Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 02:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Frustrating scores

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAt Status: Quant section
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
Schools: WBS (D)
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 94

Frustrating scores [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
hello guys

i can see a lot of people here scoring high on the prep tests , but at the actual exam they score at least 50 point less.

it will be horrible and frustrating to score 600 or 650 after months of hard preparation ,staying at home on weekends , still awake till 3 AM studying and then go to work or university at 7.

what's the cause in your opinion ?
1. real exam question much harder ?
2. we take the same prep exams more than once , so the results get inflated ?
3. we get nervous ?
4. learning gap ?
5. inappropriate materials ?

let's define the problem to avoid it and help people who taking the exam be more confident when they take the exam

i wish people who had this problem and scored less in their actual exam, to provide their point of view

How can i lose my faith in life's fairness when i know that the dreams of those who sleep on the feathers are not more beautiful than the dreams of those who sleep on the ground? - Jubran Khaleel Jubran

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 94

Re: Frustrating scores [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 16:33
any replies ?

How can i lose my faith in life's fairness when i know that the dreams of those who sleep on the feathers are not more beautiful than the dreams of those who sleep on the ground? - Jubran Khaleel Jubran

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Frustrating scores [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 05:48
This post received
KUDOS
Silver89 wrote:
any replies ?

Boss, RELAX. From your post it is apparent that you're freaking out.

What you mentioned happened to me. After months and months of preparation I ended up with just a 670. But it's not the end of the world! I can always retake.

The Debriefs you read should be taken with a grain of salt. Don't blindly think that whatever happened to others, will happen to you as well.

If you prepare for the score, believe me you will fall down. Make sure you prepare to be your best on test day - Focus on concepts, get fundamentals correct and timing flawless. Don't speculate.

All the best.

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Frustrating scores [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 05:53
This post received
KUDOS
Silver89 wrote:
hello guys

i can see a lot of people here scoring high on the prep tests , but at the actual exam they score at least 50 point less.

it will be horrible and frustrating to score 600 or 650 after months of hard preparation ,staying at home on weekends , still awake till 3 AM studying and then go to work or university at 7.

what's the cause in your opinion ?
1. real exam question much harder ? Not really, you wont have time to think whether its more difficult or easy. Its not the questions that make it difficult, but the timing pressures and decision making do. Believe me - its here that plenty of people falter.

2. we take the same prep exams more than once , so the results get inflated ? Hell yes PERIOD. Don't go with false confidence.

3. we get nervous ? You can expect to get a little nervous, especially when you are on the last 10 questions and you feel you will run out of time. Believe me, the brain just freezes. But then again, that is what the GMAT tests, everyone gets nervous and freaks out, but what you do about it will decide your score. In short - expect that you WILL get nervous. So what will you do about it ?

4. learning gap ? I dont think so, if you cover the general strategy guides mentioned on this forum, the basic concepts you need will be like cement in your mind. Other than a couple of minor topics, there wouldn't be a question that won't KNOW how to crack.It is the intense pressure that will make it difficult for you. If we had unlimited amount of time, I am sure that a huge majority will score an 800, unless you are downright stupid, which I don't think you are.

5. inappropriate materials ? That can be a problem, there is a plethora of material available and every next person today is starting a test prep company that makes non-standard material. You have to be careful of that. Why don't you post your material and maybe the forum can help.

let's define the problem to avoid it and help people who taking the exam be more confident when they take the exam

i wish people who had this problem and scored less in their actual exam, to provide their point of view - that is me!!

Manager
Manager

Re: Frustrating scores [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 06:06
thanks a lot for your response
i'm quite nervous , i don't enough time to retake the exam because i'm applying in January .
i'm lost between reading RC passages or reading fiction books, i think the passages cover more topics like history science and other than the fiction books . are you agree ?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Frustrating scores [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 06:16
Silver89 wrote:
thanks a lot for your response
i'm quite nervous , i don't enough time to retake the exam because i'm applying in January .
i'm lost between reading RC passages or reading fiction books, i think the passages cover more topics like history science and other than the fiction books . are you agree ?

Well, for starters I am sorry that I cannot comment on the topics of the REAL THING.

But I can tell you that they were very easy. I can't be sure of the questions but the passages themselves were pretty easy to understand. Anyway the RC doesn't expect any knowledge from your end, so the topic WILL NOT be a problem. The only thing is that if you see a long passage, DO NOT get intimidated and attack it head on. The answers are very easy if you read the passage properly, IMHO.

About the nervousness, have a strategy for it. Think of something to do when you get nervous.

During my test, I finished the quant section with 2 secs on the clock. I did the last question in the last 25 secs. While clicking on the next button, my hands were trembling!!! When I walked out to take a break, I was still trembling. I sat on the chair outside and closed my eyes and started taking deep breaths. I was fine in 30 secs. Try it, maybe it will work for you.

And your test is for December, dude we can take the test twice within that time frame. Maybe you have a lot of workload, but you gotta relax. If you freak out, you have lost 50% of the battle.

Manager
Manager

Re: Frustrating scores [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 06:29
thanks man for the advices .... i will try to follow
these days i am taking the end of summer semester's exams
when i finish them , i will put a good strategy then try to start from the beginning and stick to the plan
i think 4 moths are enough
thanks again

Re: Frustrating scores   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2011, 06:29