Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 10:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From a 650 to a 710

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
From a 650 to a 710 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 01:45
Hi,

I've only posted on GMATClub less than 5 times, but decided to post my experience here to encourage others to beat the GMAT. When I first took the GMAT last year in November, I scored a 650. I realized that I needed a higher score to be competitive to the top schools and so begun the journey to the GMAT again.

I think the biggest difference between my first and recent preparations was using GMATClub and 1000SC at least 4 times a week, I would sit down to do some SC (25 questions) and for every question that I got wrong, I would search for the answer on GMATClub. It's really easy with the Search function - just search for a string of text from the question, chances are that somebody else has already asked about the question and explanations are available. I only managed to complete 350 questions from the 1000SC bank.

I also realized that my verbal improved when I caught myself running Sentence Correction procedures in my head during conversations with other people - correcting my own mistakes and their mistakes in my mind. I think part of the key to improving Verbal is to internalize the language as much as possible.

Other than that, I didn't touch much on Quant - just doing the OG again and reading the Manhattan GMAT Quant collection. Nothing exceptionally spectacular there except that I realized that I should perfect my basics. Manhattan GMAT has a pretty good run down on the basics. However, I'm thankful that my score didn't drop and maintained itself at Q48 (86%).

So, today I took the GMAT. The Quant ride was hard from the start and got even harder in the middle, however, easy questions started to pop up towards then end which made me realize that I had probably screwed up somewhere and wasn't going to score too high. Verbal was ok, I guess a lot of it was because I've conditioned myself by doing verbal so regularly that it felt like a practice session. So that was really good, some of the RC was really long winded and technical, so I figured that chances were I was doing something right.

To cap it all, I scored a 710 (Q48 V40). And honestly, I have to say, THANK YOU GMATCLUB for improving my Verbal. I don't know what I would have done without being able to check for explanations on GMATClub.

WHOA! I'M DONE WITH THE GMAT!

P/s have a good breakfast - I had 2 hardboiled eggs and a muesli bar. Something light yet filling, my breakfast was able to sustain me throughout the morning. I had another muesli bar during the 10 minute break.

p/p/s I just realized that my 710 is just 10 short of my target 720. Haha. Sweet.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 02:12
Congrats adc_away for joining the 700 club.
All the best for the next part.

As you have pointed out, GMAT club is by far the best source for preparation. Can you please write more about the practice tests you took and the accuracy about those ?

One more question guys, i have a freind who scored 720 with exactly same breakup Q48, V40 and also i think there was one person bsd_lover scored 720 with the same breakup. Can same breakup , results in different scores ? Just curious you know ..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 05:59
Well, I only took 4 practice tests

GMAT Prep 1 - 680
Manhattan GMAT - 700
GMAT Prep 2 - 670
Manhattan GMAT - 650 (same day as the GMAT Prep 2)

As you can see, the practice test scores were not reflective of my actual results. But the closest was my first Manhattan GMAT test, incidently, my Q and V scores on it were nearly the same - lower Q score vs V score. I wasn't too freaked about that as long as my Q score didn't drop below 80%.

I think the new percentile breakdowns are Q48 V40 = 710. I must have missed the 720 boat by a bit. But that's something I also noticed from reading the posts here, usually a Q48 V40 = 720. But I think from now on a Q40 V40 = 710.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 07:13
How can this be ? I had Q48 and V40 and ended up with a score of 720 ???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 07:25
When did you get the 720?

OMG!!! PEARSON VUE IS SHORT CHANGING ME!!! :?

hmm. I think there's been a shift in the percentiles though. maybe it's deemed, harder? What was your % though? I'm at 710 (94%)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 689 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 07:50
bsd_lover wrote:
How can this be ? I had Q48 and V40 and ended up with a score of 720 ???

Judging by the way they score (looking at the scoring tables for old paper tests) it is possible. You could have gotten one more right in the Verbal or Quant and gotten the 720 vs. 710. Chances are you just broke that 720 line and he just missed it. This is probably the reason we all hear about schools considering ranges like 700-730 as being pretty equal.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 07:52
adc_away, reading your post was like reading my own mind- I could not stop being surprised for a few minuts! :) In May I scored 640 (Q48, V29). My currect prep is EXACTLY the same as yours :)
I am in the same boat as you WERE.
I will retake in January , though.
I would be just happy to score 710!

Congratulations mate!
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 17:32
My percentile was 96. Cant be a shift in the percentiles, I took mine less than a month ago.

Ah well.. congratulations anyway, theres not much difference. Focus on the applications.

adc_away wrote:

hmm. I think there's been a shift in the percentiles though. maybe it's deemed, harder? What was your % though? I'm at 710 (94%)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2007, 17:39
bsd_lover wrote:
My percentile was 96. Cant be a shift in the percentiles, I took mine less than a month ago.

Ah well.. congratulations anyway, theres not much difference. Focus on the applications.

adc_away wrote:

interesting!!!!!!

:idea: but could be possible and depends upon how difficult questions you hit correctly.

seems the point difference is not more than 10.

& congrats "adc_away" for 700+ score. :flower
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 00:27
thanks guys

bsd_lover: it's definitely a shift in percentiles. While the 720 looks better than a 710, I don't think it will be a material difference.. I hope not >.<

botirvoy: all the best man. It's a definite possibility to do well (esp. with help from GMAT Club) :) Hope to read your success post!

himalayan: thanks. :)

onward to the next step... applications.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 00:46
Yeah,

Good luck buddy..

adc_away wrote:
thanks guys

bsd_lover: it's definitely a shift in percentiles. While the 720 looks better than a 710, I don't think it will be a material difference.. I hope not >.<

botirvoy: all the best man. It's a definite possibility to do well (esp. with help from GMAT Club) :) Hope to read your success post!

himalayan: thanks. :)

onward to the next step... applications.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2007, 10:03
adc_away wrote:

thanks. I am tuning myself to do better. For now you are welcome to read my loser post though, below :)
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=45309
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 10:01
congratulations for the improvement!!!!
i'm trying to improve my verbal also
will try to follow your tips
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2007, 10:05
Really useful tips.. Thanks for sharing it with us. Especially Verbal tips.

Congrats and good luck to your application process.
MRD.
  [#permalink] 31 Jul 2007, 10:05