Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

from talking to other MBAs...random stuff...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 21:46
...it's funny I see people always referring to the program they attend as follows:

H / S: either they name the school, or say "the top MBA program"
W: "top 3 program" (or "top program", but less often)
Sloan, K, Chi, Col: "top 5 program" (or "M7" if in MBA circles)
Tuck, Haas, Ross, Stern, Fuqua, Yale, Anderson, Darden, Johnson: "top 10 program"
Tepper, McDonough, McCombs, Kenan-Flagler, Kelley, Marshall, Goizueta: "top-tier program"

This always makes me laugh, especially since I now refer to W as "top 3 program" myself! Do you guys also fall prey to this categorization? It's also funny to see that there are 2-3 "#1 programs", 7 "top 5 programs", and 16 "top 10 programs" :-D

Anyway, how are y'all doing? I am gonna miss the GMAT club community. :-(
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 22:11
i dont think ive ever had to say top x program to describe chicago gsb. if im ever referring to the school ill just say "chicago gsb." although i do remember reading the post on the bweek forums describing this and having a chuckle. it may have caused me to subconsciously avoid saying top x program.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 00:34
Was there really a similar post on BW? How interesting! I barely check those forums...People are too mean-spirited
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 00:50
he-he, I also am in this sample :lol:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 05:13
The only thing I disagree with is Wharton as Top 3. I typically hear it as a 'Top 5' or 'Top', but who really describes anything as Top 3? :lol:
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 05:21
isnt all of this a bit ludicrous ... the struggle with codifying top 'whatever' seems so irrational to me. There are 'right' schools for everyone out there ... rankings and the amount of time and energy expended on them is a criminal waste.

'I hope I can get into a top 10' :lol:

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 05:26
Wharton is top 3, no doubt.

I always find it funny that there are way more than 10 schools that claim to be in the top ten. :-D
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 06:11
Wharton is definitely top 3. Who's better overall other than H and maybe S?
There are companies that recruit only at H/S/W, but none that recruit at H/S/Chi or H/S/K or H/S/Sloan. I've heard there are companies that only recruit H/W.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 06:26
this is the post i was referring to: http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... w-bschools
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 12:04
I am not saying it is not one of the three top business schools. What I am saying is that the casual person doesn't refer to things in units of three. Typically, you hear things like "Top 10 songs of the week" or "Top 5 plays"...

I am not talking about its actual ranking, i am talking about how people classify it in words. At least that's what I interpreted this whole thread to be about.

[quote="sonibubu"]Wharton is definitely top 3. quote]
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 12:12
I think its more of an ego thing, there arent many people who even really get what Top X school means. I think if you are talking about it with someone who has no idea of b-schools you arent going to say top 3, 5, or 10. You just say I am going to XXXX, then may go on to say its one of the best in the world or something.

It is only really helpful talking to someone who knows the schools anyways without having to tell them. I tend to feel a lot of people who say I am going to a top x school online usually arent...if they were they would say the school but then someone who goes there or is heading there might call them on it. I think BW is full of people lying about a lot of the stuff they post.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)

GMAT Tests User
Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 12:15
BW is really quite pointless as a source of information .... great place to vent, pick fights and be generally unpleasant towards others :lol:

It has none of the thoughtful responses and well thought out opinions and views seen on this board.

riverripper wrote:
I think its more of an ego thing, there arent many people who even really get what Top X school means. I think if you are talking about it with someone who has no idea of b-schools you arent going to say top 3, 5, or 10. You just say I am going to XXXX, then may go on to say its one of the best in the world or something.

It is only really helpful talking to someone who knows the schools anyways without having to tell them. I tend to feel a lot of people who say I am going to a top x school online usually arent...if they were they would say the school but then someone who goes there or is heading there might call them on it. I think BW is full of people lying about a lot of the stuff they post.

Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 12:41
riverripper wrote:

I agree 100% with what you are saying. As a CFA Charterholder, I also frequent analystforum (AF), which is "similar" to gmatclub. The main differences are 1) GC people really care and take the time to write considerate, well thought out posts 2) AF people are so sarcastic and if a repeat/similar post has been written in the last 6 months, you will get slammed with "search for it, moron" or cynical remarks 3) There are a lot of smart people here that have been through and/or are going through the process, as opposed to countless wannabees or pretenders on AF. Wait a sec, I suppose GC is nothing like AF. This is really a warm and friendly environment, and I am so thankful to have stumbled upon it. :)
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 12:46
bweek is nothing compared to xoxohth
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 12:46
I think the huge difference between here and BW is the oversight present on this forum. We are very self policing. When someone tries to start trouble here they are quickly dealt with.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 12:52
Wow. I read about half a page from the very 1st thread on that forum. Unbelievable trash, but very entertaining, though.

http://www.xoxohth.com/thread.php?threa ... 5a#9741948

dabots wrote:
bweek is nothing compared to xoxohth
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 13:22
sm332 wrote:
BW is really quite pointless as a source of information .... great place to vent, pick fights and be generally unpleasant towards others :lol:

It has none of the thoughtful responses and well thought out opinions and views seen on this board.

Why so? 'Ask Sandy' is a pretty funny thing out there :lol:

Last edited by nick_sun on 12 May 2008, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 13:24
ok there are some useful tidbits amidst a sea of garbage ... according to him I have no shot at H/S/W and would be a reach at the Top 20. So I will fill you in on where I end up :wink:

nick_sun wrote:
sm332 wrote:

Why so? 'Ask Alex' is a pretty funny thing out there :lol:

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 15:21
Sandy aka gollum is pretty knowledgeable but according to him the only way you get in is to be a superstar or use his services.

Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2008, 18:55
riverripper wrote:
Sandy aka gollum

lol! This brings back memories of his picture you posted a few months back!

Re: from talking to other MBAs...random stuff...   [#permalink] 12 May 2008, 18:55