Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 17:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Frustrated - Please help with a review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Frustrated - Please help with a review [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 09:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
There is probably a lot of information in this request however I am hoping it will help give you a better sense of what I have done and what I am doing since my profile is a bit hard to explain. I feel that itself may have had some impact on my previous applications, in that I may not have been able to get my point or experience across clearly enough. Any help would be great.

I have applied to schools for the past 2 years as you can see from my profile but haven’t had any luck so far. I would like to know. It is a frustrating process and frankly I am unsure about how to continue. I did go to a "reputed" counsellor last year but fortunately I had done a lot of research through GC before I went to him and was not taken in by all his "advice".

GC has been home for me these past couple of years and I am hoping it is able to come through again this time. It would be absolutely wonderful if you could help me out.

GMAT:710 (Q49 V38)

Academics: 2010 B.E. (Electronics & Telecomm)

MBA Specialization: Marketing

Short term: Brand Management preferably in the Luxury Sector, Improving the model for my e-commerce venture

Long term goal for MBA: Start a Brand management firm providing end-to-end solutions for Luxury Companies as well as reduced rate/pro bono services for NGOs

Your work ex:

3 yrs at Matriculation

1.75 yrs @ Operation Smile India (non-profit) (Indian chapter of American Non-profit doing free cleft Lip & Cleft palate surgeries) as Resource Mobilization Coordinator
  • Streamlining the branding, created presentations, newsletters, etc.
  • Created the branding (being used internationally) for the Cleft Care Centre
  • Working with Student/School Clubs to raise awareness & funds

3 mths so far (1 yr at Matriculation) @ Trinity Vintners Pvt. Ltd.(Indian Wine co. over 1 yr old) as Communications Manager
  • Brand & Marketing management for Turning Point wines, JLT wines, Scotch Malt & Whisky Society (India)
  • Conceptualizing Brand activation, promotions & launches

9 mths ago (simultaneously running this with both other jobs) I conceived an e-commerce venture The Laptop Skin Vault (http://www.laptopskinvault.com) Designing Laptop Skins & launched my website end of March. I founded it as well created all the designs so far. Planning to open it up to other designers on a Royalty basis for their designs which I will sell through my website.

I also do freelance Logo & presentation designing.

ECs:
  • Creative Head for IEEE (2009)
  • Finance head & Chief Editor Magazine in Undergrad (2008 & 2009).
  • Mentored a student with his High School business project (2011)
  • Volunteered on 6 Operation Smile missions in India (2010-2011)
  • Part of proceeds from my Laptop Skins Venture are donated to charity

Region you want to settle post MBA: USA but open to coming back to Asia, long-term looking to come back to India

Target Schools:
  • NYU Stern
  • UCLA
  • Chicago Booth
  • Northwestern Kellogg
  • Berkeley Haas
  • INSEAD Singapore
  • UC Davis
    Would like to hear any suggestions you may have

Any other Question that concerns you:
  • Is my profile good enough to apply again this year? – My goals are much clearer and my work ex is
  • better esp with my new position the responsibilities are much greater. My salary has also almost doubled.
  • Are my school choices correct? Are there any schools I should add or remove?
  • Any suggestions you may have?
  • Am I going about this wrong?Should I be doing anything else to strengthen my chances?

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Frustrated - Please help with a review [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 17:13
Expert's post
Hi, Kidchaos,

One area that may have been a challenge for you applying the past two years is work experience. On average, most applicants have about 5 years of work experience. Even applying with 3 years of experience can be a challenge. You need to make sure that you are demonstrating your leadership and maturity. If you feel you can’t do that yet, you could wait another year to build up those experiences. You have well-defined career goals which are good. You will also need to demonstrate your strong foundation for this path using examples from your experience to date. Assuming your GPA is around 3.5, you should be in the academic range for these programs. You can also supplement your professional examples with examples of leadership from your recent (within past 3 years of applying) community service.

I am sure that you have a list of criteria you developed to put this school list together. Booth is probably one that does not stand out for you, but I am sure you have your reasons for that. You don’t mention if you are reapplying to any of these programs. If you are, it is essential that you demonstrate why you are a better candidate now than when you applied last year.

Good luck,
Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php