Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 22:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [4] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 05:50
This post received
KUDOS
OK guys, this is it. 750. Should I take it again? Kiddddding. I am super relieved and happy that the last standardized test I’ll ever take (fingers crossed) is over. I heard of some people who grow to like the GMAT (why-do-you-hate-the-gmat-118874.html). Not me, the longer I prepped, the more I hated this damn test. As an international I felt disadvantaged and I question everything the GMAT tries to show. Especially these trick question, that screw you because you assumed an integer or you forgot that 0!=1 were more than annoying and not reflective of logical or mathematical aptitude. Furthermore, the SC part gave me serious headaches. I over-studied it, knew hundreds of rules and the worst thing is that neither the prep companies nor the OGs are very consistent with correct answers (try Ellipsis etc.). Yet, despite my profound hate for the test, I forced myself through it, the goal always in my mind. You will never see me in this board again, but this is not because it doesn’t have great members (which it does and I thank everybody who helped me), but because it reminds me of weeks of pain, agony and self-doubt. If you are like me and hate this test and you know you have to do it, I wish you all the best and don’t let others tell you that the GMAT reflects something that it does not (e.g. intelligence). It is a broken test in a broken system of admissions. In case you want to read about my full journey, here it goes….

My journey was long, I started prepping for the Gmat 18 months ago. I attended a Knewton course and used the Manhattan Gmat book, the OGs and Kaplan 800. I loved the Manhattan books and their online tests, which can be taken multiple times, though the Manhatten guide for CR and RC suck. I enjoyed the Knewton course, though you can take the 6 online tests they offer once (wtf?) and they do not respond to private emails, only in a general discussion board. Work wise, the Gmat was hard to juggle, I prepped a couple hours after work and about 10h on Saturday and Sunday. My pre-test scores were good, mostly 700+ but when I took the first official test after 2 1/2 months, I got mere 610 and had no idea what went wrong. Damn. I was very disappointed and confused and then I had so much other stuff to do, that I didn’t do anything for another 10 months. This was NOT a good idea. After 10 months, I had to restudy a lot of material and I had to go over all the books again. Thank god I took notes the first time around, but it was still a lot of extra work. I focused my work on the Verbal section, did lots and lots of SC, RC and CR stuff and tried to find my own technique. In the end, I settled for the GMAT pill method for RC (only read the top and last sentence of each paragraph), though I feel like in the real test I always read everything anyways… For SC, I used Aristotle Prep and for CR the CR Bible. My prep scores went through the roof (730-80 mostly) and I was very confident this time I had to dominate it. But the 2nd test day came and booom, 650. Again, no clue what went wrong. Completely devastated I signed up for the next possible appointment in a different city 2 hours after the bad result (I really hated the people working at the other test center). I took a week off, prepped only a couple hours a day and did nothing on the week end. Then I took the test the 3rd time. I had a good start, but when the clock hit 10 minutes, I had 10 questions left. I struggled and I felt very badly going into the verbal section, which I also couldn’t finish properly on time. It was only because I don’t believe in cancelling reports in general (what’s the point? I worked hard and no shame for trying!) that I saw my final result- 750. How? Again, no clue. But thank god it’s over.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 07:19
Sounds like you worked your tail off for the amazing score. Congrats and enjoy it! It's over, but you definitely earned it.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 10:08
heyholetsgo wrote:
OK guys, this is it. 750. Should I take it again? Kiddddding. I am super relieved and happy that the last standardized test I’ll ever take (fingers crossed) is over. I heard of some people who grow to like the GMAT (why-do-you-hate-the-gmat-118874.html). Not me, the longer I prepped, the more I hated this damn test. As an international I felt disadvantaged and I question everything the GMAT tries to show. Especially these trick question, that screw you because you assumed an integer or you forgot that 0!=1 were more than annoying and not reflective of logical or mathematical aptitude. Furthermore, the SC part gave me serious headaches. I over-studied it, knew hundreds of rules and the worst thing is that neither the prep companies nor the OGs are very consistent with correct answers (try Ellipsis etc.). Yet, despite my profound hate for the test, I forced myself through it, the goal always in my mind. You will never see me in this board again, but this is not because it doesn’t have great members (which it does and I thank everybody who helped me), but because it reminds me of weeks of pain, agony and self-doubt. If you are like me and hate this test and you know you have to do it, I wish you all the best and don’t let others tell you that the GMAT reflects something that it does not (e.g. intelligence). It is a broken test in a broken system of admissions. In case you want to read about my full journey, here it goes….

My journey was long, I started prepping for the Gmat 18 months ago. I attended a Knewton course and used the Manhattan Gmat book, the OGs and Kaplan 800. I loved the Manhattan books and their online tests, which can be taken multiple times, though the Manhatten guide for CR and RC suck. I enjoyed the Knewton course, though you can take the 6 online tests they offer once (wtf?) and they do not respond to private emails, only in a general discussion board. Work wise, the Gmat was hard to juggle, I prepped a couple hours after work and about 10h on Saturday and Sunday. My pre-test scores were good, mostly 700+ but when I took the first official test after 2 1/2 months, I got mere 610 and had no idea what went wrong. Damn. I was very disappointed and confused and then I had so much other stuff to do, that I didn’t do anything for another 10 months. This was NOT a good idea. After 10 months, I had to restudy a lot of material and I had to go over all the books again. Thank god I took notes the first time around, but it was still a lot of extra work. I focused my work on the Verbal section, did lots and lots of SC, RC and CR stuff and tried to find my own technique. In the end, I settled for the GMAT pill method for RC (only read the top and last sentence of each paragraph), though I feel like in the real test I always read everything anyways… For SC, I used Aristotle Prep and for CR the CR Bible. My prep scores went through the roof (730-80 mostly) and I was very confident this time I had to dominate it. But the 2nd test day came and booom, 650. Again, no clue what went wrong. Completely devastated I signed up for the next possible appointment in a different city 2 hours after the bad result (I really hated the people working at the other test center). I took a week off, prepped only a couple hours a day and did nothing on the week end. Then I took the test the 3rd time. I had a good start, but when the clock hit 10 minutes, I had 10 questions left. I struggled and I felt very badly going into the verbal section, which I also couldn’t finish properly on time. It was only because I don’t believe in cancelling reports in general (what’s the point? I worked hard and no shame for trying!) that I saw my final result- 750. How? Again, no clue. But thank god it’s over.

Congrats for such a great score
and Kudos to your patience...I am also up for the third time ... :( :(

Please mention the break ups of all scores
i mean for 610,650 and 750

WarLocK

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 10:58
how much were you confident on the topics of P&C and probability.How many qstns, on these topics, did you get in the main exam
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 14:21
OMG... It came straight from your heart and soul :). It feels like you meant every single word wholeheartedly, if not more, in the above write up. I must congratulate you on your patience and determination. You earned it and deserved it. Good luck for your future endeavor! All the very best!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 09:27
Thanks guys. My scores were 610 Q48 V27, 650 Q49 V30 and 750 Q50 V42. Like I said, the brunt of my improvements came from the verbal section. Stupid RC takes forever to master...
I felt very confident in P&C and probability and got only one probability question as far as I remember. The question was also really strange, nothing you could prep or use one formula for.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: The Earth organization, India
WE 1: SAP consultant-IT 2 years
WE 2: Entrepreneur-family business 2 years

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 01:31
heyholetsgo wrote:
Thanks guys. My scores were 610 Q48 V27, 650 Q49 V30 and 750 Q50 V42. Like I said, the brunt of my improvements came from the verbal section. Stupid RC takes forever to master...
I felt very confident in P&C and probability and got only one probability question as far as I remember. The question was also really strange, nothing you could prep or use one formula for.

Congrats, great score. Did u retake the 3rd time exactly in 30 days or took some time off ?

Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 08:40
31 days. Signed up hours after my 2nd try...

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 20:56
congrats heyholetsgo...
750 big score.. now u ll b counted among 99 percentiles. :)

All the best for your future application.

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.63
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 21:35
Sweet! Glad your hard work paid off.

My Blog: MBA Applicationland (mbaboy.tumblr. com)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Schools: Cambridge
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE: Accounting (Education)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 08:44
Inspirational... Stories like this push me to work harder. We can all do it
Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 209

Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 09:56
congrats. Nice way to stick with it!
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 19:35
Congrats!!! I have never looked into Aristotle Prep.. is that just for SC or they offer all the subjects? Its better then the MGMAT SC you think, eh? Everyone seems to praise that book. I just finished reading it, I say it is alright, but certainly open to other strategies.

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 02:03
Hey just went through your story...i just gave my first attempt...and got 590(Q48 V24) :(......i really didnt know wt went wrong because the paper seemed fine to me and i felt i was doing well....bt the moment it popped...it was one hard of life. I guess its just about verbal...please if you precise tell me wt verbal books are actually going to help in the verbal...because everywhere the people give u a lot of options and i feel it makes you more confused..coz every book seems to have its own answer for evry verbal question.
Please do guide..i am blank at this moment abt wt to pursue and yeah have somewt started hating it :P
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: The Earth organization, India
WE 1: SAP consultant-IT 2 years
WE 2: Entrepreneur-family business 2 years

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 05:28
heyholetsgo wrote:
31 days. Signed up hours after my 2nd try...

Posted from my mobile device Image

If I could just copy paste this debrief for myself I would do that. I had the same sickening experience. I retook the test yesterday in about a month with little studying. I had gotta shocker 680 about a month back after 3 months of hard work.

Retook the test yesterday and almost freaked out by the 2nd half of the verbal section as it was in the back of my mind how badly I had scored last month. But still I ended up with a better score this time.

Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 13:19
Nice!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 18:02
Aristotle Prep is not better than MGMAT but simply more exercises. Their RC is not very representative because it is too long and there are too many paragraphs (mostly +5) whereas most GMAT exercises have about three paragraphs. It is very hard to find good RC and SC passages I have to admit. Get OG 12 and 11, get the MGMAT online exercises and Aristotle Prep. Kaplan is not that bad but not as reliable. Once you worked through all that you should be ok. But I have to admit, after you exploited those resources it is hard to find new, good stuff.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 22:34
A good display of hard work and perseverance. Congrats !
Re: From 610 to 750 and why I still hate the Gmat   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2011, 22:34