Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: Q V0
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 73

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread! [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 08:44
Flyte wrote:
thisisatestonlyatest wrote:
bluehorseshoe87 wrote:
I haven't been home since the R2 deadline, but wanted to check if anyone here had received their official letter from Fuqua?

Yes, I got a tie... I wore it to work today... haha its awesome/gaudy. I signed a lease at lasalle heights its right near the lofts at lakeview and trinity commons. Probably less than a mile from school and there is a shuttle.

Love the school, hate the tie ha ha. It is literally impossible for the tie to be worse. Business schools should know we judge them on the quality of swag.

The best swag i got was from cornell by far. A leather padfolio pro 40-50$ retail and pen. tepper i got a nice pen, kenan flagler nothing, duke a sweet/unbelievably gaudy tie, vandy a poster kinda cool. Cornell wins. But ill buy stuff from Duke...
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 41

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread! [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 11:49
[/quote]
The best swag i got was from cornell by far. A leather padfolio pro 40-50$ retail and pen. tepper i got a nice pen, kenan flagler nothing, duke a sweet/unbelievably gaudy tie, vandy a poster kinda cool. Cornell wins. But ill buy stuff from Duke...[/quote]

Owen didn't send you a padfolio? I got a fairly decent one from there, as well as the poster you mentioned. Don't forget Kenan-Flagler sent the video thing that welcomed you to the school 98,000 times. Any of you ladies who were admitted to Fuqua, did they send you a tie as well? Curious to see if there is a female version of the awesomely gaudy gift.

Also, finally heard back that my background check is complete. Relieved that another step is done, looking forward to BDW in less than two weeks.

For those of you checking out apartments, take a look at the Parc at University Tower. My wife and I loved it when we went down to look at various places, and you really seem to get good value compared to some other complexes.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 10

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread! [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 12:41
thisisatestonlyatest wrote:

Yes, I got a tie... I wore it to work today... haha its awesome/gaudy. I signed a lease at lasalle heights its right near the lofts at lakeview and trinity commons. Probably less than a mile from school and there is a shuttle.

Love the school, hate the tie ha ha. It is literally impossible for the tie to be worse. Business schools should know we judge them on the quality of swag.[/quote]

The best swag i got was from cornell by far. A leather padfolio pro 40-50$ retail and pen. tepper i got a nice pen, kenan flagler nothing, duke a sweet/unbelievably gaudy tie, vandy a poster kinda cool. Cornell wins. But ill buy stuff from Duke...[/quote]
Tuck sent an awesome wool hat and high-quality rep scarf. Georgetown was disappointing however...a flash drive ha ha.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 410 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread! [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 03:21
Expert's post
Can someone please post a picture of this tie? I am sooo curious!! :)

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

INSEAD Thread Master
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GPA: 3.73

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 11:15
Is anyone going to the BDW from NYC? Want to share cab/car rental and such?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: CBS '16 (S), Ross '16
GMAT 1: 700 Q V

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread! [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 03:24
I haven't got the admit packet yet. Did anyone in Europe got the mail?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 42

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread! [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2014, 19:42
Flyte wrote:

The best swag i got was from cornell by far. A leather padfolio pro 40-50$ retail and pen. tepper i got a nice pen, kenan flagler nothing, duke a sweet/unbelievably gaudy tie, vandy a poster kinda cool. Cornell wins. But ill buy stuff from Duke...

Tuck sent an awesome wool hat and high-quality rep scarf. Georgetown was disappointing however...a flash drive ha ha.
[/quote]

The best swag I got was from Emory. They gave us a quality suit holder with the Goizueta Business School logo, a nice quality business card holder with our own personalized business cards in it including graduation year and email address. I think it was only if you received a named scholarship however.

Best thing I got from Duke so far was the t-shirt from BDW.
Kellogg sent me a usb charger thing...
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 05:59
ohsballer wrote:
Flyte wrote:

The best swag I got was from Emory. They gave us a quality suit holder with the Goizueta Business School logo, a nice quality business card holder with our own personalized business cards in it including graduation year and email address. I think it was only if you received a named scholarship however.

Best thing I got from Duke so far was the t-shirt from BDW.
Kellogg sent me a usb charger thing...[/quote]

What about that delicious dinner at the reception Saturday night? It was a fun weekend!

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 41

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 06:06
Did anyone go to the Marketing or Media, Sports and Entertainment presentations at BDW on Saturday afternoon? Any impressions? I wanted to go to those but unfortunately had to leave at lunchtime to attend to some pressing business. Also, how was the dinner (other than apparently delicious)/Fuqua Vision/closing party?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread! [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 17:00
Hey all - random housing question! I'm pondering a couple of different places to live and I stumbled on a place called University Apartments. It doesn't look far from campus and seems very inexpensive, but it also doesn't look like many Fuquans live there. Though I think I'll be somewhat career focused, I don't want to miss out on all of the fun and friendships of the MBA experience either. It seems like it might be nice to have a place to "get away", but I hope that doesn't mean I miss out on the opportunity to form some close friendships either.

I'm doing all of my housing search from abroad so if there are any Fuquans here, past or present, please chime in!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread! [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
DeterminedMBA2012 wrote:
Hey all - random housing question! I'm pondering a couple of different places to live and I stumbled on a place called University Apartments. It doesn't look far from campus and seems very inexpensive, but it also doesn't look like many Fuquans live there. Though I think I'll be somewhat career focused, I don't want to miss out on all of the fun and friendships of the MBA experience either. It seems like it might be nice to have a place to "get away", but I hope that doesn't mean I miss out on the opportunity to form some close friendships either.

I'm doing all of my housing search from abroad so if there are any Fuquans here, past or present, please chime in!

It's a trade-off. I had almost signed a lease with Alden Place, before I visited BDW and talked to current students and alums. While, Alden place was around $300 cheaper, monthly, it doesn’t have too many students living there – and the majority who lives there either have families and not very social, so in the end, I decided to go with Station 9. Another thing you should consider, lot of apartment’s complexes have 12 months leases, so you might be paying less monthly, but you will have to either sublet your apartment in summer or pay two rents (one in the city you are doing your internship in). Station 9 has a 9 month lease option which I am doing, so won’t have to pay for summer months.
So essentially, I think I am paying $2700 extra for the additional fun/friendships I will make while living at Station 9. I felt that $2700 is not too bad in the grand scheme of things.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread! [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 23:47
Hey guys, any feedback about Parc at University apartments? thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 41

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread! [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2014, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
viewsonmba wrote:
Hey guys, any feedback about Parc at University apartments? thanks!

My wife and I will be living there. I think you get a great value compared to a lot of the other places (Alden, Garrett West, etc.). The property is very private and offers all of the amenities of the others, plus it is gated. There are running/biking paths nearby, and seemingly tons of pet friendly areas. Also, it is a little bit closer to Fuqua than Alden and Garrett.

We will be living in a two bedroom with a fireplace, which I thought was a pretty nice touch. Bottom line is $1166, which includes pet fee, brand new kitchen/fixtures, cable/internet, trash, and water/sewer.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q V0
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GMAT 3: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread! [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 09:27
hailmary wrote:
DeterminedMBA2012 wrote:

It's a trade-off. I had almost signed a lease with Alden Place, before I visited BDW and talked to current students and alums. While, Alden place was around $300 cheaper, monthly, it doesn’t have too many students living there – and the majority who lives there either have families and not very social, so in the end, I decided to go with Station 9. Another thing you should consider, lot of apartment’s complexes have 12 months leases, so you might be paying less monthly, but you will have to either sublet your apartment in summer or pay two rents (one in the city you are doing your internship in). Station 9 has a 9 month lease option which I am doing, so won’t have to pay for summer months.
So essentially, I think I am paying $2700 extra for the additional fun/friendships I will make while living at Station 9. I felt that $2700 is not too bad in the grand scheme of things.

I've heard most students stay at Station 9 as well. Is anyone at S9 looking for roommates? I was recently admitted, and I called S9, but the receptionist said there is no current availability. Also, how long does it take to get your login details for the Fuqua student website?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread! [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 14:54
hkparikh09 wrote:
hailmary wrote:
DeterminedMBA2012 wrote:

I've heard most students stay at Station 9 as well. Is anyone at S9 looking for roommates? I was recently admitted, and I called S9, but the receptionist said there is no current availability. Also, how long does it take to get your login details for the Fuqua student website?

Add yourself to the Facebook group and ask there.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 14

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 05:12
For those admitted students who are gearing up on stuff from Amazon.com, we are eligible to a free 6 month subscription of their Amazon Student program, which gives us free 2-day shipping and some exclusive offers. It will come in handy for textbooks and stuff for our new homes. If interested, just register your .edu e-mail address to your Amazon account, through the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup ... pe=generic

Best of luck!
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Admitted applicants thread!   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2014, 05:12