Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

from LSAT to GMAT, unsure how to proceed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

from LSAT to GMAT, unsure how to proceed [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 15:06
Hi all, i've said in my previous posts that im coming from LSAT studying into GMAT studying. ive been prepping a little over a month now but it has been without a strict schedule. On my cold diagnostic a month ago, i scored a 600 with a horrid quant score (35th %ile roughly) and a verbal score of 70%ile. ON quant I realized that i needed to brush up on everything. However, on verbal, I got every single question on the CR and RC right and i bombed the sentence correction (more than half wrong).

tl;dr my quant area and SC Are the areas i need to work on.

Ive been studying the past month by cycling through (first quant ps, then ds, then now, finishing up studying SC. I prepped roughly a week and a half for each of those 3 parts. I have NOT taken a 2nd diagnostic.

I am wondering how I should proceed with studying and which sections I should start with and how long I should invest in each of those 3 problem areas. (is there a strategic way to approach this?)
also, if you could share which books to have, I would appreciate that.

im a native english speaker FWIW

thanks in advance people!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GPA: 3.82
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 41

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: from LSAT to GMAT, unsure how to proceed [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 22:41
Start with these:
The Official Guide (12th or 13th edition)
official GMAT Prep software
Any and all gmat club problems that address your areas of weakness

Review not only the questions you get wrong, but the ones you guessed right. Heck, review the ones you were confident about too. The OG gives explanations for every problem, so it's good to check those to make sure you're getting problems right for the right reasons.

Good luck!

My GMAT debrief

Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 933 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: from LSAT to GMAT, unsure how to proceed [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 22:47
Expert's post
travelerbk wrote:
Hi all, i've said in my previous posts that im coming from LSAT studying into GMAT studying. ive been prepping a little over a month now but it has been without a strict schedule. On my cold diagnostic a month ago, i scored a 600 with a horrid quant score (35th %ile roughly) and a verbal score of 70%ile. ON quant I realized that i needed to brush up on everything. However, on verbal, I got every single question on the CR and RC right and i bombed the sentence correction (more than half wrong).

tl;dr my quant area and SC Are the areas i need to work on.

Ive been studying the past month by cycling through (first quant ps, then ds, then now, finishing up studying SC. I prepped roughly a week and a half for each of those 3 parts. I have NOT taken a 2nd diagnostic.

I am wondering how I should proceed with studying and which sections I should start with and how long I should invest in each of those 3 problem areas. (is there a strategic way to approach this?)
also, if you could share which books to have, I would appreciate that.

im a native english speaker FWIW

thanks in advance people!

Hi travelerbk,

Initial score of 600 without much preparation is a very positive sign. Moreover, you have clearly visible strengths in CR and RC. From what you have written you weak areas appear to be Sentence Correction and Quant. I guess you must have studied extensively for LSAT logical reasoning and Reading Comprehension; however GMAT RC and CR are different from the ones in LSAT. So, going through OG13, OG12, Verbal Review, GMAT Prep tests, etc. will increase you comfort level with GMAT style RC and CR questions. As far as SC is concerned MGMAT Book, Manhattan GMAT SC, is the best. The good thing is that with this book you will gain access to MGMATs 6 computer adaptive tests. MGMAT also has good quant guides, but you can chose other if you want to . The book that you should thoroughly go through is the Official Guide. I think you are talking about the GMATPrep diagnostic tests; you have done the right thing to take the first test around the beginning of your preparation. Save the next test and take 2 - 3 retakes of these tests for 2 - 3 weeks before your actual GMAT.

If you have 2 -3 months for your prep, then that would be sufficient.

Do visit the below link, it contains comprehensive collection of Sentence Correction resources

ultimate-sentence-correction-encyclopedia-147357.html#p1182930

This link contains review of most popular books for GMAT

best-verbal-gmat-books-120308.html

Hope this helps, All the best :-)

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Intern
Intern

Re: from LSAT to GMAT, unsure how to proceed [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 15:04
thanks vercules, i have the gmat club grammar book to strengthen my sc. is this insufficient so i should still purchase the mgmat?

also, for quant, what is your #1 recommendation (i have limited resources)

im in the middle of going through the Official guide but its not in depth although its comprehensive.

i've also skipped the cr and rc portions of the official guide because they seem to be exactly like lsat questions except that they are much easier. would you mind elaborating on the difference between the two different tests rc and cr portions?

sorry for so many questoins, but im gunning for a 750+ and want all the help i can get!
Intern
Intern

Re: from LSAT to GMAT, unsure how to proceed [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 15:06
NonYankee wrote:
Start with these:
The Official Guide (12th or 13th edition)
official GMAT Prep software
Any and all gmat club problems that address your areas of weakness

Review not only the questions you get wrong, but the ones you guessed right. Heck, review the ones you were confident about too. The OG gives explanations for every problem, so it's good to check those to make sure you're getting problems right for the right reasons.

Good luck!

thank you, awesome score by the way, im jealous. what would be your #1 choice book for quant?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 79

Re: from LSAT to GMAT, unsure how to proceed [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 12:12
Travelerbk, I personally agree that the LSAT materials are really good practice for GMAT CR and RC. There are plenty of cosmetic differences (the LSAT is more time pressured, the GMAT doesn't have as many parallel reasoning questions, LSAT passages are sometimes a little bit more abstract, LSAT passages are longer, etc.), but if you're killing the LSAT, you'll probably be more than fine on the GMAT CR and RC. The core skills (precise reading and logic) you need for success are exactly the same.

I do strongly recommend maintaining your skills on CR and RC, though. You'll find the first chunk of questions in the OG (and official GMAT verbal guide) a little bit easy, but it's wise to continue doing at least one set of CR and RC per week, just to keep your skills sharp. And I agree with Vercules that it doesn't hurt to get some exposure to the GMAT CR and RC questions, since the styles are just a little bit different. Spend an hour or two per week on CR and RC, and you'll do wonderfully.

In all honesty, you're in a great position. CR and RC are extremely hard for some people to improve, so consider yourself fortunate. Sentence correction is definitely the most "improvable" part of the GMAT, and it's mostly a question of ignoring the "sound" of the sentences, and focusing on mechanics, logic, and meaning. MGMAT's books are probably your best bet for both SC and quant, though you might also check out the Thursdays with Ron videos--a lot of GMAT Club members swear by those. Generally speaking, it's a good idea to focus on building up your knowledge of quant and SC fundamentals first (using MGMAT books or something similar), so you might want to take a step back and work through the MGMAT materials before you burn through the entire OG.

Good luck with everything!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GPA: 3.82
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 41

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: from LSAT to GMAT, unsure how to proceed [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 22:59
travelerbk wrote:
thank you, awesome score by the way, im jealous. what would be your #1 choice book for quant?

The only book I looked at was OG 12. Bunuel's problem sets are awesome. I uploaded docs with his practice problems on my debrief post. Good luck!

My GMAT debrief

Intern
Intern

Re: from LSAT to GMAT, unsure how to proceed [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 10:44
GMATNinja wrote:
Travelerbk, I personally agree that the LSAT materials are really good practice for GMAT CR and RC. There are plenty of cosmetic differences (the LSAT is more time pressured, the GMAT doesn't have as many parallel reasoning questions, LSAT passages are sometimes a little bit more abstract, LSAT passages are longer, etc.), but if you're killing the LSAT, you'll probably be more than fine on the GMAT CR and RC. The core skills (precise reading and logic) you need for success are exactly the same.

I do strongly recommend maintaining your skills on CR and RC, though. You'll find the first chunk of questions in the OG (and official GMAT verbal guide) a little bit easy, but it's wise to continue doing at least one set of CR and RC per week, just to keep your skills sharp. And I agree with Vercules that it doesn't hurt to get some exposure to the GMAT CR and RC questions, since the styles are just a little bit different. Spend an hour or two per week on CR and RC, and you'll do wonderfully.

In all honesty, you're in a great position. CR and RC are extremely hard for some people to improve, so consider yourself fortunate. Sentence correction is definitely the most "improvable" part of the GMAT, and it's mostly a question of ignoring the "sound" of the sentences, and focusing on mechanics, logic, and meaning. MGMAT's books are probably your best bet for both SC and quant, though you might also check out the Thursdays with Ron videos--a lot of GMAT Club members swear by those. Generally speaking, it's a good idea to focus on building up your knowledge of quant and SC fundamentals first (using MGMAT books or something similar), so you might want to take a step back and work through the MGMAT materials before you burn through the entire OG.

Good luck with everything!

Good point about maintaining the CR and RC skills (last time I looked a LSAT materials was october, havent touched any CR or RC since then)
Thank you for the input and thank you all. This has been very informational
Re: from LSAT to GMAT, unsure how to proceed   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2013, 10:44