Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 05:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From IT to MC with 1 yr international MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

From IT to MC with 1 yr international MBA? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 21:53
Hi Guys,

I would like some advice/insight from people who have "been there done that" - switched to MC from IT (or from some non-business related field).

I have been accepted to Oxford Said (but rejected at the 2 year US programs I applied to). I aim to jump into Management Consulting (general or Busines tech). How easy/difficult will it be to get into the consulting role that I seek with the 1 year Said MBA? Does anybody have advice on how to land pre-MBA or post-MBA internships to get into a MC firm?

Also, how can I improve my chances of getting recruited? I have started case study prep etc after speaking to alumni of Said who are in consulting. But any advice here would be appreciated! Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: From IT to MC with 1 yr international MBA? [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 20:44
Anybody?
Intern
Intern

Re: From IT to MC with 1 yr international MBA? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 23:01
Ok, let me post my thoughts to try and get this started..

So, what I am doing right now is reading The Mckinsey Way and How to Win friends and influence people! :D This was suggested by a connection in Mckinsey.

One drawback of a 1 year program is the lack of summer intern-ship, so I have arranged a call with the Careers Centre of Oxford Said to talk about internship opportunities and other ways to improve my candidacy for a Consulting gig. I am also looking for programs similar to Deloitte's Immersion program. I would prefer to spend 6 months in a more business oriented role/consulting role!

I plan to attend a consulting bootcamp and start beefing up my Case Study/Analysis skills (caseinterview.com, managementconsulted.com, etc)

What do you guys think?
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 24

Premium Member
Re: From IT to MC with 1 yr international MBA? [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 21:43
This post received
KUDOS
Though I haven't "been there and done that" myself, I do have several colleagues who successfully switched from IT to MC - however within the same firm. This may not be the route you seek, but they essentially joined the technology side of our firm with the intention of switching into MC.

I'm not familiar with Said, but having a strong resume and acing the case interview will land you an MC internship, if not a role. If you're already preparing for case interviews, that's great. I would do research and see what MC firms recruit at Said. Going through on-campus recruiting will increase your chances of getting an internship / job because you're generally guaranteed an interview. Your background won't prevent you from switching into MC, but without an MBA, you may be stuck with an entry-level position.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: From IT to MC with 1 yr international MBA? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 01:35
I agree with missxmelon, switching from the IT to MC field is risky but a strong resume can help you tremendously. An MBA or a higher degree is definitely going to help you in this regard.
Re: From IT to MC with 1 yr international MBA?   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2014, 01:35