Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From today onwards, for a few days, I will post one Bold

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User
From today onwards, for a few days, I will post one Bold [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2011, 23:47
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

14% (02:50) correct 86% (01:32) wrong based on 7 sessions
From today onwards, for a few days, I will post one Bold Faced CR Question.
Unfortunately, I have the OA, but no explanation. So every person who solves the question must give a valid explanation.

Here goes for today:

The interstitial nucleus, a sub-region of the brain’s hypothalamus, is typically smaller for male cats than for female cats. A neurobiologist performed autopsies on male cats who died from disease X, a disease affecting no more than 0.5 percent of male cats, and found that these male cats had interstitial nuclei that were as large as those generally found in female cats. Thus, the size of the interstitial nucleus determines whether or not male cats can contract disease X, but, the hypothalamus is known not to be causally linked to disease Y, and disease X is a subtype of disease Y.

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a fact in support of the consideration that is one of two points of this argument; the second is the alternative point that weighs against the first.
(B) The first is an evidence that supports the consideration that the argument includes; the second is the fact that weighs against that consideration that could be drawn from the first.
(C) The first is a general principle that is against the conclusion; the second is that conclusion.
(D) The first is an evidence that supports the conclusion; the second is an exceptional example.
(E) The first is a fact in support of the conclusion that the argument depends on; the second is a fact that is against the first one.

Disclosure:
These questions have been taken from a word document found in a forum. But apparently a few have been taken from the OG. Nevertheless, its good practise.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 954 [0], given: 376

Re: Bold Faced CR! [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 04:06
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
From today onwards, for a few days, I will post one Bold Faced CR Question.
Unfortunately, I have the OA, but no explanation. So every person who solves the question must give a valid explanation.

Here goes for today:

The interstitial nucleus, a sub-region of the brain’s hypothalamus, is typically smaller for male cats than for female cats. A neurobiologist performed autopsies on male cats who died from disease X, a disease affecting no more than 0.5 percent of male cats, and found that these male cats had interstitial nuclei that were as large as those generally found in female cats. Thus, the size of the interstitial nucleus determines whether or not male cats can contract disease X, but, the hypothalamus is known not to be causally linked to disease Y, and disease X is a subtype of disease Y.

The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a fact in support of the consideration that is one of two points of this argument; the second is the alternative point that weighs against the first.
Correct.

(B) The first is an evidence that supports the consideration that the argument includes; the second is the fact that weighs against that consideration that could be drawn from the first.
Second statement could NOT be drawn from the first. Second statement is just a fact independent of the first one.

(C) The first is a general principle that is against the conclusion; the second is that conclusion.
Nothing in the first is against the conclusion.

(D) The first is an evidence that supports the conclusion; the second is an exceptional example.
First one is an evidence, fine. Second one is just a fact rather than an example.

(E) The first is a fact in support of the conclusion that the argument depends on; the second is a fact that is against the first one.
This comes very close to the answer. In fact, it took me a while before I leaned more toward option A. The first one is a fact supporting the CONCLUSION(conclusion is stricter). The second is a fact against the first one.
Thus, the word conclusion is stronger. The author didn't conclude that the size of the nucleus will be the indicator because in his very next statement, he provides us with a paradoxical statement that is raising a doubt in Author's mind as well. Thus, it is more a CONSIDERATION than a CONCLUSION.

Disclosure:
These questions have been taken from a word document found in a forum. But apparently a few have been taken from the OG. Nevertheless, its good practice.
Thanks for the initiative. These BOLD faced CR and ANALOGY CR's are indeed trickier than other question types.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Bold Faced CR! [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 19:58
fluke wrote:
akhileshgupta05 wrote:

Correct.

Second statement could NOT be drawn from the first. Second statement is just a fact independent of the first one.

I think B is a better answer even though the OA says A. i think this is not a real GMAT question and either it is a badly presented question or badly presented answer choices, since with a real official GMAT logic questions things are very black and white with no possibility of gray areas.

I believe the whole argument has one consideration which starts with a conclusion indicator [thus]: "Thus, the size of the interstitial nucleus determines whether or not male cats can contract disease X", the first bold face: "these male cats had interstitial nuclei that were as large as those generally found in female cats" just supports the consideration. and the 2nd bold face "but, the hypothalamus is known not to be causally linked to disease Y, and disease X is a subtype of disease Y." casts doubt on the consideration.
B) is not saying that the 2nd bold face is drove from first bold face, it is saying that it goes against the consideration that is drove from the first bold face. which is exactly what is going on with the argument. on the other hand

A)says that the argument has two points, which is not correct. argument has one point and two contradicting premises.the 2nd bold face is not an alternating consideration it is just another premiss that goes against the conclusion that the author tries to get too. and if you notice the author says "it CAN cause" and he does not say "it will cause" in the conclusion he gets to, he leaves room for the 2nd bold face to casts its doubt. additionally A says that "
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 20

Re: Bold Faced CR! [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 20:14
[quote="fluke]
This comes very close to the answer. In fact, it took me a while before I leaned more toward option A. The first one is a fact supporting the CONCLUSION(conclusion is stricter). The second is a fact against the first one.
Thus, the word conclusion is stronger. The author didn't conclude that the size of the nucleus will be the indicator because in his very next statement, he provides us with a paradoxical statement that is raising a doubt in Author's mind as well. Thus, it is more a CONSIDERATION than a CONCLUSION.

[/quote]

i also thought that E is stronger but then noticed in E one thing 'against'. I don't think both facts are contradicting.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Bold Faced CR! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 07:34
I will go with B. Can someone please explain it more properly..
Re: Bold Faced CR!   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2011, 07:34