Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 09:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Financing a foreign MBA: How?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Financing a foreign MBA: How? [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2010, 20:17
BIG QUESTION:

If you are an American citizen entering a foreign MBA program located outside of the UNITED STATES, such as in Asia or Europe, how are you attaining financing for the program?

Because, unless I'm mistaken, Federal Loans (Stafford/Sallie Mae) are viable only for domestic U.S. schools, as are private grad-level loans from U.S. banks. For instance, Citibank stipulates, "You must be enrolled or planning to attend an undergraduate or graduate program at least part-time at an accredited college or university in the U.S."

So, for those US citizens entering foreign MBA programs (and who are not employer sponsored), how are you financing it?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 4

Re: Financing a foreign MBA: How? [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 04:36
This post received
KUDOS
You may want to do some research but I believe you are still eligible for a Stafford loan even if the b-school you're attending is outside of the US. If you do a quick google search I'm sure you can verify this.

Then, many schools have ties with local banks (e.g. LBS with HSBC) and loans are given to foreign students as well. Lastly, there are plenty of scholarships out there (e.g. corporate scholarships or merit based scholarships).

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Financing a foreign MBA: How? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 07:42
lifeisshort wrote:
BIG QUESTION:

If you are an American citizen entering a foreign MBA program located outside of the UNITED STATES, such as in Asia or Europe, how are you attaining financing for the program?

Because, unless I'm mistaken, Federal Loans (Stafford/Sallie Mae) are viable only for domestic U.S. schools, as are private grad-level loans from U.S. banks. For instance, Citibank stipulates, "You must be enrolled or planning to attend an undergraduate or graduate program at least part-time at an accredited college or university in the U.S."

So, for those US citizens entering foreign MBA programs (and who are not employer sponsored), how are you financing it?

the good news for you is that most first tier Euro Bschools have loan agreements with local banks. Even foreign students can apply for loans without local cosigner. Given that most Euro Bschools have 90% of students from abroad, they need to have this loan programme in place. Some schools have even dedicated scholarships for admitted students from specific countries, either in order to develop geographic reach or national alumni donated to funds.
Re: Financing a foreign MBA: How?   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2011, 07:42