Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: From 720 (46Q, 44V) to 740 (48Q, 44V): Struggle w/ quant? [#permalink]
Super, congrats! I was wondering do you have a background in math or did you need to study for everything from scratch.. I have a gmat coming up in 4 weeks but pfff it's still going like $##@$ :(
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Congratulations on such a great score! You're right MGMAT strategy guides are they key to unlocking quant. Like you I struggled greatly with quant so I know the time you must've put in to really master the material. Q48 is a really good achievement. Good luck with your applications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Super, congrats! I was wondering do you have a background in math or did you need to study for everything from scratch.. I have a gmat coming up in 4 weeks but pfff it's still going like $##@$ :(

I was a philosophy major in college, though I took a bunch of econ, calc I and II, stats, intro finance, comp sci I and II, and some other stuff. That was years ago though, and I felt that when it came to the material on the quant I had to start from scratch.

Are you studying full-time? If so, get the MGMAT math books to start. Begin with the "foundations" one and do all the others before finishing with "word translations" and "FDPs" (simply because those types of problems test the material that is covered in other books). Try to bust through the content and problem sets of one per day, while leaving the OG problem sets at the back of the book to do the following couple days while you tackle new content. Try to do a practice test every three or so days to put the skills you are building to the test. Think of it this way: you are building math muscle. Like any muscle, you need to keep working your math out so that you keep it fresh in your mind.

Once you have tackled the MGMAT books, get cranking on the GMATClub sets. Get through that and you will see massive improvements.

Note: during the process of learning content, you may not get great scores despite your effort, and you may find yourself forgetting stuff that you already learned. That is normal, just go back and review. Think of it like carrying laundry in your arms and trying to pick up more laundry. Sometimes when you dip down to pick up a sock, another one falls. You will eventually get all that laundry under control! The scores only REALLY start improving once you have nearly all of the content learned/mastered.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts