first translate the problem into simpler terms.
Let total number of students be x.
therefore, we are given:
no of students who dislike beans = (2/3)x
no of students who dislike beans and sprouts = (2/3)*(3/5)x = (2/5)x
[since we are given that 3/5 of the students who dont like beans also dont like sprouts this means that 2/5 of the students who dont like beans like sprouts]
therefore, no of students who dislike beans but like sprouts = (2/3)*(2/5)x = (4/15)x
thus if we know the total number of students we can answer the question.
(1) Sufficient: it gives us what we want directly.
(2) Sufficient: 40 students like beans. this accounts for (1/3) of the students. therefore if (1/3) is 40 then total is 120.
Thus choice D is the answer.
Untitled.png [ 97.17 KiB | Viewed 704 times ]
Click below to check out some great tips and tricks to help you deal with problems on Remainders!
Word Problems Made Easy!
1) Translating the English to Math : word-problems-made-easy-87346.html
2) 'Work' Problems Made Easy : work-word-problems-made-easy-87357.html
3) 'Distance/Speed/Time' Word Problems Made Easy : distance-speed-time-word-problems-made-easy-87481.html