Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From a jar that contains marbles, including 7 red marbles,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 03-03-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

From a jar that contains marbles, including 7 red marbles, [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 06:44
From a jar that contains marbles, including 7 red marbles, Jennifer can select two marbles simultaneously, and if both are red she wins a prize. From the table below, select the choices that provide a total number of marbles in the jar and a corresponding percent probability that Jennifer will win.

Total number of marbles % likelihood that Jennifer wins

[Reveal] Spoiler:
10 and 21

Thanks
crazy4priya
GMATPrep 1 710/Q49/V38
GMATPrep 2 690/Q49/V34
Veritas Prep 700/Q50/V36/IR5
MGMT Test 1 700/Q51/V35/IR3

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 467

Kudos [?]: 1846 [0], given: 29

Re: From a jar that contains marbles, including 7 red marbles, [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 13:23
Expert's post
crazypriya wrote:
From a jar that contains marbles, including 7 red marbles, Jennifer can select two marbles simultaneously, and if both are red she wins a prize. From the table below, select the choices that provide a total number of marbles in the jar and a corresponding percent probability that Jennifer will win.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
10 and 21

Dear crazypriya,
I'm happy to help. :-)

I don't know that there's a good way to do this other than plugging in one at at time. Let
N = total number of marbles.
If N = 7, then there's a 100% chance of picking two red marbles. That doesn't work.

If N = 10, then there's a 7/10 chance of getting red on the first pick, and 6/9 = 1/3 of getting red on the second pick. That's a (7/10)*(1/3) = 7/30 chance, which is approx. 23.33%. That doesn't work.

If N = 20, then there's a 7/20 chance of getting red on the first pick, and 6/19 of getting red on the second pick. That's a (7/20)*(6/19) = 21/190 chance, which is slightly more than 10 percent. That doesn't work.

If N = 21, then there's a 7/21 = 1/3 chance of getting red on the first pick, and 6/20 = 3/10 of getting red on the second pick. That's a (1/3)*(3/10) = 1/10, or 10% chance. This works.

I disagree with the order of answers given in the spoiler. The total number of marbles is 21, and the % probability that Jennifer wins is 10.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 03-03-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: From a jar that contains marbles, including 7 red marbles, [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2013, 18:15
mikemcgarry wrote:
crazypriya wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
10 and 21

Dear crazypriya,
I'm happy to help. :-)

I don't know that there's a good way to do this other than plugging in one at at time. Let
N = total number of marbles.
If N = 7, then there's a 100% chance of picking two red marbles. That doesn't work.

If N = 10, then there's a 7/10 chance of getting red on the first pick, and 6/9 = 1/3 of getting red on the second pick. That's a (7/10)*(1/3) = 7/30 chance, which is approx. 23.33%. That doesn't work.

If N = 20, then there's a 7/20 chance of getting red on the first pick, and 6/19 of getting red on the second pick. That's a (7/20)*(6/19) = 21/190 chance, which is slightly more than 10 percent. That doesn't work.

If N = 21, then there's a 7/21 = 1/3 chance of getting red on the first pick, and 6/20 = 3/10 of getting red on the second pick. That's a (1/3)*(3/10) = 1/10, or 10% chance. This works.

I disagree with the order of answers given in the spoiler. The total number of marbles is 21, and the % probability that Jennifer wins is 10.

Does all this make sense?

Thanks Mike....
Yes u r correct. The total number of marbles is 21, and the % probability that Jennifer wins is 10.

Actually this plugging method was given in OE....so I was wondering if there is any better method to do this....
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Re: From a jar that contains marbles, including 7 red marbles, [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 15:02
Expert's post
crazypriya wrote:
Thanks Mike....
Yes u r correct. The total number of marbles is 21, and the % probability that Jennifer wins is 10.

Actually this plugging method was given in OE....so I was wondering if there is any better method to do this....

Dear crazypriya,
No, I don't think there's a better way. You see, there are two variables, and only one equation relating them. If we set it up with algebra, we would get a complicated equation that we couldn't solve anyway. The format itself demands plug-in approach.
Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: From a jar that contains marbles, including 7 red marbles, [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 11:45
is this question missing the other answer choices? # of marbles and % probability that Jennifer will win?
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Re: From a jar that contains marbles, including 7 red marbles, [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 11:54
Expert's post
se7en14 wrote:
is this question missing the other answer choices? # of marbles and % probability that Jennifer will win?

Dear se7en14,
This is a Two-Part Analysis question (2PA), one of the four question types on the GMAT's IR section. In 2PA questions, the same list of possible answers applies to both questions. Here, crazypriya posted the question in plaintext format, but on the GMAT it would be part of a chart, which would make the selection process slightly clearer.
See this for an explanation of the basis of 2PA:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/integrated ... -analysis/
See this for 2PA practice questions:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-integ ... questions/

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: From a jar that contains marbles, including 7 red marbles,   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2014, 11:54