Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From today's CAT. Disclaimer* this CR has been edited and

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 1443
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2006, 09:48
not be a pain but you mistyped the question...choice D in the sheet said 50 Million, not 1 million as the question stated in the post.....

and I still assert that even if they find a 50 million year old fossil , how do we know it survived the extinction???? Can someone explain my error in logic?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2006, 11:37
thx GMATT73, nice question :-D
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2006
Posts: 1026
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2006, 19:23
Assertion:

that the Coelacanth was the largest member of the class Osteichthyes (the hard boned fishes) to survive the extinction event at the end of the Cretaceous period around 65 million years ago.

D. a million year old fossil of megalodon carpodon was reclassified from class Chrondrichtytes to class Osteichthyes.

A million year old (or 50 million years old) fossil means it has survived Cretaceous period that was 65 millions years ago. The fossil also comes under Osteichthyes. We do not know its size. It can be larger than Coelacanth. Only D leaves the possibility of making professor's assertion wrong.

In this type of question, the answer choice need not be complete proof. It is just the next sentence :wink:

It is a tough question. I screwed up by assuming author's statement for professor's assertion. Hardiness is not professor's concern.
_________________

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2006, 19:55
Choice B in the posted screenshot and the the one in the original question are different. The posted screenshot does not talk about any kind of mutation.

If B states that mutations happened amongst most members of the Osteichthye class, would'nt that indicate that the Coelacanth may not be the largest memeber to survivie the extinction ?? and make choice B a possible answer

What am i missing?

Thanks.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2006, 21:07
terp26 wrote:
not be a pain but you mistyped the question...choice D in the sheet said 50 Million, not 1 million as the question stated in the post.....

and I still assert that even if they find a 50 million year old fossil , how do we know it survived the extinction???? Can someone explain my error in logic?


I revised the answer choice to reflect 50million. 1 million or 50 million, even so, it properly debuncts the professors assertion.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2006, 21:15
Some interesting info on the Megaladon:

Check this out ---> http://images.google.co.jp/imgres?imgur ... image&cd=2

At 30m+ the Megaladon was one bad a$$ sea creature :shock:
Attachments

Megalodon.jpg
Megalodon.jpg [ 47.01 KiB | Viewed 285 times ]

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 582
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2006, 00:08
hdakshina wrote:
Choice B in the posted screenshot and the the one in the original question are different. The posted screenshot does not talk about any kind of mutation.

If B states that mutations happened amongst most members of the Osteichthye class, would'nt that indicate that the Coelacanth may not be the largest memeber to survivie the extinction ?? and make choice B a possible answer

What am i missing?

Thanks.



Matt, what about B. As Shina stated, B in OE and in your original post are different!!!! :shock:

OE : B - It was pointed out that several species of crocodiles and terrestrial lizards that were much larger than any known Coelacanth fossil survived the Cretaous extinction event.


Original : B - it was pointed out that the Cretaceous period spanned several millions of years, therefore causing mutations amongst most members of the Osteichthye class.


So the former question remains unanswered : why is D better than B?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 582
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2006, 05:09
karlfurt wrote:
hdakshina wrote:
Choice B in the posted screenshot and the the one in the original question are different. The posted screenshot does not talk about any kind of mutation.

If B states that mutations happened amongst most members of the Osteichthye class, would'nt that indicate that the Coelacanth may not be the largest memeber to survivie the extinction ?? and make choice B a possible answer

What am i missing?

Thanks.



Matt, what about B. As Shina stated, B in OE and in your original post are different!!!! :shock:

OE : B - It was pointed out that several species of crocodiles and terrestrial lizards that were much larger than any known Coelacanth fossil survived the Cretaous extinction event.


Original : B - it was pointed out that the Cretaceous period spanned several millions of years, therefore causing mutations amongst most members of the Osteichthye class.


So the former question remains unanswered : why is D better than B?


MATT,

Before this thread gets forgotten, I'll make a new attempt to get your attention. We are at least two members in this forum who would like to know what's up with this CR. You posted it as a "downright difficult one" to awake attention. That's OK but you should have a little more consideration for the people facing troubles. Again, the OE you gave doesn't correspond to your original post. Since many people have spent time on it to provide answers along with explanations, I would be extremely grateful and you would be very kind, if at least you make some effort and answer to our question. What is the source of your CR and why is there a discrepancy between the OE and the original post.

D makes sense in the CR posted for OE. Since the CR of the OE is different from the original, alleging that OA is D for the original post is a little deceptive.

Thanks for your answer.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2006, 05:58
karlfurt wrote:
karlfurt wrote:
hdakshina wrote:
Choice B in the posted screenshot and the the one in the original question are different. The posted screenshot does not talk about any kind of mutation.

If B states that mutations happened amongst most members of the Osteichthye class, would'nt that indicate that the Coelacanth may not be the largest memeber to survivie the extinction ?? and make choice B a possible answer

What am i missing?

Thanks.



Matt, what about B. As Shina stated, B in OE and in your original post are different!!!! :shock:

OE : B - It was pointed out that several species of crocodiles and terrestrial lizards that were much larger than any known Coelacanth fossil survived the Cretaous extinction event.


Original : B - it was pointed out that the Cretaceous period spanned several millions of years, therefore causing mutations amongst most members of the Osteichthye class.


So the former question remains unanswered : why is D better than B?


MATT,

Before this thread gets forgotten, I'll make a new attempt to get your attention. We are at least two members in this forum who would like to know what's up with this CR. You posted it as a "downright difficult one" to awake attention. That's OK but you should have a little more consideration for the people facing troubles. Again, the OE you gave doesn't correspond to your original post. Since many people have spent time on it to provide answers along with explanations, I would be extremely grateful and you would be very kind, if at least you make some effort and answer to our question. What is the source of your CR and why is there a discrepancy between the OE and the original post.

D makes sense in the CR posted for OE. Since the CR of the OE is different from the original, alleging that OA is D for the original post is a little deceptive.

Thanks for your answer.


Karlfurt, sorry about any/all confusion. Hopefully this post will clarify any existing questions you have.

1) The source of this question is the 2007 McGraw-Hills CD-ROM CAT#3. From the book ISBN-10: P/N 0-07-147596-6 of set 0-07-145684-8

2) Answer choice (B) WAS NOT IN the original question. I made it up from a similiar question and added it in to make it more challenging. Yes, you can confirm that fact with the screen shot itself. I also slightly window dressed (E) by glorifying the professor's status a little. (Don't want to be accused of plagirism) :wink:

But the fact is, either way, (B) and (E) are STILL both out of scope and irrelevant, respectively. Both answers do come close, but only (D) properly debuncts the professor assertion and therefore best completes the passage.

I had to reread it ten times before it finally made sense.

Once again, I apologize for leading you astray, but isn't that what a majority of these answer choices try to do anyway?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 582
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2006, 11:11
Thanks. :)

I have to take time now to convince myself that D is better than B... Hope it will not last too long...
  [#permalink] 28 Oct 2006, 11:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Traditionally, anthropology has been distinguished from goodyear2013 4 25 Mar 2014, 14:21
Today I tried CAT test(diagnostic) downloaded from mba.com kbulse 3 03 Jan 2008, 09:27
A thought provoking CR from this week's CAT GMATT73 17 15 Nov 2006, 00:12
My performance in CR has not been consistent at all. I huskers 8 19 Aug 2005, 07:44
It has been a really long 15 hrs today. I had a paper Praetorian 8 02 Feb 2005, 20:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

From today's CAT. Disclaimer* this CR has been edited and

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.