Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

FT or PT and what schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

FT or PT and what schools? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 22:45
I appreciate anyone who reads this for taking the time to read my post. I thank anyone who replies to my post.
At age 31, what programs should I try for. Female. Nationality - India. Work exp - 9 years. Exp as an Engineer in Technology firms. Current salary - 130K base. Undergrad - Cornell Engineering. GPA - 2.8. GMAT - 720.

I am at a stage in my career where I am getting too technical and without an MBA I feel I am stuck in highly technical roles and my growth is limited. I know I am late but I couldn't afford to go for a MBA sooner.

I prefer a full-time MBA as that will open more doors and teach me a lot more considering my tech background. However, given my age and current salary, I am not sure what programs to aim for. If I were to try part-time, is UC Berkeley Haas possible? If I were to try full-time, what schools to aim for? Is Duke, Cornell possible? My guess is a top 10 is out of range for me??
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: FT or PT and what schools? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 07:39
Thank you for your posting.

You are reaching the stage of your career where many schools will not consider you for their full-time program. The reason is that they are concerned that by the time you graduate, their career services may not be able to help you secure the type of position you desire. On the other hand, there are still a large number of schools that desire more mature students so these are the schools that I would recommend that you focus your efforts on as a full-time applicant. These schools include Wharton, Ross, Anderson, Kellogg, Johnson and Fuqua. Columbia is also a possibility.

My experience with Haas part-time is that you are going to have to overcome your undergraduate record in order to be admitted. This can be done in many different ways including high GMAT scores. You might also want to consider the weekend program at UCLA Anderson. All of the other top part-time programs are just too far away to be considered viable options for you,.

As for your candidacy, your entire margin of error has been used up in your undergraduate GPA. This means that everything moving forward has to be top notch - including essays, recommendations, resume, interview, etc. This requires a great deal of investment in terms of time, energy and resources. Also, do not under-estimate the time it takes to prepare a competitive application.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: FT or PT and what schools?   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2013, 07:39