Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 06:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

from LSAT to the GMAT-share experiences

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

from LSAT to the GMAT-share experiences [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 15:45
hi all, im new to this forum and am making switch from law schools to specialized master program.

anyways, i decided against law school after prepping for the lsat for a couple months and my scored moved from low 160s(90th%ile) to low 170s (99th%ile)
does this put me in a better spot to take the gmat as opposed to someone who has no other standardized test experience? by "better" im wondering if i'll be able to hit the 700 mark earlier than othes

the gmat is scaring me a little more because of the math section, although i majored in finance.
i was wondering if anybody else has taken the lsat and gmat so they can speak of how comparable the two were? I was going to only study the math section because i've read that gmat verbal reasoning is a cakewalk compared to lsats (and the RC), but not sure if its a good idea to ignore the verbal section entirely.

if you've experienced both tests please share your scores and your experiences
(Aiming for 700+)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9448 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: from LSAT to the GMAT-share experiences [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 15:48
Expert's post
Yes, you should be in a better position as the CR and RC sections will be easier for you.
The math and SC are tricky and I would not assume you got them just because; however, it sounds you are capable enough, so it should not be hard.

There are a few JD MBA's who have done both but generally not a big overlap between LSAT and GMAT test takers.
Good luck. I would take a practice test when you have a chance (there are quite a few out there): all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html

Good Luck!
BB

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: from LSAT to the GMAT-share experiences [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 15:56
bb wrote:
Yes, you should be in a better position as the CR and RC sections will be easier for you.
The math and SC are tricky and I would not assume you got them just because; however, it sounds you are capable enough, so it should not be hard.

There are a few JD MBA's who have done both but generally not a big overlap between LSAT and GMAT test takers.
Good luck. I would take a practice test when you have a chance

Good Luck!
BB

thanks for the quick reply! enjoying this forum already.

would you happen to know if my skills honed from doing logic games from the lsat would be of any use or relevance on the math portion of the gmat?

thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 80

Re: from LSAT to the GMAT-share experiences [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 17:25
Welcome to the wonderful world of GMAT, travelerbk! I'm engaged to a recent law school graduate, and I suspect that you're making a really really great decision by switching to the GMAT. Law school was not fun for anybody involved. :thumbdown:

As usual, bb is correct about the benefits of the LSAT: you won't have too much trouble with CR and RC, though it wouldn't hurt to keep your skills sharp in those areas. You also won't have any timing problems on the verbal section. The LSAT is waaaaaaaaay more time pressured than the GMAT verbal section, so if you can get into the 170s on the LSAT, you'll have time to spare on the GMAT verbal.

For whatever it's worth, it's good that you won't have to spend tons and tons of time on CR and RC. For some people, those are the most difficult question types to improve, since they're reasonably pure tests of your reading precision. You're way ahead of the game if you have those mostly locked down already. You can definitely make some big gains in quant and sentence correction if you work hard enough, so you're in a pretty good spot, especially since you have a finance background and math isn't exactly a foreign language for you.

LSAT logic games aren't very helpful, unfortunately. They definitely won't help you on the quant section, but they'll give you a tiny edge on the Integrated Reasoning section--a few of the questions are vaguely similar to the LSAT logic games. Integrated Reasoning isn't a huge part of admissions decisions yet, but at least your LSAT background will allow you to conserve a few brain cells when you do the Integrated Reasoning on the GMAT.

Good luck with your studies!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: from LSAT to the GMAT-share experiences   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2013, 17:25