Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Frustrating Times

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Frustrating Times [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2005, 21:51
I took the GMAT yesterday and scored a 580. I was very disappointed because I really thought I kicked but on the quant section. but I scored pretty low. I took the Kaplan prep course and scored between 600 and 620 on all the CATs. I am retaking the test on the 16th of December. Does anyone have a good study regimen? I have a pretty good math base and I really don't know what I did wrong. I hear a lot of peole mentioning the OG. Is it really that good. I looked at the OG a few times but I found that the quant section wasn't as challenging as the Kaplan CATs. Is there OG quan representative of whats on the real GMAT? I'd appreciate any advice that's out there. Thanks.

Chris
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2005, 07:12
The OG is closer to the real thing than Kaplan is. Also make sure to do the PowerPrep and GMATPrep CATs.

But a good study regimen has very little to do with what books you buy, and a lot more to do with how you use them. Instead of just going through questions to get them done, take your time, go through them slowly and spend time writing out explanations in longhand as to why you got to each answer. This forum is a good place to do that. Make sure you really understand all the concepts inside out and backwards. Then work on your timing with a stopwatch to pace yourself.

Good luck! All the stories on this forum of people who pulled up their scores by 100+ points should hopefully be inspiring to you.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

I had similar experience [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 09:51
cwolfe17,

I recently took the GMAT after studying almost every day for 3 months. I think I may have overstudied and was burned out the week before test. I was getting a lot of tough math questions which I thought I got right. I was dissapointed to see i only got a Q 42. I totally tanked my verbal though due to distractions and losing track of time. Next time I need to focus better. I think they made the quant harder esp to get to the top levels.

I was doing well on PR and GMATPrep but had a hard time adjusting to the font and screen on PP. I will probably prepare to take it early next year. Good luck in your next try!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Probs w/ quant [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 13:48
Hi there. I scored a 550 this weekend on my second attempt (1st attempt=530) and the quant is what screwed me over (again). Im shooting for 600 plus when I take it next (mid dec or beg. of Jan.) but I've got to get my quant up in order to do that. I'm at 85th percentil for verbal so I'll only be doing 'maintenance' on that.

I've got the OG 11th ed. and I'm going through each quant problem tediously. I also downloaded the error log on this site to keep track of my errors and the types of problems I'm struggling with.

Also, I bookmarked these flashcards someone made for their own study purposes on beatthegmat.com. I plan on going through those periodically to refresh concepts. In addition, I'm taking notes out of the OG on some of the principles I really need help on. I find that for me to really sink concepts into my brain I've got to write them down on paper rather than just reading from the book.

Also, I'm checking out the math forum on here while I'm at work and can't pull out a huge GMAT book.

Good Luck!
Probs w/ quant   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2005, 13:48