Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 06:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

FT MBA: Manchester vs Warwick vs Melbourne vs London Cass

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which one would you pick?

• 66% [2]
  • 0% [0]
  • 0% [0]
  • 33% [1]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

FT MBA: Manchester vs Warwick vs Melbourne vs London Cass [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 19:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi there,

I am facing a huge dilemma. Received offers for all four of the above with scholarships (50%, 30%, 60%, 30% respectively). I am an engineer with project finance experience wishing to transition into banking and finance (plan B is Management Consultancy).

1. Which one has the best reputation worldwide?
2. I personally think the 18 month course at MBS is the best as it gives me plenty of time to secure an internship and post MBA job but I am a bit concerned about how hard it would be to land a top role in the UK. At Melbourne for instance, despite it being lowly ranked, it is the best bschool in Australia, so students (even international ones) get snapped up pretty easily.
3. In terms of campus recruitment, which one is better for IB and MBB?
4. Studied for my undergrad degree at one of the above, does it look bad to go back to the same uni for bschool?

Please give me your honest opinion of what you would do if you were in my position so that I can form mine.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2419

Kudos [?]: 10390 [0], given: 3778

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: FT MBA: Manchester vs Warwick vs Melbourne vs London Cass [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 12:40
Expert's post
I guess one more question/vote/option to add would be to wait another year and get into a much higher ranked school but I see you ruled that out - is that out of question?

I have heard very good things about Manchester and their 2nd year project is a pretty cool way to finish the MBA, and can't beat having a pub on campus. On the other hand, it seems the MBA is a bit under-rated and the alum network with 40,000 alumni, I can't imagine it being strong. (strength is not in quantity but in quality, and usually deficit)

At the same time i think Melbourne would be a fantastic 2 year break away from the UK; different culture, new start, etc - if you are up for it. If your information about recruiting is right then you have a good chance of moving up with a great company somewhere in Asia Pac (possibly can go back to the UK in a few years after that if that becomes a goal) but it does not seem this would be the right play for a job in the UK. I mean Melbourne is exotic and will get you to stand out but interviewing and job seeking from down under is a pain....

Have you determined where you would like to live/work after graduation? Do you want to be in UK or in Asia?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: FT MBA: Manchester vs Warwick vs Melbourne vs London Cass [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 19:32
bb wrote:
I guess one more question/vote/option to add would be to wait another year and get into a much higher ranked school but I see you ruled that out - is that out of question?

I have heard very good things about Manchester and their 2nd year project is a pretty cool way to finish the MBA, and can't beat having a pub on campus. On the other hand, it seems the MBA is a bit under-rated and the alum network with 40,000 alumni, I can't imagine it being strong. (strength is not in quantity but in quality, and usually deficit)

At the same time i think Melbourne would be a fantastic 2 year break away from the UK; different culture, new start, etc - if you are up for it. If your information about recruiting is right then you have a good chance of moving up with a great company somewhere in Asia Pac (possibly can go back to the UK in a few years after that if that becomes a goal) but it does not seem this would be the right play for a job in the UK. I mean Melbourne is exotic and will get you to stand out but interviewing and job seeking from down under is a pain....

Have you determined where you would like to live/work after graduation? Do you want to be in UK or in Asia?

Just a small correction, Melbourne is 1 year programme.
Tuck Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 67

Premium Member
Re: FT MBA: Manchester vs Warwick vs Melbourne vs London Cass [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 06:00
wouldbecrazy wrote:
Just a small correction, Melbourne is 1 year programme.

This is correct. They've just changed it to 1-yr last year after the new dean who was from HBS took over. The schedule looks very intense as it's modeled like work, i.e. 8 to 5. I like how Fridays at MBS are dedicated to 'integration learning'.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: FT MBA: Manchester vs Warwick vs Melbourne vs London Cass [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 06:13
Thanks for your comments. I'm still very divided but I strongly feel that as a career switcher, a 2 year MBA gives me more options of finding the right job. I have worked in the UK before and I am now working in Hong Kong, I'd like to experience Melbourne one day but I'm sure that with a UK MBA that's still possible. To be honest I don't know where I want to end up, that's why I want a degree which gives me the best tools for an international career...
I know Warwick and Cass have a strong reputation in Uk but I'm not sure that extends outside. What do you think?
Re: FT MBA: Manchester vs Warwick vs Melbourne vs London Cass   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2013, 06:13