Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

full-ride Ross vs. Wharton?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

full-ride Ross vs. Wharton

You may select 1 option
Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS, Kellogg, Ross (w/$$), Wharton , HBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

full-ride Ross vs. Wharton? [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2011, 12:52
I know I am unbelievably fortunate, and I never expected to be in this incredible situation.

I had finally decided to attend Ross with a full-ride and decline my Columbia acceptance, and then I got into Wharton with a small amount of $.

I am looking to go into general management or maybe a non-traditional route, and definitely not finance or consulting. Any thoughts on which school to choose? Help!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

Re: full-ride Ross vs. Wharton? [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2011, 18:37
I take it the cashish from Hwarton is negligible compared to the full ride @ Rawss. If you're going a non-traditional route, I wonder if you're running more unemployment risk, in which case it might make sense to graduate with no debt.

Ross is an awesome school; I have visited many times and interacted with dozens of people there. I love it, and I have never met anyone who was at all unhappy with it. It goes without saying that Hwarton is awesome too, and maybe it's that "it-goes-without-saying-ness" that puts it over the top, rightly or wrongly.

Comparing a tangible sum of money to a less tangible cachet is difficult. The brand can easily trump your most honest practical analysis. Nice problem to have, in any event. Hopefully I've managed to say slightly more than nothing; I'd go with Ross.

Disclosure time: I'm turning down a no-money offer from Ross.

The end is only the beginning.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: full-ride Ross vs. Wharton? [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 18:03
A Ross full ride is 104k (assuming 52k a year tuition). The question becomes how much you like Ross vs. How much more you like Wharton with X dollars? Personally, since you don't want to do consulting or finance, I'd say pick Ross and not worry about any debt except living expenses (which is lower in A2 than Philly)

The real value of Wharton to me is it's alumni in finance especially if you want to get into IB then later get into HF/PE (which is hard enough as it is). Since the money that can be made in these industries compared to GM job can be significantly more, that's where Wharton flexes it's muscles.

Since you are considering GM, the placement and pay would be exactly the same at both schools and the same goes for a non-traditional path, which is an off campus job search anyways. In this case, I would take the money and go to Ross. You will have greater flexibility and less stress finding those non-traditional jobs since you won't have to consider significant loan repayments.

If your goals were based on only MBB consulting placement or top finance, I would say Wharton.
Current Student
Schools: R1: Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, Michigan, Kellogg, Duke

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: full-ride Ross vs. Wharton? [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 19:00
I would choose Wharton. Although 100k is a lot of money, I think having that brand on your resume forever and access to the alumni network would be worth it, even if you're not interested in pursuing a traditional path. I think in the end, all the top bschools are pretty similar and you're gonna find your niche either way, so go to the best that you can get into. Good luck!
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [4] , given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: full-ride Ross vs. Wharton? [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 20:44
This post received
KUDOS
There's no right or wrong answer here. What you're seeing in these responses is purely a function of each person's unique personality, values, and interests. If you were comparing the schools at equal costs, you'd have a hard time finding a large number of people on this forum who wouldn't tell you to attend Wharton. Wharton definitely has the more prestigious brand name, and that's something you can't ignore.

I'm a debt-avoider, so for your goals, I'd choose Ross and save the money. If you thought there was good possibility that you'd pursue a career in IB, HF, or PE, then I'd be inclined to attend Wharton - just in case! However, paying $100k+ for a brand name that uniquely opens doors in fields you're not interested in... that just sounds like the cost of pride to me (which is okay too!).

A few things for you to keep in mind...
  • You're going to have a great time at either school.
  • Wharton will open more doors overall.
  • Ross might open all of the doors that you'll actually be interested in.
  • $100k+ in student loans (or depleted savings) might actually LIMIT your ability to pursue great opportunities in the short-term.

Good luck with the decision and congratulations on all of your hard work!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

Re: full-ride Ross vs. Wharton? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 05:55
^^^Great post.

The end is only the beginning.

Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 37

Re: full-ride Ross vs. Wharton? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 06:44
Being able to say you're attending Ross on a full scholarship might help during recruiting. I think people are impressed by those accomplishments.
Re: full-ride Ross vs. Wharton?   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2011, 06:44