Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Law)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 18

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 17:07
This post received
KUDOS
Jokesta wrote:
kple12 wrote:
For those of you who really want to make an impression, definitely sign up for the "Group Greet and Meets" if Duke comes to your city.

I think it varies who hosts the events, but for my city (Chicago), I got lucky and spoke with the Senior Associate Director of Admissions. She pretty much told me bluntly she will see my application and will more than likely review it so I got very lucky and was able to talk to the person who will play a huge role in my application.

Not too many surprises though but I did hear how the admissions process goes. If you apply Early Admissions, they categorize people into 3 groups:

1. DFD - Dying for Duke (Self Explanatory)

2. Those who might have "some" holes in the application and want to play it safe.

3. Those who are well prepared

She also told me if there is a something that you think will be an issues (low GPA, low GMAT, etc.) make sure to disclose it! They try to advocate for everyone but she told me if it's a lot easier to admit someone with a 2.6 GPA who justifies it than someone with a 2.7 who doesn't say anything. The more information the better.

Awesome posts man. I gave you GC kudos but a verbal props are in order or a beer if we meet during interview ;)

Questions regarding the "Group Greet and Meets". Are these special events? How would we sign up for these? and Are they listed on Duke's website?

I signed up for the email listing so I was notified about their "Greet and Meets" through that.

Here's a list of events they are doing around the world as we speak:

http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/events/daytim ... Type=F-MBA

The next "Greet and Meets" are:

Boston*
August 20, 11 am - 1 pm

Atlanta*
August 22, 11 am - 1 pm

*The Chicago, Boston, and Atlanta events are drop-in "Meet & Greet" hours. The remaining events are information sessions.

If are near any of these and Duke is your #1, definitely go to these. The nice thing about mine was that it was a drop in so it was very informal and relaxed and I got to have a one on one conversation with an individual very high up in the admissions process.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.05
WE: Operations (Military & Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 04:06
Anyone else going to the one in Seoul on September 7th?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 26

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 09:42
kple12 wrote:
Jokesta wrote:
kple12 wrote:
For those of you who really want to make an impression, definitely sign up for the "Group Greet and Meets" if Duke comes to your city.

I think it varies who hosts the events, but for my city (Chicago), I got lucky and spoke with the Senior Associate Director of Admissions. She pretty much told me bluntly she will see my application and will more than likely review it so I got very lucky and was able to talk to the person who will play a huge role in my application.

Not too many surprises though but I did hear how the admissions process goes. If you apply Early Admissions, they categorize people into 3 groups:

1. DFD - Dying for Duke (Self Explanatory)

2. Those who might have "some" holes in the application and want to play it safe.

3. Those who are well prepared

She also told me if there is a something that you think will be an issues (low GPA, low GMAT, etc.) make sure to disclose it! They try to advocate for everyone but she told me if it's a lot easier to admit someone with a 2.6 GPA who justifies it than someone with a 2.7 who doesn't say anything. The more information the better.

Awesome posts man. I gave you GC kudos but a verbal props are in order or a beer if we meet during interview ;)

Questions regarding the "Group Greet and Meets". Are these special events? How would we sign up for these? and Are they listed on Duke's website?

I signed up for the email listing so I was notified about their "Greet and Meets" through that.

Here's a list of events they are doing around the world as we speak:

http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/events/daytim ... Type=F-MBA

The next "Greet and Meets" are:

Boston*
August 20, 11 am - 1 pm

Atlanta*
August 22, 11 am - 1 pm

*The Chicago, Boston, and Atlanta events are drop-in "Meet & Greet" hours. The remaining events are information sessions.

If are near any of these and Duke is your #1, definitely go to these. The nice thing about mine was that it was a drop in so it was very informal and relaxed and I got to have a one on one conversation with an individual very high up in the admissions process.

Thanks for the info, kple12. These meet and greet events sound great. I didnt see any coming up in the west coast but I'm glad you had such a meaningful interaction with the adcom.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Law)

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 18

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 10:20
This post received
KUDOS
Jokesta wrote:
Thanks for the info, kple12. These meet and greet events sound great. I didnt see any coming up in the west coast but I'm glad you had such a meaningful interaction with the adcom.

There's one in Palo Alto on August 27th from 6 - 7:30 PM case you're interested.
Manager
Manager

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 10:45
kple12 wrote:
There's one in Palo Alto on August 27th from 6 - 7:30 PM case you're interested.

Ah I see it now.. I was filtering on San Francisco so missed it. Thanks man. registered and will be there. For anyone else interested the details below:

Aug 27, 2013 6:00 PM
The Bar
Four Seasons Hotel Silicon Valley
2050 University Avenue
East Palo Alto, CA

Please join Assistant Director of Admissions Connie Swarts and local alumni to learn more about The Duke MBA.
Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 15:57
Any idea when Fuqua will release Class of 2015 stats including Acceptance rate and Gmat avg? There are 433 students in this year's class, everyone of whom has an amazing story to tell.

Fuqua has been an amazing experience so far, even though classes started about two weeks ago everyone already knows each other so well. People are super friendly and there is no shortage of parties happening on any given day. The Fear of Missing Out has already set in with all the long case readings due before each class.
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 14:13
Expert's post
bond007 wrote:
Any idea when Fuqua will release Class of 2015 stats including Acceptance rate and Gmat avg? There are 433 students in this year's class, everyone of whom has an amazing story to tell.

Fuqua has been an amazing experience so far, even though classes started about two weeks ago everyone already knows each other so well. People are super friendly and there is no shortage of parties happening on any given day. The Fear of Missing Out has already set in with all the long case readings due before each class.

The timing varies, but it'll be a couple more month before the stats get updated. By then, the last thing you are worrying about the stats for class of 2015.

Diversity

Manager
Manager

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 14:31
bond007 wrote:

I know that the updated employment stats for the Class of 2013 will be coming out late September but you can probably gauge the admission stats of your incoming class of 2015 as you interact with them.

Glad to hear that you guys are in full bonding mode. I saw a video of the incoming class during summer orientation working on a Habitat for Humanity project. Looked like fun!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.5
WE: Account Management (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 09:40
SEEKING ADVICE :

So Fuqua is one of the few schools that offer a Student Loan for International students. Honestly, this is one of the key reasons I'm applying to Fuqua and this is what I tell my family and friends as well. BUT is this something I can include in my 'Why Duke' essay? Does this affect my candidature in a negative way? Should I rather be using this space for other areas of my strengths/weaknesses than spend real estate on something that will be viewed negatively?

Coastal Federal Credit Union International Student Loan
Fuqua is proud to offer a student loan program for international students through Coastal Federal Credit Union (Coastal). Coastal is a successful and long-standing financial institution and does not require a co-signer. You are applying directly for a line of credit with Coastal. A credit union is a bit different from a traditional bank in that you must become a "member" and establish a small savings account of $25 to utilize their loan services. Coastal Federal Credit Union offers a very competitive rate of prime plus 5%. With the current prime rate of 3.25%, the rate would be 8.25%. Effective January 1, 2013, all new Coastal Loan borrowers will be charged a 3% origination fee that will be added to the principal borrowing amount.
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 119 [1] , given: 22

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 10:05
This post received
KUDOS
HedgeWi wrote:
SEEKING ADVICE :

So Fuqua is one of the few schools that offer a Student Loan for International students. Honestly, this is one of the key reasons I'm applying to Fuqua and this is what I tell my family and friends as well. BUT is this something I can include in my 'Why Duke' essay? Does this affect my candidature in a negative way? Should I rather be using this space for other areas of my strengths/weaknesses than spend real estate on something that will be viewed negatively?
Hey HedgeWi - as you suspect, it's not the strongest angle to use. You could potentially mention it somewhere in the essay but it should be just a side comment, rather than a key reason. It is a positive that Duke does this; it shows that they are applicant-friendly and welcoming of international candidates. But it's not really a great reason to be choosing them. It could go in there, just needs to be treated carefully (e.g., don't lead with it).

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Manager
Manager

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 10:37
HedgeWi wrote:
SEEKING ADVICE :

So Fuqua is one of the few schools that offer a Student Loan for International students. Honestly, this is one of the key reasons I'm applying to Fuqua and this is what I tell my family and friends as well. BUT is this something I can include in my 'Why Duke' essay? Does this affect my candidature in a negative way? Should I rather be using this space for other areas of my strengths/weaknesses than spend real estate on something that will be viewed negatively?[/i]

Agree with essaysnark. If you talk with the adcom, students or alumni, you will get a strong sense that Duke is huge on a cultural fit and I would concentrate on expressing that in your Why Duke essay. Having said that, the essay is supposed to also indicate points which are important to you - and financial support is a big factor.

Ask yourself the question "If I don't get this loan from Duke, will I still go here?" If the answer is no, that might show through in your essays and interview.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.5
WE: Account Management (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 11:15
Jokesta wrote:
HedgeWi wrote:
SEEKING ADVICE :

So Fuqua is one of the few schools that offer a Student Loan for International students. Honestly, this is one of the key reasons I'm applying to Fuqua and this is what I tell my family and friends as well. BUT is this something I can include in my 'Why Duke' essay? Does this affect my candidature in a negative way? Should I rather be using this space for other areas of my strengths/weaknesses than spend real estate on something that will be viewed negatively?[/i]

Agree with essaysnark. If you talk with the adcom, students or alumni, you will get a strong sense that Duke is huge on a cultural fit and I would concentrate on expressing that in your Why Duke essay. Having said that, the essay is supposed to also indicate points which are important to you - and financial support is a big factor.

Ask yourself the question "If I don't get this loan from Duke, will I still go here?" If the answer is no, that might show through in your essays and interview.

EssaySnark, Jokesta - thanks for your inputs. This one had me really flummoxed since Duke mentioned 'Friends and Family'. Thanks for clearing that up. I will stick to a low-key side mention.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 18:24
HedgeWi wrote:
Jokesta wrote:
HedgeWi wrote:
SEEKING ADVICE :

EssaySnark, Jokesta - thanks for your inputs. This one had me really flummoxed since Duke mentioned 'Friends and Family'. Thanks for clearing that up. I will stick to a low-key side mention.

In my opinion, I would not even bring this up. There are so many things that Fuqua offers (community, classes, professors, clubs, case competitions, I'm being very general here on purpose) that align much more with the team aspect. The co-signer free loan for internationals, although a big logistical reason, is kind of too individual-focused in my view. Mentioning it doesn't show how you can add to your class nor does it explain how it will place you in an environment that you will thrive in.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 06:04
vinnygambini wrote:
In for EA and visiting on September 13th! Got a morning class, tour/lunch, and interview scheduled...should be enough time to let the visit sink in and do some last-minute tweaking to the application before the 18th.

Anyone else going to be around?

Will be there the same day. Do you plan on going to Fuqua Friday? Does anyone else suggest I stay another night for Fuqua Friday? Why or Why not?
VP
VP
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 435

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 07:39
mindstatements wrote:
vinnygambini wrote:
In for EA and visiting on September 13th! Got a morning class, tour/lunch, and interview scheduled...should be enough time to let the visit sink in and do some last-minute tweaking to the application before the 18th.

Anyone else going to be around?

Will be there the same day. Do you plan on going to Fuqua Friday? Does anyone else suggest I stay another night for Fuqua Friday? Why or Why not?

What's stopping you? Are you short on time? If not, I'd recommend you to attend. (I haven't attended it yet, and therefore won't have anything more than obvious, but very relevant & important, points - networking/learning more about the community/social bonding etc.)

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Manager
Manager

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 10:17
mindstatements wrote:

yes, I would highly recommend staying the extra night for Fuqua Friday. After the stress of the entire day, this event allows you to kick back, relax and immerse into the Fuqua crowd in a unfiltered way. There's also Fuqua vision which is a hilarious collection of video skits participated by students, professors and even the Dean.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 09:52
Thanks for the reply guys! Will stay the extra night.
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 04:01
When do interviews start? I am later in the cycle, but I was wondering when we could start hearing some feedback.

My Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/
Most Recent Post: Time to Catch Up Updated: 1/9/14

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.42

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 07:17
Should the resume be in the same format given in the "Downloadable forms" section or we can follow our own format ?
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 22

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 07:31
Spindletree wrote:
Should the resume be in the same format given in the "Downloadable forms" section or we can follow our own format ?
You can follow your own format.

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2013, 07:31