Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 670 to 770(Q50 V44)....the Debreif

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

From 670 to 770(Q50 V44)....the Debreif [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 15:14
I believe the key differences between the two attempts was

1. I slept much better the night before during the 2nd attempt.
2. Took the exam at 1:15PM instead of 9AM. This really helps because you dont have to get up early and rush to the exam centre. The key to the thing is slow down your day. Do everything slowly and be relaxed.
3. Took full advantage of the breaks. Go take your mind of the exam. Eat and drink something to keep up your energy. Make sure that each section almost feels like attempting a different exam.

During my first attempt my gmat prep scores were 720 and 740 so i did hope to cross 700. So 670 was a disappointment but i would have never hoped to hit 770 as i did in the second attempt.

I took my first attempt in march 07. So the important thing i took enough time between the attempts. I started studying for the second attempt in July. So i effectively had 2 months.

I knew verbal was my weakness especially scentence correction but RC and CR were not that strong either. But i was quite confident in Quants. But i made sure that i utilized my strength well. I still practiced difficult quant questions in between to make sure i hit anything between 49-51 in quants.

For the SC, i did almost 850 of 1000 SC set. This really helped me get an idea of almost all the types of different questions i can encounter on the exam. I wanted to make sure that I got all the easy to medium difficult questions right. For this i used the GMATTER software that was available on the web. Of course Manhattan SC book was my grammer bible.

I think my strength on the verbal was CR and RC. The key to both is to eliminate atleast 3 choices and learn to choose the best answer between the two.
1. Be ruthless when it comes to eliminating answers. Eliminate all unrelated answers and answers that are not supported by the premises.
2. Do not choose extreme answers(Must, will etc)

For RC when you encounter a long passage just read through it quickly to got an idea of the structure. Then while answering the questions read the relevant portions again carefully. But otherwise apply most of the rules that apply for CR.

My scores for GMAT prep were as follows. I did have some repeats for the verbal section.

GMAT Prep Q49 V44 760
GMAT Prep Q51 V44 770

Since i was quite strong in quants I really cant give much strategies for that.

1. I bought the difficult GMAT challenge questions and did them
2. Learn to guess effectively. Looking at the question narrow down your answer choices and then take a guess. This is a art and has to be learned. For example if the questions involves triangles and has angles like 30 and 60. then you know the ratio of the sides are in 1:root 3:2. So based on this you can narrow down the answers
3. Practice and practice and get your basics right. I believe that spending too much time learning complex probability and combinations is a waste. Just get your basics right.
4. Put down even the simplest of problems on paper and solve. I tend to commit a lot of mistakes if i just look at the problem visually and solve mentally.

The most important of all. Be confident and relaxed. I went for a jog the day before the exam to clear my mind of all the stress that builds up in the last few days prior to exam.

Best of Luck to all aspiring gmatters.

Cheers,
Aditya
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 16:54
wow!
great score. congratulations.

So, what do you think whats a big difference in a guy who get 670 than a guy who gets 770?
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 18:23
asaf wrote:
wow!
great score. congratulations.

So, what do you think whats a big difference in a guy who get 670 than a guy who gets 770?

Just another example confirming that GMAT is definitely a standardized test that if studied for consistently can lead to superb results.
Everyone owes it to himself to take the test at least twice if not satisfied with the first attempt.

Great job!
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 19:20
Thats great Aditya ! What a confidence booster your debrief is !!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 19:20
Well there is no difference except the confidence and state of mind.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 20:15
Some outstanding tips here. They almost mirror my own experiences with verbal hell. Well done again on your score.

"
For the SC, i did almost 850 of 1000 SC set. This really helped me get an idea of almost all the types of different questions i can encounter on the exam. I wanted to make sure that I got all the easy to medium difficult questions right. For this i used the GMATTER software that was available on the web. Of course Manhattan SC book was my grammer bible.

I think my strength on the verbal was CR and RC. The key to both is to eliminate atleast 3 choices and learn to choose the best answer between the two.
1. Be ruthless when it comes to eliminating answers. Eliminate all unrelated answers and answers that are not supported by the premises.
2. Do not choose extreme answers(Must, will etc)
"
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 23:13
wonderful score. congratulations.
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 04:29
Nice work! Congratulations :) I'm aiming for a 760-780 myself, will take your advice into consideration when i study. I'm going to write it in Poland in two weeks time.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

just goes 2 show wat mastering the basics can do [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 09:14
first of all congrats on the awesome score!!!!!!! M surprised with how similar ur debrief is to mine. I think this just reinforces the fact that mastering the basics is key rather than trying to solve every tough questions that there is. Just goes to show what keepin things simple, concentratin on mastering the basics can do. Gr8 score n debrief n all the luck with the apps!!!!!
just goes 2 show wat mastering the basics can do   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2007, 09:14