Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From MitDavidDv: Indian Vedic Mathematics

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Belmont University
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 56

From MitDavidDv: Indian Vedic Mathematics [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 12:21
Shalom!
During my preparation for the Quant section of the GMAT I came across the Indian techniques of Vedic Mathematics. Since I cannot use a calculator during the test I conducted a search for any easier ways to solve math problems without using a calculator. What I found was Vedic Mathematics. My question is has anyone in this club used Vedic Math techniques while taking the GMAT?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 41

Re: From MitDavidDv: Indian Vedic Mathematics [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 18:21
This post received
KUDOS
While I have never used the Vedic Mathematics books or concepts, being an Indian, I can attest that some of the books are held in high esteem, and are very popular among Indian standardized tests (read Engineering entrance, IT company entrances etc. where time is key). Books such as 'Shakuntala Devi' are considered a 'must' for these exams but then again complex calculations are part of these exams. I have seen some models (or tricks) and they seemed to be really cool.

I wouldn't recommend wasting time on them, as you shouldn't be requiring any shortcuts or calculations on GMAT, particularly if you don't have much time for your exam preparation.

My 2 cents.

If you like my post, consider giving me Kudos !!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 41

Re: From MitDavidDv: Indian Vedic Mathematics [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2011, 18:23
I meant shortcuts on calculations.

Also, anyone with personal experience can add more, as it benefits me also.

If you like my post, consider giving me Kudos !!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 3

Re: From MitDavidDv: Indian Vedic Mathematics [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2011, 12:52
This post received
KUDOS
I'd not care if anybody does offer short cuts to calculation, if my focussed objective was to attack GMAT questions. Vedic mathematics be a favorite pass time, when you do have the time. I love the Lilavati Ganitam (an ancient Indian treatise) as a favorite pass-time. Spending time on basic concepts would be more fruitful.

That said, I do use some shortcuts when l see numbers on the GMAT questions. More often than not, I have the following numbers on my finger tips:

sqrt(10) ~ 3.15
sqrt(2) ~ 1.41
sqrt (3) ~ 1.73
sqrt(5) ~ 2.25
sqrt(7) ~ 2.65

I also use extensively the following rule:

The square of any number in a form x5 is x(x+1)25.

A little explanation for the above rule:

325*325 = (32*33)25=105625

This is what I used to compute sqrt(10) above. 1000 is nearly 32*31 so sqrt(10) should be b/w 32/10 and 31/10 or nearly 3.15. The result may not be the most accurate computation on earth. But GMAT does not require you to be more computative than this. At least, that is what I have observed. Others can correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
Rahul

Regards
Rahul

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5381 [1] , given: 165

Re: From MitDavidDv: Indian Vedic Mathematics [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2011, 13:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Though I have been quite a proponent of Vedic Math and used it to an extent, you dont need it - at all - for GMAT. The calculations in GMAT are very basic e.g. you will not need to multiply a two digit with another two digit number very often. If you see yourself faced with multiplying anything more complex, it means you didn't get the point of the question. Whatever calculations are a part of GMAT, they can be easily done orally (for the most part). What is important is how well you understand the concepts. So I wouldn't advice you to invest time in picking up Vedic Math.
That said, there are a few things that you need to 'remember'. They are useful in quite a few questions.
1. Squares of first 20 numbers
2. Cubes of first 10 numbers
3. Multiplication Tables till 15 at least (preferably till 20)
4. Exponents - Of 2 till 2^{10}, Of 3 till 3^6, Of 4 and 5 till 4^4 and 5^4.

Knowing these are relevant to GMAT.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: Belmont University

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 56

Re: From MitDavidDv: Indian Vedic Mathematics [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 16:33
Shalom Karishma,
Thank you for this response. I wrote down all the things you said I need to remember. I have a question. I have noticed in some of the harder GMAT Quant questions there are some big numbers to be calculated (ex. 650-plus-level-question-114310.html). How do I go about doing this without the use of a calculator?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 7

Re: From MitDavidDv: Indian Vedic Mathematics [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 23:34
Nice list Karishma

My Debrief

Re: From MitDavidDv: Indian Vedic Mathematics   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2011, 23:34