Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 16:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Funny things of your application - decision making process

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Funny things of your application - decision making process [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2008, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
Hey today I got my tourist VISA :-D , but it was another USD200 bucks for the Cha-ching thread :(

The good thing is that here in Portugal I could get a VISA in just 1 days whilst in Brazil it would take 90 days :shock:.

A funny thing happened yesterday, to prove that I was going to "USofA" to visit the schools; I took with me the admission letters from GSB and Sloan.

Here goes the script of the situation:

1st American Embassy Staff - a Portuguese frowned face man: "MIT, what a great achievement! Do you really need to travel to USA to decide?"
Kwam:" Yes, it is a tough call, although MIT's brand is more recognized here, Chicago is more recognized for the field I want: finance".
1st American Embassy Staff: "Hum, ok, now give me your passport. Hum, your Portuguese VISA ended..."
Kwam: "Yes, I have a process going on with Portuguese customs, but as Portugal changed the law, my case went to higher levels to be analyzed..."
1st American Embassy Staff: "Ok fill up this last form and we talk latter".

Then Kwam filled up a form attesting that he never trained with nuclear, biological, and any other kind of bombs, and stuff like this, the 1st American Embassy Staff told Kwam to wait that later he should be called.

2nd American Embassy Staff - an American blonde girl "Hi kwam, first of all congratulations of your B-schools acceptances, are you visiting these schools them?
Kwam: Yes, I’m also visiting California and NYC, but I do have already a tough call to make.
2nd American Embassy Staff: Really? I mean MIT is a great institute, but for engineering, when it comes to business Chicago is at the Top.
Kwam grinned and said: you may be right, but still I want to attend the admit weekend of both schools, is also a good excuse to travel a little bit.
2nd American Embassy Staff: You’re right you will enjoy these places, everything looks fine with your process, you may return tomorrow to get your passport.

It was amazing to see how perception changed from people to people in less than 15 meters, I mean they work together.

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Funny things of your application - decision making process [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2008, 13:31
Welcome to the US embassy lottery. I was only chatting yesterday with a friend about the experiences we had there (both for student visas, though she has done several). You really never know what might happen with them at all.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 422 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Funny things of your application - decision making process [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2008, 18:00
Luckily from a pure visit point of view I dont need a visa from Australia. The fun will begin when I apply for the F1. As far a school perceptions are concerned - University of Chicago may as well be University of wup wup land cos in Australia, almost no one's heard of it :( - ditto for Stern.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Funny things of your application - decision making process [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2008, 20:44
bsd_lover wrote:
Luckily from a pure visit point of view I dont need a visa from Australia. The fun will begin when I apply for the F1. As far a school perceptions are concerned - University of Chicago may as well be University of wup wup land cos in Australia, almost no one's heard of it :( - ditto for Stern.

Ditto for everyone i've spoken to in the UK... Why go to USA for an MBA? Kellogg? never heard of them. Northwestern, never heard of that either? Harvard? They do law don't they? etc. etc.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Funny things of your application - decision making process [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2008, 22:21
Engineering grad schools are more known since loads of international students apply and go to the programs...

B schools.. its a different story.. u will be lucky if someone knew there was a Kellogg that did not involve cereals and a cartoon of a tiger.

The first time some of my "non business school friends" heard of Chicago GSB..they thought it was a support group that helped the gay/bisexual community.....dont ask how. .but its coz of the acronym

us visa officers are very finicky.. some like what they do..others treat every person as hostile..
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Funny things of your application - decision making process [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 15:56
Quote:
Hey today I got my tourist VISA , but it was another USD200 bucks for the Cha-ching thread

if you drop in NYC, we should have a beer and celebrate the double-m7-admit :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer :beer
let me know
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: Funny things of your application - decision making process [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 17:59
Oz I am heading out there as well ... lets all catch up !!
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Funny things of your application - decision making process [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 18:02
He-he-he :) The same principle applies to the admissions in some of the schools, doesn't it? Amerika ist wunderbar :lol:
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Funny things of your application - decision making process [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 19:55
bsd_lover wrote:
Oz I am heading out there as well ... lets all catch up !!

sure mate, just keep us updated -so we can plan a NYC meet
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: Funny things of your application - decision making process [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 21:25
I'll be there on the fifth (landing 4th evening) - kwam is already aware of this.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Funny things of your application - decision making process [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2008, 18:15
aviroop wrote:
The first time some of my "non business school friends" heard of Chicago GSB..they thought it was a support group that helped the gay/bisexual community.....dont ask how. .but its coz of the acronym

LOL! Shouldn't that be Chicago "GLB?" :P

Interesting story kwam! Kudos!

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Re: Funny things of your application - decision making process   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2008, 18:15