Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From today's CAT. Disclaimer* this CR has been edited and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
From today's CAT. Disclaimer* this CR has been edited and [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 02:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (02:45) wrong based on 1 sessions
From today's CAT. :shock:

Disclaimer* this CR has been edited and altered from the original. Nevertheless, there is only one correct answer.

Usually we get just under two minutes to solve CRs, but I will give you guys THREE minutes to crack the riddle for this mind bender :madd

Which of the following best completes the passage below?

Professor Higgins from the Paleontology department asserted that the Coelacanth was the largest member of the class Osteichthyes (the hard boned fishes) to survive the extinction event at the end of the Cretaceous period around 65 million years ago. Indeed, the discovery of the Coelacanths still living off the coasts of West Africa shows that the ancient fish is hardier than anyone could have imagined. Professor Higgin's assertion, however, was recently shown to be incorrect when ___________.

A. it was proven that sharks, perhaps the best known representatives of Chrondrichtytes, have been around for over 150 million years.
B. it was pointed out that the Cretaceous period spanned several millions of years, therefore causing mutations amongst most members of the Osteichthye class.
C. Paleontologists discovered an 85 million year old fossil of Osteichthye, a a hard boned fish that was virtually identical to, yet twice the size of, the largest Coelacanth on record.
D. a 50-million year old fossil of megalodon carpodon was reclassified from class Chrondrichtytes to class Osteichthyes.
E. a nobel prize winning emeritis Professor called into question the use of the term "Osteichthyes" when in fact not all fish in the class have hard bones.

Answer choices like "My guess is X" or (X) contribute nothing to understanding the logic behind this question. PLEASE explain WHY you chose your answer.

Let the debating begin... :panel

Last edited by GMATT73 on 28 Oct 2006, 07:21, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: One of the most difficult CRs I have ever encountered! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 02:57
GMATT73 wrote:

Usually we get just under two minutes to solve CRs, but I will give you guys THREE minutes to crack the riddle for this mind bender :madd

Professor Higgins from the Paleontology department asserted that the Coelacanth was the largest member of the class Osteichthyes (the hard boned fishes) to survive the extinction event at the end of the Cretaceous period around 65 million years ago. Indeed, the discovery of the Coelacanths still living off the coasts of West Africa shows that the ancient fish is hardier than anyone could have imagined. Professor Higgin's assertion, however, was recently shown to be incorrect when ___________.

A. it was proven that sharks, perhaps the best known representatives of Chrondrichtytes, have been around for over 150 million years.
B. it was pointed out that the Cretaceous period spanned several millions of years, therefore causing mutations amongst most members of the Osteichthye class.
C. Paleontologists discovered an 85 million year old fossil of Osteichthye, a a hard boned fish that was virtually identical to, yet twice the size of, the largest Coelacanth on record.
D. a million year old fossil of megalodon carpodon was reclassified from class Chrondrichtytes to class Osteichthyes.
E. a nobel prize winning emeritis Professor called into question the use of the term "Osteichthyes" when in fact not all fish in the class have hard bones.

Answer choices like "My guess is X" or (X) contribute nothing to understanding the logic behind this question. PLEASE explain WHY you chose your answer.

This is gonna be fun and since everyone is sleeping :wink: so I'll take a shot even if I'm wrong :-D

A is out of scope, we are not even talking about sharks in the argument and that class is not discussed.
B will not do anything to the argument, ok fine it did span several million years and so?
C doesn't do much to prove that Higgins was wrong, 85 million years, ok so some of em must have died and it is not close to the cretaceous period

Left with D and E. I don't know why I don't like D but E seems to make more sense because Higgin's describes class Osteichthyes (the hard boned fishes). But the other professor shows that not all fishes in that class are hard boned. :-D

I'll definitely come back to see what other interesting explainations are going to be posted during the day :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Downright difficult CR: Good luck! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 08:29
GMATT73 wrote:

D. a million year old fossil of megalodon carpodon was reclassified from class Chrondrichtytes to class Osteichthyes.

I think its D

Based on the stem the professors assertion can only be proved wrong if the species of the fish is found outside of the range of 65 million years.

A Irrelevant
B Out of scope
C Irrelevant
D Proffessors assertion is proved wrong due to the miss classification of species and the finding that this species was found only to be a million year old .
E Out of scope
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 08:33
Ok here's my shot.. had to do a little POE here..

A - out of scope.. talks about sharks..

C - irrelavent.... Osteichthye might have been twice the size of the animal in question.. but the argument states that the animal was the largest animal to survive extinction.. We don't know when Osteichthye went extinct..

D - hmm..getting warmer here I think.. but ultimately I had to throw this one out.. since the megladon fossil is a million years old.. we can deduce that is survived the extinction.. but we know nothing of its size.. which is central to the argument..

E - out of scope..

And thus we are left w/ B

My anwser is B because I think the point it is trying to make is that the Coelacanth could have died out, but the mutated form still lives, which is what was cited.. (in all honesty, it was the only one couldn't rule out)

Thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 10:28
Tough one. Going with B.

A - Out of scope. No word on Chrondrichtytes.
B - May be. Mutations indicates a change in the organism and could ledn to disporve the theory
C - 85million year old fossil does not contradict or provide evidence to disprove the stated theory
D - Reclassification and Chrondrichtytes again. Not a choice
E - Seems way out of scope

Unable to eliminate B.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Downright difficult CR: Good luck! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 19:56
GMATT73 wrote:

Sharks have been around for over 150 million years, much longer than Coelacanth. Both types of fish are alive today. But Sharks have been there for longer period, hence they are hardier than Coelacanth fishes. Hence Professor Higgin's assertion is wrong. Hence A is my answer.

Certaceious period..millions of years..mutations...so what? how does that prove Professor's assertions wrong?

C. Paleontologists discovered an 85 million year old fossil of Osteichthye, a hard boned fish that was virtually identical to, yet twice the size of, the largest Coelacanth on record.

Coelacanth type of fishes are alive today. You can find them swimming. C is talking of a fossil. Coelacanth is considered hardier not because of its strong bones, but because of its ability to continue over 65 millions years.

Again fossil. Focus is not classification. Coelacanth can be any thing under classification :wink: It does nt matter. It is the ability of this fish species to last for so many millions of years that make them extraordinary. Doent prove professor's assertion wrong.

Irrelevant.

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 20:14
Between E and B, B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Downright difficult CR: Good luck! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 20:33
GMATT73 wrote:

Assertion: Coelocanth was the largest member of the class to survive extinction. To negate the assertion, we can show that something else that was larger of the same class survived the end of cretaceous period

They are of a different class and hence this does not help negate the assertion
hmm, so? we don't know that there were larger species that survived

would have been right if the number had been a little lower. There was a larger fish but we don't know if it survived
D. a million year old fossil of megalodon carpodon was reclassified from class Chrondrichtytes to class Osteichthyes.The name megalodon suggests that this was a large fish but was it larger than the coelocanth?. It does not say that explicity so have to reject this
No more choices :).. Also since not all fish have hard bones, it is posssible that larger fish survived but there are no fossil records. This then questions the professor's assertions

My answer then is E..
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Downright difficult CR: Good luck! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 00:56
out - conclusion is about the survival of a representative of the ostechiiiix, not chondriiiiiiiiiiiiiix.

hummm - that means that the coelacanth could have been smaller before the cretaceous period than during that period.
reconsidering it, OUT, because it is out of scope. There is a classification, whatever mutations happened at that time.

OUT - doesn't contradict anything

Hummm - I tink it's a trap- "Mega"lodon make us think it could be a very big fish, bigger than the coelacanth, and has disappeared 1Mio years ago. But there are no evidences that it is a bigger fish. OUT

POE...No, I cannot accept it. It is not because a professor emeritis called into question, that Higgin is wrong.
OUT

So between B and D, I go with B, but am not convinced at all since I didn't find any evidence that Higgin IS wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 03:51
E ... i am agree with uvs_mba
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Downright difficult CR: Good luck! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 04:06

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's D. Here's the logic: Megalodon carpodon was alive a million years ago. So, it survived the Cretaceous.
Megalodon has been reassigned to class Osteichthyes.
Megalodon may or may not be bigger than the Coelacanths. But, there is a distinct possibility that other species may be reassigned to the Osteichthyes, rendering the prof's assertion false.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Downright difficult CR: Good luck! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 07:37
GMATT73 wrote:

A - no ; Chrondrichtytes is not a valid a class
B - no ; Hard bones could be considered as the mutation itself
C - no ; 85 million years is too old
D - no ; megalodon carpodon is not a valid species
E - yes ; if not all fish in the class have hard bones, Professor Higgins failed to embrace the all of the class members, and can be mistaken

(E) - OA ?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Downright difficult CR: Good luck! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 08:26
GMATT73 wrote:

A talk about sharks --- out of scope
C. Misleading and information about fossils and nothing useful - irrelevant
E. out of scope.

caught between B and D.

I like B better than D , because Coelacanth would have not survived but its mutating form still alives ...
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 08:44
Thanks guys. Great explanations, but unfortunately still not convinced yet, so let's wait for a little more discussion before posting the OA and OE. This is a really crypic SOB of a CR that requires some intution. Let a couple more big guns chime in and then you will all get the shocker!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Downright difficult CR: Good luck! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 09:12
GMATT73 wrote:

Claim: Fish C is the largest fish in Class O that survived an extinction event at 65 millions ago.
What would make the claim wrong?

Quote:

Sharks are not in class O, so irrelavent.
Quote:

Mutations are irrelevant about who is the largest fish in that class.
Quote:

This fish is class O, and larger, but the fossil is from 85 million years ago so no evidence that it was still around at 65 million years ago.
Quote:

Fish M survived to 1 million years ago, and is reclassified to class O. If it is a larger fish than fish C, then this is what we need.
Quote:

The definition of the class O is irrelavent here.

I would choose D.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Last edited by HongHu on 23 Oct 2006, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 09:34
Will go with E.

<Comparing apples & Oranges>
<Mostly out of context>
<85 Million - still prof's assertion holds good>
<But was it larger than Coelacanth?>
<This is best, because now, the study has to be redone with both types of organisms - ones with bones and others with NO bones. This will suddenly expand the whole group, and the Prof will have to re-study ALL the organisms.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 19:51
hardier: capable of withstanding adverse conditions (according to webster)

I think the focus of the discussion is not size, not classfication, but the ability to endure. That way if A is not the answer, then only B can be the answer.

B is possible because, lot of species of the same period may be alive today but like lizards or cats or humans :wink: or anthing else due to mutations..

Hence Coelacanth is great because it did nt under go mutation unlike other fish of that period. Not because of its hardiness. Hence professor can be wrong.

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2006, 10:40
A) Tells us that sharks are living today, and survived the cretaceous period.....but he mentions nothing about Chrondrichtytes? DEF NOT

B) The extinction happened at the END of the cretaceous period, therefore this tells us nothing of what happens after, DEF OUT

C) Again, this tells us to the time before the extinction. It mentions size, but it does not say if it survived the extinction DEF OUT

D) This tells us that the species was a million year old fossil, however was it alive during the cretacious period? DEF NOT

E) I believe this is the best choice it tells us that the classification is wrong and they need to rexamine all the other species to get the biggest species that survived. Along with POE i believe this is the answer
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2006, 21:37
This one must have been difficult: 3/16 (~20%) of you guys got it correct (including one "big gun")

OA is (D)

OE is attached

Note: The revised answer choice B was added from a similiar question. Nevertheless, it is out of scope and (D) is the winner.

Now that's a toughy!
Attachments

Professor Higgins.doc [106 KiB]
Downloaded 184 times

To download please login or register as a user

Last edited by GMATT73 on 28 Oct 2006, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2006, 22:02
MATT it was really a tough one ..
after reading explanation, convinced with ans D.
Thanks a lot for posting such a good question
  [#permalink] 24 Oct 2006, 22:02