Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 12:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From 720 to 690

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 77 [2] , given: 14

From 720 to 690 [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 13:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I've just came back from the test center and I have some i,pressions I want to share with you guys (and girls, of course).

Feeling neither disappointed nor satisfied, I don't want to talk about the reasons I decided to retake after 720 but rather to compare actual level of GMAT compared to the difficulty level in spring 2008 since there are some rummors that verbal is becomming harder.
Well, this maybe is true, especially for Sentence Correction. In my previous attempt I scored 720(Q48, V41), you can find my detailed debrief here: 8-t62656 This time score was 690 (Q47, V37), difference is particularly visible in the verbal part.

First of all, I can say that RC and CR are very, very similar to those I experienced in April, which again is very similar to those in GMATPrep software. If you have troubles with these areas, probably you'll have in the future, too; if not, there's no reason to worry. I really can't say I saw ANYTHING overhere I didn't see in the OG and GPrep.

Now for the SC... This area of GMAT is turning into a nightmare. I firmly believe that all 4 points I lost between my two attemts are attributable to Sentence Correction. No, MGMAT SC is certainly not enough any more, and OG is not a Bible any more. Of course, these two books are inevitable for any serious GMAT test taker, but certainly not enough. In this moment I really don't know what could help, the most serious tool I saw in this forum is the list of SC questions extracted from GPrep. I know that there is somewhere little software based on these same questions. Try to find it overhere: 8-t68657
I think that guy named Sterny put together these questions so try to find his posts (if it wasn't Sterny, my apologies to the author :oops: ).

Math difficulty level was exactly the same as it was in April. Although I've come across some weird questions I really can't say that anything was new. Of course, emphasis was on exponents, exponents and some more exponents... Damn! Also, there was pretty large portion of percentage increase/decrease questions and questions regarding interest. Again, not a single one probability/combinatorics question! Anyway, if you pass through OG and MGMAT study books, you'll see nothing new.

In conclusion, Verbal has become slightly more difficult due to increased difficulty level of SC. I can say that in April SC looked more like SCs from GMATPrep1 and now it looks more like SCs from GMATprep2. Any experienced Gprep user will know what I'm talking about. But there's no much reason to worry about, we are talking here about 4-5 points drop, anyone who scored 44-45 has nothing to worry about. I saw some really low scores in the forum last couple of weeks (20-22) and I can say that these results are not caused by increased difficulty level of Verbal.

I wish you all best luck, especially 700+ retakers. Who dares wins. I didn't but maybe you would, who knows...

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 14

Re: From 720 to 690 [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2009, 06:37
This post received
KUDOS
BlindVision wrote:
I've taken the GMATPrep1 recently, does the overall difficulty level increase in GMATPrep 2? Or, is the SC the only part that gets more difficult?

Thank you mate.

No, not really. Overall difficulty of the two tests is at par, the only part which makes trouble is SC in GP2 because it's way harder than SC in the first test.

My GMAT experience

SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 463 [0], given: 5

Re: From 720 to 690 [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 13:09
Thanks for sharing....Good information.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: From 720 to 690 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 10:04
hey buddy,
felt bad to hear that ur score declined coz when i read ur 720 post i thought u might hv cracked 750 barrier..anyways nothing to worry as univ consider highest scores of the lot isnt it?? what do u think? have u taken gmat again or planning to do so??
also i have replied to ur post on my thread pls reply.
best of luck not only in applications but in future life,
god bless
bye!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: From 720 to 690 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 11:00
hy.....can ya send me the docs for 1000 CRs,SCs,RCs to ma mail id.

plz its urgent...ma date is very near.
thanks in advance..

ma mail id is....ankit.yd7@gmail.com
GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

Re: From 720 to 690 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 11:25
I would like to send you, but I don't have it any more :oops:

Anyway, it shouldn't be problem to find it in this forum. Try search for them, in the end of the dat, I've found all three 1000 series overhere - in GMATclub.

My GMAT experience

GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

Re: From 720 to 690 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 14:50
superguy619 wrote:
hey buddy,
felt bad to hear that ur score declined coz when i read ur 720 post i thought u might hv cracked 750 barrier..anyways nothing to worry as univ consider highest scores of the lot isnt it?? what do u think? have u taken gmat again or planning to do so??
also i have replied to ur post on my thread pls reply.
best of luck not only in applications but in future life,
god bless
bye!!

Thank you for your kind words, superguy. Don't feel bad for me, please - if you look for dates of my two attempts and subsequent admit stories you'll see that haven't damaged my application process. Well, my confidence maybe was shaken a bit, but that's the life.

I think that THE most important factor for my score drop was lage gap between two attemts and, consequently, burnout. Never mind - universities do look only for the highest score.

My GMAT experience

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: From 720 to 690 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 21:25
Pathfinder wrote:
I can say that in April SC looked more like SCs from GMATPrep1 and now it looks more like SCs from GMATprep2. Any experienced Gprep user will know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for sharing your experience; I've enjoyed reading both of your debriefs! Excellent job on the 720!

I've taken the GMATPrep1 recently, does the overall difficulty level increase in GMATPrep 2? Or, is the SC the only part that gets more difficult?

All the best and plenty of success to you, Pathfinder!

Life is a Test

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: From 720 to 690 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2009, 06:02
It happens Pathfinder, its part of life...
Don't get disheartened
720 is a great score and I am sure most schools accept the highest score...
Are you applying for schools now....or taking another chance.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard Business School, Stanford
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

Re: From 720 to 690 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2009, 01:24
You are brave enough to retake the test after getting 720! Good job anyway.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: From 720 to 690 [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 03:15
You like challenge yourself... you are very brave !
I think if I can get 720 I won't try another time : GMAT is an intersting test but there are many other things to do than preparing this test...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 16

Re: From 720 to 690 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 06:27
First of all, you still got a great score. I am sure your GMAT scores will not be holding you back in your apps.

Thanks for all of the great info... it makes me consider very carefully whether I will want to do this test twice.

:-D
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg MMM (Ding), Sloan LGO, Wharton (Ding), Stern (Ding), Booth (Ding), Haas (R3)
WE 1: Sr Product Manager
WE 2: Product Manager
WE 3: Sales Engineer

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: From 720 to 690 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 13:11
I jut retook today an went from 700(q44/v41) score 18 months ago to 660(q47/v35) today. Not sure what happened. I'm shattered though. Verbal was definitely more difficult. It's getting late in the game so I'm not sure if I should retake again. I need to start focusing on my essays but part of me feels I should retake while it's fresh. I burned out though. I'm also taking a UCLA Extension stats course and working full time. In all the practice test I took prior to this retake I had never gotten a V35 so don't know what happened. Bad test day I suppose... I was trending at 730 on GMATprep CATs just days before.

What do you guys think?

I'm targeting Stern, Kellogg, Booth, Anderson, Wharton, Sloan, Haas, and LBS.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: From 720 to 690   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2010, 13:11