Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 15:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From an analysis of broken pottery and statuary,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
From an analysis of broken pottery and statuary, [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2004, 08:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (02:10) wrong based on 1 sessions
Please explain your answer.

From an analysis of broken pottery and statuary, archaeologists have estimated that an ancient settlement in southwestern Arabia was established around 1000 B.C. However, new evidence suggests that the settlement is considerably older: tests show that a piece of building timber recently uncovered at the site is substantially older than the pottery and statuary.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the conclusion drawn from the new evidence?

(A) The building timber bore marks suggesting that it had been salvaged from an earlier settlement

(B) The pieces of pottery and fragments of statues that were analyzed come from several parts of the site

(C) The tests used to determine the age of the pottery and statuary had been devised more recently than those used to determine the age of the building timber

(D) The site has yielded many more samples of pottery and statuary than of building timber

(E) The type of pottery found at the site is similar to a type of pottery associated with civilizations that existed before 1000 B.C.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2004, 08:49
I will go with A. Explanations will follow if my answer is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2004, 08:50
anandnk wrote:
I will go with A. Explanations will follow if my answer is correct.

Yes the answer is correct. Exaplain please.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2004, 08:57
Yeah I am so happy. Did you happen to choose C? I dont blame you if you did because I did type C before I changed my mind.

The argument is talking about a particular civilization, not some other ancient civilization that existed there before or not something that came later. If this happens then it is possible that there is a mixup of few things that were used earlier. If you show something that casts doubt on the originality of the artifacts or the timber then in effect u have questioned the argument.

A says the timber bore marks used by earlier settlement meaning the timber is not original to the civilization under question ( Well u can refute this as well but not very strongly because u are looking for uniqueness of recovered things that distinguish different civilizations )

C is close because u can say that the tests that determine the age of timber may not be accurate because they are old compared to new tests that determine the age of pottery. You cannot conclusively say this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2004, 09:04
anandnk wrote:
Yeah I am so happy. Did you happen to choose C? I dont blame you if you did because I did type C before I changed my mind.

The argument is talking about a particular civilization, not some other ancient civilization that existed there before or not something that came later. If this happens then it is possible that there is a mixup of few things that were used earlier. If you show something that casts doubt on the originality of the artifacts or the timber then in effect u have questioned the argument.

A says the timber bore marks used by earlier settlement meaning the timber is not original to the civilization under question ( Well u can refute this as well but not very strongly because u are looking for uniqueness of recovered things that distinguish different civilizations )

C is close because u can say that the tests that determine the age of timber may not be accurate because they are old compared to new tests that determine the age of pottery. You cannot conclusively say this.

Well actually, I chose D, because I thought tthat it can provide better generalization for the older conclusion. (There is only one piece of new evidence cited in the passage).

Anyhow your explanationmake sense. But I think it is very vague.

I removed A because I considered the settlement mentioned in the passage and the one mentioned in the A same. Which actually lead to conclusion that both theories (new and old) are wrong but I did not pay much attention to that.
  [#permalink] 01 Mar 2004, 09:04