Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Posts: 360
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2007, 19:50
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:52) correct 31% (01:02) wrong based on 161 sessions
From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent was deducted for taxes and then s dollars was deducted for savings. What amount of Leland's gross pay last week remained after these two deductions?

(1) p - s = 244
(2) pt = 7,552
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Posts: 372
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS - Leland's gross pay (tricky...) [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2007, 20:14
ricokevin wrote:
From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent was deducted for taxes and then s dollars was deducted for savings. What amount of Leland's gross pay last week remained after these two deductions?

(1) p - s = 244
(2) pt = 7,552

I'm confused as to whether finding out exactly one figure for the remained amount is what the question is asking or if it's asking for a condition that, when certain values for p, s, and t are plugged in, gives the figure...

please explain.

thanks!


My interpretation of the question is that we need to find the value of p-t-s in dollars
so my answer would be

stat1 alone: insufficient since t is unknown
stat2 alone: insufficient since s is unknown nor is the value of p or t or p-t

stat2 & stat1: insufficient since massaging these eqs to get p-t-s does'nt seem to be possible

I would pick E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Posts: 360
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2007, 22:19
That's what I thought. E.

But the correct answer is C...

(maybe the correct answer is wrong...)
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Posts: 372
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2007, 18:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
ricokevin wrote:
That's what I thought. E.

But the correct answer is C...

(maybe the correct answer is wrong...)


ooops... just realized that it is t percent not t dollars so what we need to find is p - pt/100 - s

which can be found if we use info from both the statements so ans is C!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 20:11
From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent was deducted for taxes and then s dollars was deducted for savings. What amount of Leland's gross pay last week remained after these two deductions?

(1) p - s = 244
(2) pt = 7,552


the amount after two deductions is p- (t%)p-s
we get p-s from (1) but we don't know p(t%) , so it is insufficient
we get pt from (2) ,it means p(t%)=7552/100 . But we don't know p-s, it is insufficient.

combining the two data, we can get p- (t%)p-s. Therefore, the ans is C
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2013
Posts: 19
Schools: LBS MIF '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

Re: From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 04:35
lwwlwwlww wrote:
From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent was deducted for taxes and then s dollars was deducted for savings. What amount of Leland's gross pay last week remained after these two deductions?

(1) p - s = 244
(2) pt = 7,552


the amount after two deductions is p- (t%)p-s
we get p-s from (1) but we don't know p(t%) , so it is insufficient
we get pt from (2) ,it means p(t%)=7552/100 . But we don't know p-s, it is insufficient.

combining the two data, we can get p- (t%)p-s. Therefore, the ans is C


So what would the actual answer be if we had to calculate it? And if the question says t%, isnt the equation just p - pt - s, and not p -pt% - s?

From what I gather, if we plug in the numbers we get: 244- 7552= -7308?? Does that mean Leland is losing money?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18718
Followers: 3239

Kudos [?]: 22316 [1] , given: 2613

Re: From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 04:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bulletpoint wrote:
lwwlwwlww wrote:
From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent was deducted for taxes and then s dollars was deducted for savings. What amount of Leland's gross pay last week remained after these two deductions?

(1) p - s = 244
(2) pt = 7,552


the amount after two deductions is p- (t%)p-s
we get p-s from (1) but we don't know p(t%) , so it is insufficient
we get pt from (2) ,it means p(t%)=7552/100 . But we don't know p-s, it is insufficient.

combining the two data, we can get p- (t%)p-s. Therefore, the ans is C


So what would the actual answer be if we had to calculate it? And if the question says t%, isnt the equation just p - pt - s, and not p -pt% - s?

From what I gather, if we plug in the numbers we get: 244- 7552= -7308?? Does that mean Leland is losing money?


From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent was deducted for taxes and then s dollars was deducted for savings. What amount of Leland's gross pay last week remained after these two deductions?

We need to find the value of p-\frac{pt}{100}-s.

(1) p - s = 244 --> we need to find the value of 244-\frac{pt}{100}. Not sufficient.

(2) pt = 7,552 --> we need to find the value of p-\frac{7,552}{100}-s. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) p-\frac{pt}{100}-s=244-75.52=168.48. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2013
Posts: 19
GMAT 1: 540 Q34 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 8

Re: From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 23:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
@bunuel: there is a small error. in your explanation for statement 1 you confused 244 with 224. same for the combination of the statements ;)
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18718
Followers: 3239

Kudos [?]: 22316 [0], given: 2613

Re: From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2013, 05:43
Expert's post
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2014
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 5

Re: From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 07:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
bulletpoint wrote:
lwwlwwlww wrote:
From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent was deducted for taxes and then s dollars was deducted for savings. What amount of Leland's gross pay last week remained after these two deductions?

(1) p - s = 244
(2) pt = 7,552


the amount after two deductions is p- (t%)p-s
we get p-s from (1) but we don't know p(t%) , so it is insufficient
we get pt from (2) ,it means p(t%)=7552/100 . But we don't know p-s, it is insufficient.

combining the two data, we can get p- (t%)p-s. Therefore, the ans is C


So what would the actual answer be if we had to calculate it? And if the question says t%, isnt the equation just p - pt - s, and not p -pt% - s?

From what I gather, if we plug in the numbers we get: 244- 7552= -7308?? Does that mean Leland is losing money?


From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent was deducted for taxes and then s dollars was deducted for savings. What amount of Leland's gross pay last week remained after these two deductions?

We need to find the value of p-\frac{pt}{100}-s.

(1) p - s = 244 --> we need to find the value of 244-\frac{pt}{100}. Not sufficient.

(2) pt = 7,552 --> we need to find the value of p-\frac{7,552}{100}-s. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) p-\frac{pt}{100}-s=244-75.52=148.48. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.


I am happy I'm not the only one making careless mistakes. 244-75.52=168.52 :)
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18718
Followers: 3239

Kudos [?]: 22316 [0], given: 2613

Re: From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 07:59
Expert's post
Re: From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2014, 07:59
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic If a loan of P dollars, at an interest rate of r percent... NeverSurrender 4 11 Oct 2013, 02:27
From Leland's gross pay of p dollas last week, t percent was fiesta 9 30 Jul 2008, 09:10
DS gross pay apollo168 2 28 Aug 2006, 00:16
From Leland s gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent joemama142000 1 13 Feb 2006, 20:40
From Johnson's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent tingle 6 08 Oct 2005, 14:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

From Leland's gross pay of p dollars last week, t percent

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.