Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3525 [41]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [17]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Similar to rising interest rates, consumer and producer prices have [#permalink]
Will someone please take a moment to explain why A) is incorrect.

A) Only throws me off because rising interest rates may loosely be connected with consumer and producer prices? Perhaps the sentence would be better as "consumer and producer prices have been rising, similar to interest rates." [someone please confirm]
B) Looks fine to me
C) I believe is not a complete sentence since neither clause is an independent clause. I also believe that the are/have verb tenses conflict. [someone please confirm]
D) Should be AS instead of LIKE
E) Should be LIKE instead of AS
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [0]
Send PM
Re: Similar to rising interest rates, consumer and producer prices have [#permalink]
Why would option E but incorrect in this case? As is used correctly used with a clause and "have been rising" correctly modifies prices. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3525 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
gettinit,
Thats a good point you make. Brett can you please elaborate on this. The only reason I can think of E being incorrect is awkwardness.
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Great discussion here! Let's tackle these questions individually:

Is A incorrect because it is comparing interest rates to rise in consumer prices?
--> A is actually comparing "rising interest rates" to consumer prices. In effect, we are saying that both "rising interest rates" and "consumer prices" are rising. It doesn't make sense to say that "rising interest rates" are rising.

Why is E incorrect?
--> E is incorrect because (as gettinit mentions), we need to use "like" in place of "as" before "interest rates" because "interest rates" is a noun and thus needs to be compared using "like." (see my previous explanation).

Is C parallel?
-->No. We say as interest rates "are rising"..."so have" the other prices. To be parallel here, we'd have to say "As interest rates are rising, prices are rising." or "Like interest rates, prices are rising."

Does that help alleviate some of the concern here?

Brett
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
So the answer is B? I don't get why C is wrong though..

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
BKimball wrote:
C is wrong because it is not parallel. (Comparisons are basically just a special form of parallelism.)

C says: "As interest rates are rising, so have consumer and producer prices."

The verb in the first part is "are rising." This is a different tense than "have." Those two tenses need to be parallel.

You could correctly say: "As interest rates have risen, so too have prices."

Does that help?

Brett

Yes, it does. Thank you.

And what about the idiom? If C were "As interest rates are rising, so are consumer and producer prices" would be correct, or would be wrong because the proper idiom is "Just as...so".

Another question: If C were "As interest rates are rising, so have been consumer and producer prices" would be ||? can a present continous be parallel with a present perfect?
Thanks in advance.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
BKimball wrote:
ajit257,

Good question. "As" in the context in which you are asking has to do with comparisons. Notice how the question substitutes "similar to" and "like" for "as" in the different answer choices. On the GMAT, "like" and "as" serve different purposes. (People very often use these wrong in speech, so be careful):

Like: Used to compare nouns
As: Used to compare clauses (clauses contain verbs)

"My uncle looks like my aunt." --> Correct: We're saying the two look SIMILAR TO each other. One noun (my uncle) is similar to another noun (my aunt).

"My uncle looks at me as my aunt does."--> Correct: We're saying they both look at me in a similar way. They both DO things in a similar way, so we're no longer comparing nouns and thus can't use "like."

"My uncle looks as my aunt." --> Incorrect. "My aunt" is a noun and and needs to be compared using "like."
"My uncle looks at me like my aunt does." --> Incorrect because we're comparing two clauses (how my uncle looks at me and how my aunt looks at me) and thus we need to use "as" instead of "like."

The question you want to ask yourself, then, is: "What is being compared to what?" If you're comparing nouns, use "like." If you're comparing clauses, use "as."

This all helps explain some of the wrong answers.

The next thing to notice here is that comparisons (which use "like" or "as") require parallel construction. If you look at a few of these answer choices, you see broken parallelism:

As (present tense), so (present perfect tense).
As (present perfect tense), so (present tense).

So we can also narrow down answer choices this way. Why don't you use this to take a guess and see how you do? I'll be notified when you respond.

Brett

Hi Brett I can make out that you have rejected C because
of the different tense usaage.
As present tense ,so present perfect.
I think this sentence requires different tense usage.The sentence needs to convey the message that "Interest rates are rising now the way consumer and producer prices have been rising in the past and are still rising.
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [0]
Send PM
mundasingh123,

You are right that the prices rose in the recent past and continue to do so, thus they "have been rising." However, the grammar in the sentence is more important than the meaning of the sentence. Since (B) is the only answer that is grammatically correct, you really shouldn't worry about whether the meaning is at all changed from the original or whether it says exactly what you think it should say. Grammar is king on the GMAT.

The meaning of (B) is that both the prices and the rates are on an upward trend, thus they have both "been rising." I don't see any problem with that from a grammar sense or a meaning sense.

Does that explanation help?

Best,

Brett
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
BKimball wrote:
mundasingh123,

You are right that the prices rose in the recent past and continue to do so, thus they "have been rising." However, the grammar in the sentence is more important than the meaning of the sentence. Since (B) is the only answer that is grammatically correct, you really shouldn't worry about whether the meaning is at all changed from the original or whether it says exactly what you think it should say. Grammar is king on the GMAT.

The meaning of (B) is that both the prices and the rates are on an upward trend, thus they have both "been rising." I don't see any problem with that from a grammar sense or a meaning sense.

Does that explanation help?

Best,

Brett

Could you explain my "idiom" question above?

Thanks in advance!
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Noboru,

Your question is:
Quote:
And what about the idiom? If C were "As interest rates are rising, so are consumer and producer prices" would be correct, or would be wrong because the proper idiom is "Just as...so".

"Just as X, so Y..."

AND

"Just as X, Y..."

AND

"As X, Y..."

are ALL correct idioms. Your sentence would therefore be correct. I'll be honest that your example feels a little unusual to me, but grammatically it's just fine.

Brett
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
Kudos
B

A is incorrect because because of how the first and second part of the sentence are being compared.

C is incorrect because the first part of the sentence is in the present-tense, while the second half is in the past-tense.

D is the same as C.

E is incorrect because "as" is not being used correctly. Nouns are compared with "like", while clauses are compared with "as".
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Though been is missing in second half of the comparison, I think parallelism is still acceptable in B. I got some examples from other sites :

Since 1970, CO2 levels from fossil fuel use and deforestation have been rising, as have levels of nitrous oxide.
hotel occupancies have been rising, as have room rates
Figures show that home sales have been rising, as have home prices.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Can someone explain what is wrong with (A)?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 510 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
manhasnoname wrote:
Can someone explain what is wrong with (A)?

(A) Similar to rising interest rates, consumer and producer prices have been rising.

read without the "rising" and see the difference.
Similar to interest rates, consumer and producer prices have been rising.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos