Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 19:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Frustrated: 1st Attempt, Advice needed badly

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Frustrated: 1st Attempt, Advice needed badly [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2007, 16:51
I took GMAT y'day and scored a meager 600 (48 Q, 26 V). I have been scoring 700+ in all the practice tests that I took including GMATPrep. This is certainly not the representation of my potential. I gave 1 month of preparation, took time off from work and devoted close to 3-6 hrs a day. I can't wait to tell you what really happened. I did quant. ok - but the fact that I left last 5-6 questions unanswered because of lack of time kept lingering in my head while I started verbal. This coupled with strain of 2.15 hrs made my brain dead by the time I reached 10th question in verbal. I was literally staring at screen with minutes passing by. I tried my best to regain my focus but all the efforts went in vain. I knew it was over for me and that made me so hysterical that I started guessing every next question including RC ones from 10th onwards. I finished verbal with 15 mins remaining. I didn't cancel my exam because I wanted to see how much I scored in quant. When I hit the button, I saw 48 in quant and a score of 600. My quant was ok and this really ticked me off.

My study material included
- OG (10, 11)
- SC1000 (till 240), CR 1000 (till test 20)
- GMATClub (weekly 30 qs)
- Manhattan SC

My practice Test Scores
- GMATPrep (1st Day: 640)
- PowerPrep: 770, 740
- GMATPrep (3 days before: 710) - Inflated perhaps

Here is what I have realized -

. Gmat qs are harder than OG's. I never expected quant to be this tough and it took away most of my stamina
. ability to cope up with strain makes a huge difference

My verbal is not so great but I have been able to apply concepts in practice sessions and score (~38-40). The difference was really made by the state of mind. I felt I didnt have anything to move on with verbal.

My profile:
- want to do part time MBA (NY Area) - Stern (if possible)
- graduated from no. 1 engineering institute in India
- 7-8 yrs work exp
- GPA 3.4

My plan -
1) Take GMAT in next month or so
2) Test Simulation : as close as GMAT
3) Any other advice?

Question:
Will 1st attempt score matter, if I score 700+ and apply in top colleges?

Thanks in advance!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Frustrated: 1st Attempt, Advice needed badly [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2007, 18:54
syd1976 wrote:
I took GMAT y'day and scored a meager 600 (48 Q, 26 V). I have been scoring 700+ in all the practice tests that I took including GMATPrep. This is certainly not the representation of my potential. I gave 1 month of preparation, took time off from work and devoted close to 3-6 hrs a day. I can't wait to tell you what really happened. I did quant. ok - but the fact that I left last 5-6 questions unanswered because of lack of time kept lingering in my head while I started verbal. This coupled with strain of 2.15 hrs made my brain dead by the time I reached 10th question in verbal. I was literally staring at screen with minutes passing by. I tried my best to regain my focus but all the efforts went in vain. I knew it was over for me and that made me so hysterical that I started guessing every next question including RC ones from 10th onwards. I finished verbal with 15 mins remaining. I didn't cancel my exam because I wanted to see how much I scored in quant. When I hit the button, I saw 48 in quant and a score of 600. My quant was ok and this really ticked me off.

My study material included
- OG (10, 11)
- SC1000 (till 240), CR 1000 (till test 20)
- GMATClub (weekly 30 qs)
- Manhattan SC

My practice Test Scores
- GMATPrep (1st Day: 640)
- PowerPrep: 770, 740
- GMATPrep (3 days before: 710) - Inflated perhaps

Here is what I have realized -

. Gmat qs are harder than OG's. I never expected quant to be this tough and it took away most of my stamina
. ability to cope up with strain makes a huge difference

My verbal is not so great but I have been able to apply concepts in practice sessions and score (~38-40). The difference was really made by the state of mind. I felt I didnt have anything to move on with verbal.

My profile:
- want to do part time MBA (NY Area) - Stern (if possible)
- graduated from no. 1 engineering institute in India
- 7-8 yrs work exp
- GPA 3.4

My plan -
1) Take GMAT in next month or so
2) Test Simulation : as close as GMAT
3) Any other advice?

Question:
Will 1st attempt score matter, if I score 700+ and apply in top colleges?

Thanks in advance!

Well, first I have to say. . . 600 on the 1st attempt is a lot better than I did, so much respect for that. I commend you for realizing you can do better and striving for that.

From what I understand most schools will look at the highest of the scores.

Don't fret. You'll do fine. Good luck in you quest!! Keep us posted
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2007, 14:21
I feel your pain. Just got a 600 yesterday myself on 2nd attempt. I had nearly the same problem w the verbal. In any case, B-schools will only look at your top score. They don't average them. goodluck
  [#permalink] 29 Dec 2007, 14:21