Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 05:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 04:18
This is good advice. Arriving cold at the school can be overwhelming and even though the Admissions Office will try to help you, there's not much they can do at the last minute.
Intern
Intern

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 06:33
I'm accepted to one of my Round One schools - Yale SOM, which I have happily confirmed. I was waitlisted at Darden and went ahead with two applications in Round Two but I am happy to go to Yale. Just wanted to say here that the Aringo tool was incredibly helpful and insightful way back when I did it (seems like eons ago) and though there were a couple of discrepancies? with results, I learned a lot and would still recommend it.
Intern
Intern

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2014, 02:55
Congrats! Good school, not so good location. But you'll be too busy to notice. BTW what did you mean by 'discrepancies' in results?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2014, 22:56
I think the Aringo calculator should give more weight to the candidate's age. I've recently read an article on P&Q about the age factor at b-schools, and how adcoms prefer younger candidates who can fit more easily to the school community and have more increase in salary after they graduate.
Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 03:09
I also read this article, but keep in mind that on the other hand older candidates have more work experience, which is another thing that b-school consider valuable. Older candidates also have more concrete career goals in most cases.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 14 May 2014, 11:15
True, but business schools like to have an impact on their graduates' careers, which is eaiser to do with younger candidates.
Taht's why they usually push older candidates towards executive programs, instead of the traditional full time MBA.
Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 23 May 2014, 22:23
Regardless of that article, it is well known that top business schools prefer young candidates. It doesn't mean that older applicants don't have a chance, but it might be easier for them to consider European programs which are relatively more open for older candidates.
Intern
Intern

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 29 May 2014, 04:38
I would like to push through with my application but reading through this forum made me think about the age factor. Would you know the age range to say that one is an "older candidate"?
Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2014, 07:14
I'd say the preferred age range for top-10 MBA programs is around 26-28, but it doesn't mean you can't get accepted if you're 30... it will just be a little harder. Of course you will have better chances at lower ranked schools and at European schools.
Intern
Intern

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 06:40
Okay, good to know about the age factor. I'm still counting on work experience being considered.
Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2014, 22:20
Absolutely, I believe an extensive work experience is a big advantage, which also reflects on Aringo's calculator as you can see. The average WE at top programs is around 4-5 years.
Intern
Intern

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 15:39
In addition to valuable work experience, I've read that one should also work on providing good references to back you up.
Intern
Intern

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 20:59
I've read from previous post that your EC activities are also considered. Is this correct?
Intern
Intern

Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2014, 06:35
Although they do not guarantee admission, they are still an important part of the whole application process. It is worth incorporating into your application to show how multi-dimensional person you are.
Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2014, 06:35