Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 09:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (01:51) correct 12% (00:56) wrong based on 73 sessions
From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the way in which the Ojibwa society organized its labor, provided access to its resources, and defined rights and obligations involved in the distribution and consumption of those resources.
(A) and defined rights and obligations involved in the distribution and consumption of those resources
(B) defining rights and obligations involved in their distribution and consumption
(C) and defined rights and obligations as they were involved in its distribution and consumption
(D) whose rights and obligations were defined in their distribution and consumption
(E) the distribution and consumption of them defined by rights and obligations

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC1000 #321 Kinship [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 06:14
OA is A.

kinship determined the way in which the Ojibwa society
organized its labor,
provided access to its resources, and
defined rights and obligations involved (in the distribution and consumption of those resources)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 22:01
Clearly C) is wrong.

(C) and defined rights and obligations as they were involved in its distribution and consumption

here "they" is incorrectly referring to "tribe" which is singular and was referred to using "it" as in "its labor" and "its resources".
Also, "its" in "its distribution" is incorrectly referring to plural 'resources'

In A) apart from its parallel construction, 'those' is clearly referring to resources mentioned in the previous sentence
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC1000 #321 Kinship [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2009, 10:55
This post received
KUDOS
bmwhype2 wrote:
321. From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the way in which the Ojibwa society organized its labor, provided access to its resources, and defined rights and obligations involved in the distribution and consumption of those resources.
(A) and defined rights and obligations involved in the distribution and consumption of those resources
(B) defining rights and obligations involved in their distribution and consumption
(D) whose rights and obligations were defined in their distribution and consumption

Well I admit that I firstly choosed B instead of A .

A)organized....provided and...defined Paralelism
B) Defining is not paralel to organized and provided. First here I thought since '', providing'' modifies to whole sentence which preecede it, the phrase did not distort the paralelism and meaning . Yet , I was wrong.
C Since passive voice is used OUT (No passive is used in the sentence) Last sentence ends with ''resources'' and its here looks like modifying resources rather than society.
D whose is used for people not resources OUT
E no explanation but illogical

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC1000 #321 Kinship [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 06:39
bmwhype2 wrote:
321. From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the way in which the Ojibwa society organized its labor, provided access to its resources, and defined rights and obligations involved in the distribution and consumption of those resources.

I was confused by the (A) ....of those resources. It looked like of those refer to Ojibwa society (a singular form), and therefore made (A) a wrong one and reason why that I emitted (A) and went for (C)

Can anyone pls explain......thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: SC1000 #321 Kinship [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 12:28
bmwhype2 wrote:

why organized, provided and defined should be in parallel?
defined rights and obligations involved in the distribution and consumption of those resources - this sentence is talking about distribution of resources. Hence "and defined rights and obligations involved in the distribution and consumption of those resources" should modify "provided access to its resources".

Please help me out of this?

Thank you -
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC1000 #321 Kinship [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 16:16
bmwhype2 wrote:

Hi Friends,

We have couple of queries here , Let's try to analyze. I appreciate everyone for doubts/explanations. My explanations might have some flaws or lack clarity. Any question, welcome to revert.

PerfectStranger wrote:
C Since passive voice is used OUT (No passive is used in the sentence) Last sentence ends with ''resources'' and its here looks like modifying resources rather than society

Hi PerfectStranger,
Sorry friend, I don't agree with you on this explanation.
a)"they were involved in its distribution and consumption" Not a passive voice.
b) Modifier never comes with "And" so "and defined rights and obligations as they were involved in its distribution and consumption" can not modify anything. In other words if any clause is separated with "comma+and", it can not modify preceding clause.

miweekend wrote:
I was confused by the (A) ....of those resources. It looked like of those refer to Ojibwa society (a singular form), and therefore made (A) a wrong one and reason why that I emitted (A) and went for (C)

Hi miweekend,
Friend, you are already telling that those is plural and society is singular so how could it refer to society. Apart from that "those" is coming before "resources" so how can society be resource.

gaurav1083 wrote:
defined rights and obligations involved in the distribution and consumption of those resources - this sentence is talking about distribution of resources. Hence "and defined rights and obligations involved in the distribution and consumption of those resources" should modify "provided access to its resources".

Hi gaurav1083,
a)To understand parallelism in this sentence let's remove all middleman ( modifier and prepositional phrases).
[strike]From the earliest days of the tribe[/strike], [strike]kinship determined the way in which[/strike]the Ojibwa society organized its labor, provided access to its resources, and defined rights and obligations involved [strike]in the distribution and consumption of those resources[/strike]

Now can you see parallelism clearly.

b) Any clause with "comma+and" can not modify previous clause.

One more thing which is there in C. The idiom "defined...X...as...Y.." but usage of that idiom is wrong here.
defined rights and obligations as they were involved in its distribution and consumption. One more reason to eliminate c.

I hope my explanation will help. If indeed, please give me kudos.

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: SC1000 #321 Kinship [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 19:41
(C) is wrong because " rights and obligations involved" is much better than "rights and obligations as they were involved" and doesnt emphasize resources but society
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC1000 #321 Kinship [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 20:22
This post received
KUDOS
gaurav1083 wrote:
gaurav1083 wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

Please help me out of this?

Thank you -

what is wrong with option B?

Hi Gaurav,

When you use V+ing after comma its work as a modifier and will modify the whole clause before comma, not the word it precede.
Here "defining rights and obligations involved in their distribution and consumption" is modifying whats coming before comma, not only the word "resources", which is not what original sentence says. Original sentence says kinship was determined based on 3 factors by society 1.organized its labor, 2. provided access to its resources, And 3.defined rights and obligations involved

Please revert if you have any question.

I hope my explanation helped, if indeed give me kudos.

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2012, 16:51
I have picked A for this question:

A. This answer choice maintains proper parallelism - "organized, provided and defined." Also, this answer choice is clear and concise.

B. "defining rights and obligations" is not parallel to organized and provided.

C. Although "and defined rights and obligations" is parallel to organized and provided, we have other errors such as pronoun and wordiness. "As they were" is very wordy - this could definitely be worded better. Also, the pronoun "its" is unclear because we're not sure what "its" refers to.

D. It seems like "whose" is referring to resources. This should in fact refer to the society itself. In either case, this breaks parallelism, so it is incorrect.

E. Parallelism is broken because "the distribution and consumption" are not parallel to "organized and provided."
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1184

Kudos [?]: 3137 [1] , given: 176

Re: From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 15:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 01:21
Isn't a comma before the conjunction and incorrect usage?

At first I picked option (A) as it maintains the parallelism but seeing the comma before and I got confused.

Please clarify.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative

Re: From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 05:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
avi12 wrote:
Isn't a comma before the conjunction and incorrect usage?

At first I picked option (A) as it maintains the parallelism but seeing the comma before and I got confused.

Please clarify.

Hi @avi12,

Your confusion is pretty valid. In our education system we have not been taught to use comma before “and”. However, it is a little different in GMAT. Whenever the entities in a parallel list are joined by commas and “and”, there is always a comma after the second last entity in the list. This comma is then followed by “and”. Every comma makes it preceding entity an independent entity. This usage is common all across the SC parallelism questions in every official source.

Hence the usage of comma before “and” is not incorrect in choice A.

Hope this helps.
Thnaks.
Shradhha

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the [#permalink] New post 21 May 2012, 19:58
Thanks, Shraddha :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 33

Re: From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 10:12
IMO it should be A. case of parallelism.. defined, determined all parallel.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 02:05
Hi e-gmat,
You said that in the following

whose rights and obligations were defined in their distribution and consumption

Whose refers to resources, my doubt is whether the rule for which ( which is that 'which' should touch the noun it modifies) also applies to that, whose, etc?

Regards,
Sach

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3137 [0], given: 176

Re: From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 08:45
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:
Hi e-gmat,
You said that in the following

whose rights and obligations were defined in their distribution and consumption

Whose refers to resources, my doubt is whether the rule for which ( which is that 'which' should touch the noun it modifies) also applies to that, whose, etc?

Regards,
Sach

Hi Sachin,
"Whose" is also a relative pronoun just like "which", "that", etc. It also modifies the preceding noun entity. In choice D, "whose" is preceded by "resources" and hence illogically modifies this noun entity.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 08:53
Thanks Shraddha,
So the same rule applies for all relative pronouns( which, that, whose, who,etc ) ?

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative

Re: From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 08:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:
So the same rule applies for all relative pronouns( which, that, whose, who,etc ) ?

Hi Sachin,

That's correct. Realtive pronouns refers to the preceding noun entity that can be a single-word noun or a noun phrase.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Manager
Manager
Schools: Jones '15

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 10:42

Parallelism wins. Answer is A.
Re: From the earliest days of the tribe, kinship determined the   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2012, 10:42