Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [3] , given: 0

From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Tamed The Tiger :punk

I would like to thank all gmatclub members for their amazing posts. I used the standard prep material like everyone else does but what really helped me crack the exam are the gmatclub posts related to – prep strategies, test strategies and personal experiences of the members. I have not really posted enough in the club yet so I feel it is my duty to give back to it and contribute by means of sharing my own prep and test experience, how I learnt from my mistakes and what did I did to overcome them.
I’ll begin with giving everyone a brief background about myself - I am a non-native English speaker, married and have a young kid. I have been working in the IT industry for over 7 years now, so quite a time since I last went to college last.
So factors such as family, a full time job and no academics for a long time were my challenges. I got tremendous support from my wife who took almost complete responsibility of our kid so that I get maximum time for my prep. I couldn’t do much to change my work load though so I concentrated on the prep during whatever little free time I used to get every day. I prepared for about two months before my 1st GMAT attempt and was bombed – a 620 ! All thanks to a poor verbal score of 29. Quant was not excellent either, a 46. Disheartened, I came back home and booked a date for the second attempt – exactly 45 days later. What follows next is my prep journey through these 45 days.

The first thing I did was that I listed down my weaknesses. They are as below –
1) Lack of concentration (this largely affected RC questions)
2) Underestimation of DS questions
3) Inability to complete the verbal section on time

Then I spent the next few days going through articles about increasing reading comprehension skills, concentration, reading speed, tips to attack GMAT-RC and time management in GMAT. I could find all of these in gmatclub posts (Thanks to the club members once again!). I found an amazing article on time management and about things to do in the last 14 days before the exam by Stacey Koprince. This article is well written and test strategies – especially on time management - described here really really really worked for me. Thanks Stacey! For my other weakness – poor concentration and comprehension – that affected my performance in RC, I could find some articles in the club’s forum detailing strategies to attack the RC. The articles are well written and seem very convincing at once but the strategies described did not seem to work for me at all, mainly for two reasons. First, I am not a fast writer of notes; second, my notes were never good enough for me to be able to find answers in them. So I discovered my own method to improve my concentration – tried stuffing my index fingers hard into my ears to cut any outside noise, it hurt, it sounds funny, but it worked! Yes, my verbal scores immediately started shooting upwards, so I adopted this strategy. Besides these, I started respecting the DS questions much more than ever before. Most posts I read about DS questions say one common thing – the best thing about DS questions is that one does not have to actually solve the problem. I do not think there is anything too nice about it. Remember that when you are not required to completely solve a problem, you are actually required to imagine a lot without putting things on paper and this makes these questions much more tricky than PS questions. PS questions on the contrary may take long to solve but are safer. Only tough PS questions are tricky, most others are straight forward. So I started putting a lot of information on paper when solving a DS question and it helped. I started scoring more in quant as well. Also, a lot of posts suggest us to use AD/BCE grid for DS questions. It never worked for me. In fact I find it a waste of time to write down these 5 alphabets for each DS question. My way of doing it is that I write down two numbers on paper – ‘1’ and ‘2’, corresponding to the two statement in a DS problem. Then if the first statement is sufficient, I tick mark ‘1’ else cross it off. Same for ‘2’. If I cross off both ‘1’ and ‘2’ , I make a circle around them to mark it as a tick or cross (after evaluating both ‘1’ and ‘2’ together). This works the best for me and I can quickly choose an option. I also disregard the suggestion to evaluate second statement first if it looks simpler or shorter than statement 1. I don’t think this makes any sense or adds any value, except maybe a psychological advantage of an insignificant value. In fact if we are going to apply so many rules, we will actually be complicating things for ourselves during the test. The idea is to keep things simple. Well, so after I finished with this two week long exercise of weakness identification, weakness fixing, singling out strategies and listing the Do’s and Dont’s, I attempted a MGMAT test near Sept end and scored a 700. It was definitely a reason for me to be happy and to believe that my plan may now work. I spent one day relaxing and preparing a study schedule for each day starting Oct 1 till Oct 29. I allocated more hours on weekends and planned to take at least 10 CAT tests during this period in addition to solving sample questions. I followed my timetable on at least 25 out of 29 days and I saw consistency in my practice test results.

There are four takeaways from the paragraph above –
(1) Identify your weaknesses.
(2) Attack your weaknesses by finding specific solutions.
(3) Read suggestions and strategies from all but try to devise one’s own. Remember that just because something worked for someone does not necessarily mean that it will work for you.
(4) Go for a disciplined and planned approach for your prep; a plan that suits you.

Prep material I used –
1) OG11
2) Kaplan 800
3) Kaplan CD companion (for CATs)
4) MGMAT online tests (1 free + 5 paid)  the only prep material that I paid for 
5) Gmatclub free tests

About the prep material –
1) I found OG the best book for practicing sample questions and reviewing explanations
2) Kaplan CAT quant questions are too easy and verbal is too tough
3) MGMAT quant is tougher than the actual test and verbal is at par with actual test
4) Kaplan CAT scoring is horrible and not reliable; MGMAT‘s is close to real
5) Manhattan and gmatclub posts in the forum are outstanding. Special thanks to Manhattan’s explanations to verbal section questions.

I have attached all my test results (practice and real) in this post.

Test day experience –
I had a morning 9:00 appointment for my test on Oct 30 2011. I ate only a banana, drank a glass of milk and ate few nuts for breakfast. Reached the test center at about 8:15 am so had enough time to relax. I was offered a chance to start early so I began at 8:45 am. Completed both my essays and took a break. Used the restroom, ate a banana and NO WATER/JUICE. I did not want to risk a nature’s call ... hehe. Then attempted my quant section. Finished it with 7 minutes remaining but did not submit the last question because I wanted to utilize those 7 minutes for additional relaxation. I know verbal is my weakness so I wanted to give myself all I could before that section. And by the way, while I was resting, I knew I had rocked the quant section :2gunfire: . Then I took the usual 8 min break before the verbal section. My activities remained the same as in the first break. It had to be a good day for me. Things were going my way. My confidence kept rising up as I was going from one question to another in the verbal section because I was able to catch the traps in the questions. I think this is what that made the difference to my verbal score. And yes, forgot to mention – this time they provided a noise reduction headset, something which was a blessing for me. I finished the test with only 40 seconds remaining, I blindly guessed only 2 questions in this section somewhere in the 20s and the 30s (this was based on Stacey’s time management strategy I mentioned earlier). Then I impatiently ran through the personal details section and finally chose to submit my score – a 710 – I couldn’t believe it, I couldn’t move for a while but I was very very happy inside :lol:

About the test content –
1) I saw at least two SC questions based on intent.
2) 3 of the 4 RCs were short and simple. The 4th one was long and complex.
3) I could solve every question in quant but found at least 7-8 of them quite puzzling and tricky. I would not call them hard though.

Sorry for a long debrief. I hope you can derive some useful information from my experience. I would like to thank all the gmatclub members for their amazing posts in this forum. Without your help I wouldn’t have achieved my target score.

I wish each one of you good luck for your test and apps ! :gl
Attachments

File comment: practice test and real test scores
test_result.jpg
test_result.jpg [ 54.92 KiB | Viewed 2664 times ]

p!yu$h
from-620-to-710-my-gmat-story-test-date-30-oct-122547.html#p995276

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIM
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 11

Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations my friend,
Can you share last days plan please?

* An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
** Every single second counts.
*** One KUDO earned is One step closer to GMAT. Help me in getting closer to GMAT.
**** i-invite-you-in-my-gmat-journey-121396.html.

Test Description_______Date____Total___Quant_____ Verbal
GMAT PREP1_____________________610
GMAX online test 1____29.07.2011__540_____43________19
MGMAT CAT 1_________03.09.2011__580____42________28
MGMAT CAT 2_________02.10.2011__690____48________36
GMAX online test 2_____16.10.2011__640____48________32
MGMAT CAT 3_________23.11.2011__670____47________34
Veritas free CAT______ 31.10.2011___630___ 46________33
MGMAT CAT 4_________06.11.2011__690____48________36
MGMAT CAT 5_________13.11.2011__660____46________34
MGMAT CAT 6_________19.11.2011__680____51________33
GMAT PREP2__________23.11.2011__680
GMAT Exam___________24.11.2011__690____50________34

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 18:29
This post received
KUDOS
akbism wrote:

Hi akbism,
Did you mean last few days or just the last day? I will share both.

Last 10 days -
I took a test every alternate day and reviewed the results with explanation the very same day. Identified weaknesses. I was going about 30% wrong in SC questions so made a target to achieve 90% accuracy because SC is easy to improve. Second weakness for CR - only 60% accuracy. So I targeted about 80% in this category. My weakness in quant was number properties, so planned to practice it more.
In between test days, I solved sample questions mainly from OG11 from my weakness categories. Also solved GMATclub "question of the day" religiously, although most of them were easy, the feeling about being able to solve a new question is quite satisfying and is a confidence booster.

The last -
I read only my personal notes on the last day. It does not take me more than 15 minutes to read them. So I read them about 4 times on last day and relaxed and took things easy for the rest of the day. Avoided any spicy or greasy food to ensure a good stomach condition on the test day.
All through my prep, I kept making notes for both Q and V. My Q notes contained a shortcut or a formula which I realized that I have forgotten or is probably new for me. I kept on adding to the notes as the prep progressed. My V notes largely contain SC tips which I pick up from OG and Manhattan blogs explanations. Also I used to add a verb with its meaning if I felt that I encountered it the first time. For me, knowing the meanings of the verbs is far more important than that of nouns as verbs give direction to a topic more effectively than a noun. Thankfully, my understanding worked for me.

All the best to you !

p!yu$h

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 12:12
Many Congratulations!! That's a great score!
Btw u didn't mention your Q and V split( or I just missed it?)
Could you plz share the split and what you did to increase ur comprehension in V?

Thanks and all the best!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 21

Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 13:25
Congratulations!
Can you provide the link to Stacey's time management document which you referred to in your debrief?

Thanks..
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 16:39
Great job! Congratulations.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 17:51
prep wrote:
Congratulations!
Can you provide the link to Stacey's time management document which you referred to in your debrief?

Thanks..

Thanks Prep. Stacey's Link - what-to-do-for-the-last-14-days-before-the-real-test-120895.html
This article contains the link for time management too.

p!yu$h

Intern
Intern

Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 18:13
illrockgmat wrote:
Many Congratulations!! That's a great score!
Btw u didn't mention your Q and V split( or I just missed it?)
Could you plz share the split and what you did to increase ur comprehension in V?

Thanks and all the best!

Hey many thanks for your wishes! My split score is mentioned in the attachment. Nevertheless, I put it here for you - 710, Q50-V35.

For your question about my comprehension - Actually, when I tried to identify my weakness I figured out that comprehension was not my problem, instead weak concentration was. It may seem too simple but cutting off any external noise helped me concentrate better and in turn, comprehend faster. That is it! One other thing I tried to practice was to comprehend enough in the first read; this required me to read slower than normal but not too slow that it could kill my score. Reading a sentence more than once wastes substantial amount of time, one must try to avoid this as much as possible. Do read Stacey's time management blog, its awesome. It works, at least for me :)

Again, as I said earlier, this solution is specific to my weakness and its cause. It may or may not work for you. I recommend that you first try to clearly identify the reason behind your weakness then work upon attacking that reason. You will definitely improve !

All the best friend.

p!yu$h

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 19:30
Wow Piyush congratulations!! Must have been a sigh of relief for you :-)
We are in same city and in the same sector - IT.
May be we can meet or chat sometime. My exam is next month.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 20:30
hi piyushpachori
first of all congrats for a grt score n thanx for ur comprehensive debrief which further reimpose my faith in intelligent hard work..I too am facing a similar challenge, i.e. Verbal so i would like to ask u the following qns:-
1. Did u referred to any specific book for SC ?
2. u said u encountered atleat two intend based SC ( keeping in mind new pattern after latest GMAC bienneal) did u faced any SC question testing IDIOMS?

grt show buddy all d very best

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 00:16
rajeevrks27 wrote:
hi piyushpachori
first of all congrats for a grt score n thanx for ur comprehensive debrief which further reimpose my faith in intelligent hard work..I too am facing a similar challenge, i.e. Verbal so i would like to ask u the following qns:-
1. Did u referred to any specific book for SC ?
2. u said u encountered atleat two intend based SC ( keeping in mind new pattern after latest GMAC bienneal) did u faced any SC question testing IDIOMS?

grt show buddy all d very best

Hi Rajeev,
Thanks! No I did not refer any specific book for SC. OG11 and Kaplan 800 were my only two physical references. Many posts in the forum point at Manhattan SC book to be the best in the market; I have not used that book though. I personally found OG explanations to SC questions and Manhattan blogs on SC as the best answers to my SC related queries.

To answer your second question - I do not remember seeing SC questions based on idioms. This is something good for non-native English speakers.

Good luck to you !

p!yu$h

Intern
Intern

Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 00:37
gautammalik wrote:
Wow Piyush congratulations!! Must have been a sigh of relief for you :-)
We are in same city and in the same sector - IT.
May be we can meet or chat sometime. My exam is next month.

Thanks Gautam. Sure, we can meet up. My contact info in your inbox...

p!yu$h

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 10:14
congrats !!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 11:38
Congrats mate :)
That's a nice improvement !!
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 21:11
Thanx for ur prompt reply buddy n wish u luck for ur future endeavours....

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 22:09
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Thanx for ur prompt reply buddy n wish u luck for ur future endeavours....

You are welcome Rajeev. I owe a lot to this gmatclub community and I am always happy to help as much as I can.

p!yu$h

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIM

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 06:08
piyushpachori wrote:
akbism wrote:

Hi akbism,
Did you mean last few days or just the last day? I will share both.

Last 10 days -
I took a test every alternate day and reviewed the results with explanation the very same day. Identified weaknesses. I was going about 30% wrong in SC questions so made a target to achieve 90% accuracy because SC is easy to improve. Second weakness for CR - only 60% accuracy. So I targeted about 80% in this category. My weakness in quant was number properties, so planned to practice it more.
In between test days, I solved sample questions mainly from OG11 from my weakness categories. Also solved GMATclub "question of the day" religiously, although most of them were easy, the feeling about being able to solve a new question is quite satisfying and is a confidence booster.

The last -
I read only my personal notes on the last day. It does not take me more than 15 minutes to read them. So I read them about 4 times on last day and relaxed and took things easy for the rest of the day. Avoided any spicy or greasy food to ensure a good stomach condition on the test day.
All through my prep, I kept making notes for both Q and V. My Q notes contained a shortcut or a formula which I realized that I have forgotten or is probably new for me. I kept on adding to the notes as the prep progressed. My V notes largely contain SC tips which I pick up from OG and Manhattan blogs explanations. Also I used to add a verb with its meaning if I felt that I encountered it the first time. For me, knowing the meanings of the verbs is far more important than that of nouns as verbs give direction to a topic more effectively than a noun. Thankfully, my understanding worked for me.

All the best to you !

Well explained ..thank you

* An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
** Every single second counts.
*** One KUDO earned is One step closer to GMAT. Help me in getting closer to GMAT.
**** i-invite-you-in-my-gmat-journey-121396.html.

Test Description_______Date____Total___Quant_____ Verbal
GMAT PREP1_____________________610
GMAX online test 1____29.07.2011__540_____43________19
MGMAT CAT 1_________03.09.2011__580____42________28
MGMAT CAT 2_________02.10.2011__690____48________36
GMAX online test 2_____16.10.2011__640____48________32
MGMAT CAT 3_________23.11.2011__670____47________34
Veritas free CAT______ 31.10.2011___630___ 46________33
MGMAT CAT 4_________06.11.2011__690____48________36
MGMAT CAT 5_________13.11.2011__660____46________34
MGMAT CAT 6_________19.11.2011__680____51________33
GMAT PREP2__________23.11.2011__680
GMAT Exam___________24.11.2011__690____50________34

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 07:06
Thanks for the tips. great score.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 18:21
great post. I'm going to have to try the sticking fingers in my ears trick because I get super distracted when reading
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-09-2011

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 08:57
congrats!
Re: From 620 to 710… my GMAT story – test date : 30 Oct 2011   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2011, 08:57