Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 15:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From which universities does Mckinsey Business Technology...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
From which universities does Mckinsey Business Technology... [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 18:31
Hi, does anyone know from which universities does Mckinsey Business Technology recruit? Are there any recommended universities? Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Applied), ROss (Applied), UNC (Waitlisted), Emory (Waitlisted). mcCombs (Waitlisted), kellogg (Interviewed), Haas (Ding)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 14

Re: From which universities does Mckinsey Business Technology... [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 02:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hi hnoman,

AFAIK, top consulting firms generally hire and put one into 'generalist' mode where you are exposed to business problems of varied inddustries including technology. Mc Kinsey has a specialized area 'Business technology' and may put someone in that domain after few years or in case the associate/consultant shows lot of interest in handling technology sector clients and their problems.

I guess your target should be to shortlist all the top consulting firms which have 'technology' as one of the focus areas and then find out the B schools where they recruit the graduates. Hope this helps!

-time4mba
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: From which universities does Mckinsey Business Technology... [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 07:44
Hi time4mba, Thanks for the response. I've sent a note out to Mckinsey; waiting to hear back from them. I'll update this thread when/if they respond.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: From which universities does Mckinsey Business Technology... [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 17:06
Do other consulting firms besides McKinsey also put associates in to a generalist position and assign projects randomly? Considering that you are placed in to a generalist role, how does one formulate post MBA goals? Is it ok to specify what function/industry you want to work in even if you are likely to be hired as a generalist?

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 434 [1] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: From which universities does Mckinsey Business Technology... [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 05:28
This post received
KUDOS
This is not entirely accurate. A lot depends on what you did before b-school. If there is a fit (i.e. a tech guy going to Mckinsey also interesting in staying in the tech strategy area) then they do recruit for BTO. They interviewed specifically for BTO office from LBS where it made sense.

time4mba wrote:
Hi hnoman,

AFAIK, top consulting firms generally hire and put one into 'generalist' mode where you are exposed to business problems of varied inddustries including technology. Mc Kinsey has a specialized area 'Business technology' and may put someone in that domain after few years or in case the associate/consultant shows lot of interest in handling technology sector clients and their problems.

I guess your target should be to shortlist all the top consulting firms which have 'technology' as one of the focus areas and then find out the B schools where they recruit the graduates. Hope this helps!

-time4mba

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: From which universities does Mckinsey Business Technology... [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 05:48
Thanks for the response. I do have a background in technology, and i'm applying to business schools to move towards the technology strategy area. Do you know which universities i should target specially for Mckinsey BTO? MIT Sloan School is definitely one of my top choices; any other recommendations? Thank you.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: From which universities does Mckinsey Business Technology... [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
I have two friends from Kellogg who are joining that group. I think if McKinsey recruits on campus and you position yourself you will stand a good chance. Just make that your aim during the recruiting process and networking events...get in touch with higher ups in that area of the practice and go for it. As long as McKinsey recruits heavily from a school I would say you have a shot at it.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Applied), ROss (Applied), UNC (Waitlisted), Emory (Waitlisted). mcCombs (Waitlisted), kellogg (Interviewed), Haas (Ding)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: From which universities does Mckinsey Business Technology... [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 09:53
Thanks BSD and river_ripper for specific information on business technology hiring in McKinsey. It cleared my thoughts as well and egged me on to seek your advice on the following points:

1. I did my undergraduate in my computer science and worked in software for two years. Then moved on to join business research firm and have been working mainly with technology sector clients for past 3 years. I want to enter management consulting domain, but was wondering whether I can be more specific and say ' technology practice' of consulting years as short term goal. I remember river_ripper your applicant advise thread where you have stressed to play to your strengths in B school application. Do you think with this specific goal my essays would be more convincing?

2. As we know IT consulting is in a different league compared to management consulting. But the question is how will projects/cases differ in McKinsey Business Technology (MBT) compared to say Deloitte which is very much into IT consulting. My guess is in MBT one would brainstorm problems such as fall in rise of X brand of cell phones of a particular mobile manufacturer whereas in Deloitte one would be more in engaged in advising client to deploy certain IT processes to maximize say IT efficiency. Am I am right here in understanding the difference between the two fields of consulting?

3. For an applicant with software development as work experience, will IT consulting or MBT make more sense as short term goal? Or is he/she suited for both? In my case what do you suggest. Is there any other specific work background which would make more sense for MBT? :roll:

Cheers!
time4mba
Re: From which universities does Mckinsey Business Technology...   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2010, 09:53