GMAT. I spend all 2009 working in my English and trying to improve as much as possible. I took the TOEFL exam in December of last year and I started studying for GMAT again in March.

What I did:
I also enrolled for the Knewton course that was VERY helpful for me because it allow me to remember key concepts of math and gave me a lot of exercise to practice. I enrolled in the Knewton course because of the 50-points-gurantee policy. I am glad to tell that I am not going to ask for a refund.

The course was great and I did it in only one month. Of course I had to watch a lot of the lesson on-demand.
About practice test that I took:
I took the 5 Knewton’s Test and I score on average 610. Before the exam I was worried over my performance. But now, I can tell you that Knewton exam are much harder than the real GMAT exam is.
I also did the Manhattan free test, and again, for me there were some exercises that were harder than the real ones.

Finally, this site was also one of the keys to my success. I try to spend as much as possible around the forum, reading and answering problems. There a lot of experts who knows a lot about this exam. I love this community! It was also really helpful for me, I learnt a lot.

On the test day: Just think about what you are going to do next after the test.
“Keep pushing!!”
There is a lot of material to practice; one of the key is to select useful information.

If you are interested, I can provide further details.

Last edited by netrix on 16 May 2010, 03:12, edited 2 times in total.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 45

Re: from 610 to 680 - Improving in verbal [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 13:25
Great score!

Help me also to achieve this..

Click on kudos, if you like my post!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: from 610 to 680 - Improving in verbal [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 14:15
Netrix,
Congratulations on your score! I'm curious to know how exactly Knewton helped you in the Quantitative portion. I am thinking about signing up, and need some serious help in Maths for the basic and advanced questions.

Thanks,
Royaldane
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: from 610 to 680 - Improving in verbal [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 02:31
Royaldane wrote:
Netrix,
Congratulations on your score! I'm curious to know how exactly Knewton helped you in the Quantitative portion. I am thinking about signing up, and need some serious help in Maths for the basic and advanced questions.

Thanks,
Royaldane

Knewton help me to do a lot of exercises and remembered a lot my math concepts that I had previous acquired.
All the exercises were very similar to gmat exercises and the teachers were excellent, they show you how to solve a problem in the fastest way.
I like a lot the course, I would definitely recommend the course if you want to improve you math section. But remember, you are going to need a lot of time and practice. they have a lot of exercises!!
I hope it help!
Knewton GMAT Representative
Schools: BA Amherst College, MFA Brooklyn College
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Re: from 610 to 680 - Improve in verbal / Knewton [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 08:28
Thanks for your inquiry about Knewton.

Our Quant lessons have really helped people out. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Best,
Josh

Josh Anish
Senior Editor
Knewton, Inc

Free GMAT Club tests ($250 value) in addition to any other discounts or coupons when you buy the Knewton Course with KnewtonBest-GMAT-Club discount code.
Use this promo code when you sign up for Knewton: KnewtonBest-GMAT-Club

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

Re: from 610 to 680 - Improve in verbal / Knewton [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 02:33
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: from 610 to 680 - Improve in verbal / Knewton [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 03:43
hi and congratulations!!

how many exercises on averege have you done daily?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: from 610 to 680 - Improve in verbal / Knewton [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 09:59
congrats to another knewton success story! which teachers did you have? Chris Wu rocks!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: from 610 to 680 - Improve in verbal / Knewton [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 05:49
shaselai wrote:
congrats to another knewton success story! which teachers did you have? Chris Wu rocks!

My favorite teachers were:
Brigidete Crow and Jessica Nepom. They were great!

serhio wrote:
hi and congratulations!!

how many exercises on averege have you done daily?

Thanks! I tried to do a lot of exercises every day and balanced, same math and verbal (sc, rc and cr)
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 987 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: from 610 to 680 - Improve in verbal / Knewton [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 10:07
So have you started your application? Which schools are you aiming at?

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: from 610 to 680 - Improve in verbal / Knewton [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 11:06
gurpreetsingh wrote:
So have you started your application? Which schools are you aiming at?

I haven't decided yet.
But I'm thinking of Darden, Tuck and Columbia as my first choices.
Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 136

Re: from 610 to 680 - Improve in verbal / Knewton [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 23:34
netrix wrote:
My gmat experience.

I also enrolled for the Knewton course that was VERY helpful for me because it allow me to remember key concepts of math and gave me a lot of exercise to practice. I enrolled in the Knewton course because of the 50-points-gurantee policy. I am glad to tell that I am not going to ask for a refund.

The course was great and I did it in only one month. Of course I had to watch a lot of the lesson on-demand.
About practice test that I took:
I took the 5 Knewton’s Test and I score on average 610. Before the exam I was worried over my performance. But now, I can tell you that Knewton exam are much harder than the real GMAT exam is.
I also did the Manhattan free test, and again, for me there were some exercises that were harder than the real ones.

Dear netrix.

Which course ( of Knewton ) did you actually take? The course with regular price of US$ 690 ( i.e. Premium Live ) or the one with US$ 350 ( i.e. Complete Prep )? Sorry if this question is a redundant one.

I am a gonna-be student of Knewton. I must say, I am impressed reading the reviews about Knewton. I am researching how much value does it add ( if any ) with the extra US$340 for the "Live Sessions" to the GMATees' prep. If the live sessions don't add that value ( by a considerable amount ), I am gonna purchase their Complete Prep for US$ 350 ( regular price ).

Thanks in advance for your reply! :-)
Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Re: from 610 to 680 - Improve in verbal / Knewton [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 04:22
at my time it was only available the live classes (I think now called premium live)
but I actually took a lot of classes on demand
the demand classes are great and if you are planning to have different schedules I would recommend to go with complete prep option

let me know if you have other questions
Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 136

Re: from 610 to 680 - Improve in verbal / Knewton [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 21:38
netrix wrote:
at my time it was only available the live classes (I think now called premium live)
but I actually took a lot of classes on demand
the demand classes are great and if you are planning to have different schedules I would recommend to go with complete prep option

let me know if you have other questions

Thanks a ton, netrix!

Do you think ( or, are you sure ) that LIVE classes will not be found as recorded in the ON-DEMAND classes? Good to mention, the time difference between Knewton's location and my location is 12 hours. I guess this might be a hindrance in taking my LIVE classes as those classes may take place at the time when I usually would go to sleep! If this is the case, what will you suggest me to go with? PREMIUM LIVE or ON DEMAND?

Cheers!
Current Student
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 19

Re: from 610 to 680 - Improve in verbal / Knewton [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 03:20
I would suggest to go with demand package. Especially if you have a 12 hours gap.
I know that Knewton offers different time tables, you have in the morning and in the afternoon/night.
if I were you, I would take the classes in the hours that I feel more comfortable and motivated to learn tons of material.

It is like the exam, take your practice exams always in the same hours that you are going to take the real exam or try as many time as possible.
please check and be sure if there is no other future in the live program besides the live classes.

The good part of the live classes is that you can answer the question live, apart from asking questions. Normally all my questions were answered in demand-classes.
If I didn't understand something or if had a doubt, I could write to them and had a great responses!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: from 610 to 680 - Improve in verbal / Knewton   [#permalink] 11 May 2011, 03:20