Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: From 630 -> 730 - Mission Accomplished....Detailed Debrief [#permalink]
A great post!!!Thnx for such a detailed info!

I took my GMAT couple of days back.Got a 690(Quant49,Verbal 35).Though, I was expecting a 700+ , but just missed that .I am planning on a retake but in my current GMAT attempt I have almost done all the prep material, ie. OG 11 verbal,OG 12,Manhatten GMAT SC,Manhatten GMAT CR, and Kaplan Advanced.Besides all this, I did the two GMAT prep tests and a free MGMAT test.I took around 2 months of preparation time.Now, I am really stuck on the issue that in the retake what more and how should I be studying.From your and some other posts I feel that RC 99 and SC Grail are great books.So,plan to buy them.However, I feel that my major weakness is the verbal section,especially the RCs and CRs.In CRs, I generally tend to take around 2 mins per question and that really sucks a major portion of my time on the verbal section.Moeover, while during practise I could finish a verbal section on time(I used to make a set of 41-42 verbal questions including 3-4 RCs,12-13 CRs , and around 15 SCs and used to time them), on the actual exam I just could not read the last RC and had to guess away with all the questions.So, if you could help me figure out how I could work on the verbal section then it would be a great help!!!

Morever, my profile is a typical Indian IT female.So, do I have chances to get into a good b school with my current score and what would bean ideal score for me to make it to a top 50b school.

Thanx in advance..
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
That's awesome!! Great score (what a breakdown, Q51, V40!!).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@Shovit:

Thnx a lot for the reply! Will try to build up my reading speed by reading the magazines suggested by you!Had thought of reading "The Economist" earlier also but I guess I was a bit lazy.....Shall post updates once I decide my GMAT retake date or when I have some queries!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
delhi123 wrote:
@Shovit:

Thnx a lot for the reply! Will try to build up my reading speed by reading the magazines suggested by you!Had thought of reading "The Economist" earlier also but I guess I was a bit lazy.....Shall post updates once I decide my GMAT retake date or when I have some queries!!

Sure. Good luck. One more suggestion I have is that get active on gmatclub. That will really keep you in the GMAT world and help you maintain momentum.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Congratulations..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
Congratulations..

Thanks! All the best for your prep!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
@shovitdhar
Any idea how good are the 800score tests ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I am struggling with the RC -99 and normally the strike rate is like 50%. Could you please let me know what was the strategy you followed for while doing the RC. For example I read the 1 para in detail and makes notes and than make note of the first line of all the rest of the para and than read the last para in detail and make notes. Is this is the right strategy

Another thing is that is there any perticular strategy that you followed for the complex scientific passages because it is impossible to retain the dense information. I would be thankful if you could reply back as I have my GMAT exam pretty close.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
agautam7879 wrote:
I am struggling with the RC -99 and normally the strike rate is like 50%. Could you please let me know what was the strategy you followed for while doing the RC. For example I read the 1 para in detail and makes notes and than make note of the first line of all the rest of the para and than read the last para in detail and make notes. Is this is the right strategy

This strategy seems fine but does it work for you ? Everyone has a different approach to RC and you have to figure out what works for you. Did you try your hit rate in the passages in OG? Did you take the GMATPREP CATs and how much accuracy did you register in those CATs ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@shovitdhar
Did you take the GMAT PowerPrep tests ? I got a 740 on the first test I took ? I think the test was easy ? Any inputs on this ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bob75 wrote:
@shovitdhar
Did you take the GMAT PowerPrep tests ? I got a 740 on the first test I took ? I think the test was easy ? Any inputs on this ?

Yeah, I had taken Powerprep tests. I think they are not exactly computer adaptive. Most of the questions were not difficult and a lot of them were from OG10. Since I had been through OG10 , I knew quite a few questions in verbal. You may wanna take the Powerprep tests to get into the flow of test taking but do not take the score very seriously.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
You're right that powerprep has questions from OG10.I read it somewhere here on the forum. I took a second Powerprep test today evening and got a 690. It was a little shocking to me because I thought that the test was fairly easy and I was doing well on the test. But the score stumped me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bob75 wrote:
You're right that powerprep has questions from OG10.I read it somewhere here on the forum. I took a second Powerprep test today evening and got a 690. It was a little shocking to me because I thought that the test was fairly easy and I was doing well on the test. But the score stumped me.

Do not bother too much about the scores right now. 20-30 points up or down don't matter much. What is more important is the analysis of the test. Make sure that you spend a good amount of time doing that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hey what did you do when you got questions wrong in RC99 passages? did you just move on? how did you clear the concepts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Mahtab wrote:
Hey what did you do when you got questions wrong in RC99 passages? did you just move on? how did you clear the concepts?

I would revisit the questions irrespective of whether I got them wrong or right. Instead of reading the explanation first, I'd try to figure out the correct answer in case i answered the question wrongly. Moving on to the next passages without thorough analysis of your mistakes is of little worth because you'll keep on making the same mistakes. As far as concepts are concerned, I don't think that there are any big concepts in RC to be learnt. For strategies, you can go through Gin's RC guide in the RC forum of gmatclub. I found the strategies there helpful.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Media,Entertainment
Send PM
@shovit
in your profile panel, I see that you have put entrepreneurship as one of your concentrations . Don't you plan to apply to Babson college ? That's supposed to be no.1 for entrepreneurship
Intern
Intern
Send PM
good analysis
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderator:
Founder