Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2015, 18:51
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 660 to 710

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 4

From 660 to 710 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 02:59
This post received
KUDOS
I just got back from my second attempt at the GMAT with a score of 710 (Q:50, V:36). These are my thoughts :D

My first attempt at the GMAT was in March 2010. Back then, I have already enlisted the help a GMAT prep course to attempt to hit my target score of 700+. In the end I only managed a score of 660 (Q:47 V:33). Prior to this I only used GMAT OG 12th edition as my reference text and the educational supplies that were granted by my prep course (they sucked).

I would like to say that I also bought GMAT 2009 (McGraw Hill) and Math Workout for the GMAT (The princeton Review). IMO these 2 are among the worst books on GMAT ever!

Then fast-forward to December 2010 when I decided I should go for a second attempt. That was when I chanced upon this fantastic forum GMATCLUB :-D. I cannot stress just how helpful this site has been in providing much needed information and also how inspirational the forum has been in providing a look at other people's struggle with the GMAT. Although I didnt follow most of the recommended study guides, I did pick up a couple of useful pointers

1) I believe most of us here are better at quantitative than verbal questions. So it is absolutely critical to get a good foundation in verbal. In particular, sentence correction is a must to do relatively well in. Through this forum, I learned how important it is to get Sentence Correction from the Manhattan GMAT series. If, you could only afford ONE book (in addition to OG 12th), i would highly recommend that this be the one. Prior to finding this forum, I didn't know of the existence of the Manhattan series!

2) After buying at least one Manhattan GMAT book, attempt to do a few of the CATs provided by the book. My only gripe with the CAT offered by GMAT is that the Quantitative portion is actually harder than the actual GMAT. HOWEVER, this is a good thing! Because after attempting a few MGMAT CATs, you would find yourself much better prepared psychologically for the quantitative section of the actual GMAT.

3) While attempting the GMAT, if you find yourself lagging behind in time (which is less likely happen if you paced yourself well) and stuck at a particular question (especially in the quantitative section), just GUESS and move on! Your GMAT score won't drastically drop by 50 points just because you answered one question wrongly. On the other hand, if you couldn't finish a section in time, IMO you will get penalized HEAVILY. I guessed 3-4 questions during my second attempt at the GMAT (literally just clicking on a random option and then click next) and I got a quantitative score of 50.

Having said this, my only regret was that perhaps I have not spent enough time on practicing critical reasoning or listening comprehension. My score is 710 due to a high quantitative score of 50 and an average verbal score of 36. Despite this, I did improve upon my verbal score (which was 33 on my 1st attempt) and I believe I couldn't have done so without this Forum or MGMAT guides.

Perhaps for those who are good at quantitative, my experience would show that with a high Quantitative score, a moderate increase in verbal can actually propel you above 700+

Anyway thanks for reading and good luck for the rest of you preparing for the test!
As Paulo Coelho says: “When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.” (If you want it badly enough I think :lol: )
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: From 660 to 710 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 04:50
Actually I was thinking should I retake the GMAT for the third time? My verbal is only 36. If I managed to increase my verbal to to 40 (which was the minimum I get with mgmat and gmat prep cats) I might be able to hit 740-750 assuming my quant stays high..

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Director
Director
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: Haas '18, Kelley '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 78

Re: From 660 to 710 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 05:53
Congratulations on having made it to the 700 range :D

"Wherever you go, go with all your heart" - Confucius

Useful Threads

1. How to Review and Analyze your Mistakes (Post by BB at GMAT Club)

2. 4 Steps to Get the Most out out of your CATs (Manhattan GMAT Blog)

My Experience With GMAT

1. From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT

2. Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 31

Re: From 660 to 710 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 06:22
hi.....an inspiring post and a morale booster for ppl like me who r getting scared with each passing day. However can u pls tell me few things.........iam exactly 04 weeks away from my exam scheduled on 20 apr11......( have already rescheduled once)
and since last two months i am not improving much on score......quant i am managing between 44-47 but verbal is a nightmare ,,,best achieved so far is 31......and iam just gettin tired of practising verbal,,,,,,can u tell me following
a) how much were u scoring on ur practice tests.....on an average..??

b) how do i improve on RC,cos no matter what i do i take atleast 6- 8 min to read the passage..??

c) last month tips if any...??

regards
Intern
Intern

Re: From 660 to 710 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 07:50
Entwistle wrote:
Congratulations on having made it to the 700 range :D

I see that you have gotten a 710 as well... I would love to have your verbal score though :|
Director
Director
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: Haas '18, Kelley '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 78

Re: From 660 to 710 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 07:56
drifting wrote:
I see that you have gotten a 710 as well... I would love to have your verbal score though :|

... and I would love to have your Quant Score :-D

lol...

I'm retaking the test... Shooting for a +760 score ;)
I'm aiming for a quant score of 51 and a verbal score of 44 8-)
Right now I'm working on my Quant section... I intend to finish all the GMAT Club math tests by end of April. From then on, I'll start working on the verbal part.
If all goes well... I'll start taking practice tests in June and write my GMAT in July.

"Wherever you go, go with all your heart" - Confucius

Useful Threads

1. How to Review and Analyze your Mistakes (Post by BB at GMAT Club)

2. 4 Steps to Get the Most out out of your CATs (Manhattan GMAT Blog)

My Experience With GMAT

1. From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT

2. Quest to do my Best - My GMAT Journey Log

Intern
Intern

Re: From 660 to 710 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 08:03
punyadeep wrote:
hi.....an inspiring post and a morale booster for ppl like me who r getting scared with each passing day. However can u pls tell me few things.........iam exactly 04 weeks away from my exam scheduled on 20 apr11......( have already rescheduled once)
and since last two months i am not improving much on score......quant i am managing between 44-47 but verbal is a nightmare ,,,best achieved so far is 31......and iam just gettin tired of practising verbal,,,,,,can u tell me following
a) how much were u scoring on ur practice tests.....on an average..??

b) how do i improve on RC,cos no matter what i do i take atleast 6- 8 min to read the passage..??

c) last month tips if any...??

regards

Heres the scores for the practice CATs:

MGMAT 1: TYPE SCORE ESTIMATED PERCENTILE RANK
Quantitative 38 55 %
Verbal 33 69 %
Total 590 67 %

MGMAT 2: TYPE SCORE ESTIMATED PERCENTILE RANK
Quantitative 47 81 %
Verbal 39 89 %
Total 700 93 %

MGMAT 3: TYPE SCORE ESTIMATED PERCENTILE RANK
Quantitative 51 99 %
Verbal 45 99 %
Total 780 99 %

I stopped taking the MGMAT score after that as I felt perhaps the score of 780 was not truly reflective of my progress

So I decided to try GMAT prep software instead where i ended up getting a score of 740. And i got a score of 710 for my actual GMAT. So it is quite true that you should deduct 30-50 points off the score from your gmat prep software to get an idea of what you might get in the actual GMAT

As for how to improve on RC, I am afraid I not in a good position to give advice as you can see my verbal score is not exactly fantastic. However, a few days before taking the GMAT, i was researching on "The PowerScore LSAT Reading Comprehension Bible" but I ended up not buying it due to time contraints. Basically the RC passages within the book is harder than the actual GMAT, so by practicing the content in this book, it may prepare you well for the actual GMAT? But i have read opinions here that states that the RC questions asked in this book is different from the GMAT in some ways and you might end up learning unneeded or even wrong test-taking strategies.
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 75

Re: From 660 to 710 [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 10:20
great job
Re: From 660 to 710   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2011, 10:20