Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 670 to 750 (planning to retake)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 50

From 670 to 750 (planning to retake) [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 06:20
No, no, just joking. I’m extremely happy with my score and I’d like to thank every single one in this community. Now let’s get to my story…

August 2012: 670 (Q50 V29)
April 2014: 750 (Q51 V40)

In my first attempt, I did a couple of things wrong. I studied for 12 weeks. However, I dove right into solving problems without first strengthening my core. I’m saying this for verbal because my math was always great. So,

LESSON 1: Build your core first!

Anyways, I studied a lot and the day came. Everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong on that day. I hadn’t practiced stamina enough, therefore I LITERALLY slept through last 10 questions of verbal, dying to get out of there.

LESSON 2: Build stamina! This is very very important.

When I saw my score of 670, I was very disappointed. I was sure that I could have done better. Then, I decided to put business school behind me and give up.

January 2014! I decided to retake. I was going to study harder and smarter. I made myself a 14 week plan. I used a 1-2 quant-verbal split since I was still very good on quant. 4 weeks of quant. And then 8 weeks of verbal. Last 2 weeks were all about strategy, error log, reading. So, this time around I used MGMAT Verbal books. My God! How did I miss out on these?!?! These are holy books of GMAT!

LESSON 3: Use MGMAT books!!!

In the last 5 weeks, I took a CAT each weekend. (4 Gmatpreps and 1 Manhattan) Until this point, my goal was 710-720. However, my first CAT made my expectations higher!

Gmatprep 1: 720
Gmatprep 2: 740
Manhattan: 690 (don’t know how this happened)
Gmatprep 3: 750
Gmatprep 4: 770

LESSON 4: Always aim higher!

I increased my score and stamina as I went through all my materials.

And one more thing. Kudos to bb! I took Gmatprep 4 just one day before my real exam. I woke up at the same time, wore same clothes, did the test on exactly same time. Some people swear this is a bad idea but it worked for me!

LESSON 5: Use last Gmatprep as late as possible!

So, after 14 weeks of stress and studying I got what I wanted. I traveled 300 miles to take the test. I dreamt about GMAT, I skipped work for GMAT. It was a hard 14 weeks. But the ending was great! I hope it will be so for everyone else! Cheers.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: From 670 to 750 (planning to retake) [#permalink] New post 07 May 2014, 21:27
Congratz on the awesome score!!! Is there any thing besides stronger stamina that pushes up your verbal score? Can you share your tips on how to deal with each type of Verbal qns?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: From 670 to 750 (planning to retake) [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 01:48
Nice score.... Can you suggest me some best books which will help to score high? Thanking you in advance.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 50

Re: From 670 to 750 (planning to retake) [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 12:52
ndqv0709 wrote:
Congratz on the awesome score!!! Is there any thing besides stronger stamina that pushes up your verbal score? Can you share your tips on how to deal with each type of Verbal qns?

Stamina was probably %70 of my increase. The second most important part was definitely MGMAT books. Those books build a great foundation. I think I had the biggest improvement in SC, because there are rules and you won't miss an SC question if you know all of them! I went throught the MGMAT SC book 3 times. :lol: And I mastered SC.

Regarding RC, I listened to bb's advice and read high quality fiction books. Every night before bed, I read 2-3 Financial Times articles. I think this helped.

My CR was pretty good anyways. However, if I had to give one advice, I'd say master boldface questions! You'll get one if your goal is 700+. And getting this one right and fast is crucial.

Cheers!
Re: From 670 to 750 (planning to retake)   [#permalink] 09 May 2014, 12:52