Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 17:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

FT local lower rank program vs. Weekend higher rank program

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.26
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 16

FT local lower rank program vs. Weekend higher rank program [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 16:49
I've heard a lot of negative things about weekend and part time programs, but the growing trend of schools like NYU, Haas, and Booth offering weekend programs leads me to believe that these can be viewed as more legitimate.

For personal reasons I can't really "go away" to business school, but am still interested in going to a top caliber school if possible. So the question is this...is it better to go to a lower ranked "regional" school with decent local placement full-time, or to do a more "prestigious" school on the weekend.

I'm most interested in consulting, but can only travel say 25-50% of the time so I think the big guys will probably end up being out of the question, but I'm not sure if there's a consulting firm that offers that.

Other than that I'm interested in project and operations/supply chain management...no real background in finance but I'm not apposed to considering it either. Just never had an exposure to it from my liberal arts background.

Appreciate the comments.

Nos
Manager
Manager

Re: FT local lower rank program vs. Weekend higher rank program [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 10:59
Anyone have any thoughts here? I know it's a bit of an odd question, but any thoughts would be appreciated.
Current Student
Schools: Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: FT local lower rank program vs. Weekend higher rank program [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 11:16
I'll put in my two cents, several guys I know are doing a weekend program. It all depends on who you are, where you're at, and where you want to go. Part-time and weekend programs are fine, but firms that hire a lot of MBAs know the difference between the two programs, and the part-time programs don't carry as much cachet as their full-time counterparts. The admissions standards are lower for part-time programs because they are pursuing a much smaller demographic and are perceived as cash cows for the MBA programs as much as they are viewed as educational opportunities.

I'm not sure where you're from or where you intend to go, but if you intend to stay in the region you currently live in after graduation, a solid regional program should give you just about the same opportunities as the bigger national/international names. The guys I know at part-time programs say the career service support is somewhat weaker and that they've had to do a lot more leg work on their own because a large percentage of the students aren't switching jobs.

If it were me, I'd avoid the hassle of constant travel and working while studying and stay regional.
Manager
Manager

Re: FT local lower rank program vs. Weekend higher rank program [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 12:02
Appreciate the reply piggles. Unfortunately I will not be mobile after my MBA for reasons beyond my control so as much as it pains me to give up the opportunity to go to a top caliber school I may have to do that for exactly the reasons you said. There is one top school near me, which is coincidentally the best fit for me in all the research I've done so far, that I'd love to just apply to over and over until they accept me, but I doubt that strategy will work so I'll need to cast my net a bit wider.

Nos
Re: FT local lower rank program vs. Weekend higher rank program   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2011, 12:02