Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From the word TRAMPLE 4 letters are taken. What is the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 81
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

From the word TRAMPLE 4 letters are taken. What is the [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 03:45
From the word TRAMPLE 4 letters are taken. What is the probability that the word TRAM is arranged?

A. 1/2
B. 1/3
C. 1/7
D. 1/28
E. 1/35

I believe that all of these choices are incorrect. The correct answer should be 1/840.

If a word is arranged, then order matters, and we need to find the permutation instead of the combination. In this case, the probability of the word TRAM being arranged should be:

1/P(7,4)

P(7,4) = 7!/(7-4)! = 7!/3! = 7 x 6 x5 x 4 = 840

Thus the answer should be 1/840.

What do you guys think?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Posts: 422
Location: India, Chennai
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Question Collection 1.2, #39 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 03:51
I am no expert in Probablity. But I think 1/840 is correct.

Here is my working.

The probablity of choosing T is 1/7
The probablity of choosing R is 1/6
The probablity of choosing A is 1/5
The probablity of choosing M is 1/4

Hence (1/7)*(1/6)*(1/5)*(1/4) = 1/840
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 81
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Question Collection 1.2, #39 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 03:53
krisrini wrote:
I am no expert in Probablity. But I think 1/840 is correct.

Here is my working.

The probablity of choosing T is 1/7
The probablity of choosing R is 1/6
The probablity of choosing A is 1/5
The probablity of choosing M is 1/4

Hence (1/7)*(1/6)*(1/5)*(1/4) = 1/840


I agree with you. However, the answer in the question collection takes that number and multiplies by 24 (incorrectly, in my opinion) to reach an answer of 1/35.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Re: Question Collection 1.2, #39 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 04:29
BumblebeeMan wrote:
krisrini wrote:
I am no expert in Probablity. But I think 1/840 is correct.

Here is my working.

The probablity of choosing T is 1/7
The probablity of choosing R is 1/6
The probablity of choosing A is 1/5
The probablity of choosing M is 1/4

Hence (1/7)*(1/6)*(1/5)*(1/4) = 1/840


I agree with you. However, the answer in the question collection takes that number and multiplies by 24 (incorrectly, in my opinion) to reach an answer of 1/35.


but there are two steps. firstly the letters are taken out and then the letters are arranged. that means 4 letters from 7 is 7c4 is 35. then 4 letters form 4, namely RAMT, is 4c4 is 1. now the 4 letters RAMT have to be arranged so that the word TRAM comes up. there is only 1 way to do so. so its 1/35...
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 81
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 04:43
Quote:
but there are two steps. firstly the letters are taken out and then the letters are arranged. that means 4 letters from 7 is 7c4 is 35. then 4 letters form 4, namely RAMT, is 4c4 is 1. now the 4 letters RAMT have to be arranged so that the word TRAM comes up. there is only 1 way to do so. so its 1/35...


I disagree. The letters can be selected using 7c4 (which equals 35). However, you then have to multply 35 by the number of ways in which the letters can be arranged, which is 4!

35 x 4! = 840
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 04:57
BumblebeeMan wrote:
Quote:
but there are two steps. firstly the letters are taken out and then the letters are arranged. that means 4 letters from 7 is 7c4 is 35. then 4 letters form 4, namely RAMT, is 4c4 is 1. now the 4 letters RAMT have to be arranged so that the word TRAM comes up. there is only 1 way to do so. so its 1/35...


I disagree. The letters can be selected using 7c4 (which equals 35). However, you then have to multply 35 by the number of ways in which the letters can be arranged, which is 4!

35 x 4! = 840


hm? you are right :?
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2005
Posts: 23
Location: Bay Area, CA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2005, 18:35
BumblebeeMan wrote:
I disagree. The letters can be selected using 7c4 (which equals 35). However, you then have to multply 35 by the number of ways in which the letters can be arranged, which is 4!

35 x 4! = 840


There are 35 ways to select 4 letters from 7 letters. However, there is exactly one permutation of 4 letters that we are picking (TRAM) among the 4! possibilities.

So solution is 1/35.
_________________

If you can't change the people, change the people.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2005
Posts: 399
Location: Chicago, IL
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2005, 21:06
Well, since the order the letters are chosen matters, Possible number of outcomes is 7P4=840. P=FO/EO=1/840. I thought about it this way.
_________________

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2005
Posts: 399
Location: Chicago, IL
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2005, 21:12
dil66 wrote:
BumblebeeMan wrote:
I disagree. The letters can be selected using 7c4 (which equals 35). However, you then have to multply 35 by the number of ways in which the letters can be arranged, which is 4!

35 x 4! = 840


There are 35 ways to select 4 letters from 7 letters. However, there is exactly one permutation of 4 letters that we are picking (TRAM) among the 4! possibilities.

So solution is 1/35.


you can't find probability (Favorable number of outcomes/ possible number of outcomes) unless you have both numerator and denominator in either combination or permutation. if order matters in the numerator, so it does in the denominator. I think
_________________

Hard work is the main determinant of success

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1743
Location: Dhaka
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2005, 23:14
it should be 1/7P4 = 1/840

answer choices are not correct.
_________________

hey ya......

  [#permalink] 25 Nov 2005, 23:14
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic How many words of 4 letters can be formed from the word "MED samcot 13 13 Sep 2011, 09:08
Three letters are randomly drawn from the word Mississippi . singaks 3 03 Mar 2008, 18:50
19 Experts publish their posts in the topic How many combinations of three letters taken from letters bmwhype2 20 02 Dec 2007, 13:29
Four letters are taken at random from the word AUSTRALIA. mahesh004 3 15 Jul 2006, 00:16
4 letters are randomly selected from the word TRAMPLE. What GMATT73 5 01 Oct 2005, 21:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

From the word TRAMPLE 4 letters are taken. What is the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.