Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: Fuqua (Duke): Full Time MBA 2014 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 11:34
dave785 wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
dave785 wrote:
Does anyone know when it will be officially posted?

Also, is the early action round easier to get into than the normal rounds?

I would say that it is slighty easier to get in, just because of the fact that you are already showing a strong interest in school and have all the 450 spots available. With that said, I doubt that chances are significantly higher. If you are ready by EA and have Duke as your number 1 choice, then you should absolutely go for it.

Will I be able to hear back from other schools (Round 1) before I have to submit the Duke EA deposit? My top 3 choices are Duke, Chicago, and UCLA... although I'm not necessarily sure in that order. Each has pros and cons and each is an amazing school.

An applicant can theoretically wait until the last final day to pay the deposit and hope that one of their other schools has a decision day before then. There is no way to know unless the R1 deadlines and decision dates are announced. However, in the spirit of Duke's EA policy, this is an ethical gray area since the applicant is expected to matriculate if he/she is admitted. Waiting for a positive decision from an alternate school only complicates the process imo. It was much less painless for me to withdraw all open apps as soon as I found out the good news.

The advice of "Only apply to Duke in EA if it is your first choice" rings so true.
Tuck Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 67

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua (Duke): Full Time MBA 2014 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 06:32
Good luck on the 2014 application season! I'm a Rd 2 admit who will start the program in 2+ months - will be happy to answer any question when I can.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.1
WE: Marketing (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 11:54
zz

Last edited by UFmark on 31 Mar 2014, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q V
GPA: 3.77

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 10:29
I want to plan a school visit soon. Can I visit the school during the summer, or should I wait until classes are on session?
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2013, 10:33
arellalu wrote:
I want to plan a school visit soon. Can I visit the school during the summer, or should I wait until classes are on session?

it depends... will you be able to visit more than once in this process?? I feel that visiting while classes are in session will give you a better understanding of what being part of team fuqua is all about... plus, if it's during the open interview season you could get that out of the way too.

If you'll be able to visit more than once, or if the summer if your only opportunity to go, then I'd say go for it.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 May 2013, 12:34
Still deciding if will apply at EA or R1.
As an international applicant (brazilian) and with Fuqua as my first choice, which round should I apply?
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 May 2013, 12:38
aristidestjr wrote:
Still deciding if will apply at EA or R1.
As an international applicant (brazilian) and with Fuqua as my first choice, which round should I apply?

If it is your first choice, apply EA.

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 07:28
Expert's post
highwyre237 wrote:
arellalu wrote:

it depends... will you be able to visit more than once in this process?? I feel that visiting while classes are in session will give you a better understanding of what being part of team fuqua is all about... plus, if it's during the open interview season you could get that out of the way too.

If you'll be able to visit more than once, or if the summer if your only opportunity to go, then I'd say go for it.

I agree with highwyre237. Unless you only want to see the Duke/Fuqua campus and buildings, visiting during the summer doesn't add much value. I would recommend visiting on a Friday and on/after October (if time allows). Friday, so you can experience Fuqua Friday and talk with more students. October, so that things are settling a bit for the FYs. Your tour guide will likely be a FY. S/he will be acclimating to the new experience prior, same with the classroom experience. The FYs are still warming up to case classroom discussions, and to each other.

Diversity

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 10:20
I agree with asimov that visiting in October allows you to capture a more accurate picture of all that Team Fuqua can offer. Keep in mind that EA applicants must self initiate the interview and that will happen before October. Visiting in September however was still a fantastic experience so you can't go wrong visiting during any of those two time periods.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q V
GPA: 3.77

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 20:22
Thank you all for the good advice. Ideally i'd like to visit campus before the application deadline, so I can asses my fit and have a solid background on the school to write the essays. So my window would be between the first week of September (academic session begins) and late October (application due).

This seems definitely doable, but if what if I'm also considering another 3 schools. Should I only visit one school? any other ideas about how to get a good feel about different schools besides the school visits?

Thank you,

asimov wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
arellalu wrote:

I agree with highwyre237. Unless you only want to see the Duke/Fuqua campus and buildings, visiting during the summer doesn't add much value. I would recommend visiting on a Friday and on/after October (if time allows). Friday, so you can experience Fuqua Friday and talk with more students. October, so that things are settling a bit for the FYs. Your tour guide will likely be a FY. S/he will be acclimating to the new experience prior, same with the classroom experience. The FYs are still warming up to case classroom discussions, and to each other.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V38
GRE 1: 310 Q158 V152
GRE 2: 315 Q160 V155
GPA: 3.2
WE: Analyst (Accounting)

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 14:36
I'm looking at possibly reapplying next year since I only have WL's at this point...

As a reapplicant, I need to decide between EA and R1...

What do you guys suggest I do? I REALLY liked Duke and interviewed on campus last Fall in September (did a class visit, lunch, tour and interview in one day).
Expert Post
VP
VP
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 244

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 14:57
Expert's post
ProfessorX wrote:
I'm looking at possibly reapplying next year since I only have WL's at this point...

As a reapplicant, I need to decide between EA and R1...

What do you guys suggest I do? I REALLY liked Duke and interviewed on campus last Fall in September (did a class visit, lunch, tour and interview in one day).

Remember that EA at Duke is binding, so only apply EA if you would choose Duke over any other school you're applying to. Personally, I feel like reapplicants should apply EA or R1 at any/all schools you're reapplying to so you show adcom that you're really committed to their school.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 12:29
Expert's post
jontron wrote:
I agree with asimov that visiting in October allows you to capture a more accurate picture of all that Team Fuqua can offer. Keep in mind that EA applicants must self initiate the interview and that will happen before October. Visiting in September however was still a fantastic experience so you can't go wrong visiting during any of those two time periods.
Did we change the policy? I thought we still send out invite for EA.
If you are applying EA, then it would be beneficial to visit early, since the application is due so early. If you visit afterward, it probably won't affect your application.

Diversity

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 321 [1] , given: 19

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 12:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Since there are lots of questions on EA or R1, here's a simple decision diagram.

The scholarship decision is controversial. Although there has been EA folks who got scholarships. I would say, at minimum, your bargaining power on scholarship is reduced by applying EA.
Attachments

EA-Decision-Flow.PNG
EA-Decision-Flow.PNG [ 28.86 KiB | Viewed 5443 times ]

Diversity

Current Student

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 13:32
asimov wrote:
Since there are lots of questions on EA or R1, here's a simple decision diagram.

The scholarship decision is controversial. Although there has been EA folks who got scholarships. I would say, at minimum, your bargaining power on scholarship is reduced by applying EA.

The official word from adcom is that applying in EA doesn't weigh on your scholarship considerations... but... I agree with you. The question is, does the increased likelihood of getting in during EA outweigh the potential for a scholarship
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 13:53
Expert's post
highwyre237 wrote:
asimov wrote:

The official word from adcom is that applying in EA doesn't weigh on your scholarship considerations... but... I agree with you. The question is, does the increased likelihood of getting in during EA outweigh the potential for a scholarship

I’m not even sure if you get a boost in admission chances compared to R1. At EA, the AdCom has no idea what the applicants next year will look like. If they used last year’s applicant pool as a proxy, you only get better odds, if this year is more competitive than last year. That doesn’t seem to be the trend right now. Another reason is that I’ve seen/known quite a few EA WLs getting admitted in later rounds in the last couple of years. This may be an indication that AdCom is using past applicant stats to approximate incoming applicants. Since there is a downward trend in stats with the economic recovery, EA WL admits are occurring more frequently. I’ve followed GC since 2008 application year, I don’t recall people getting off EA WL, 2008 & 2009.

Diversity

Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q V

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 14:52
I see the benefit of EA from the adcom side (boost yield) but from an applicant side you get slighty better admissions odds (we assume) at the expense of scholarship opportunities (there is an inherent adcom conflict of interest) and school choice (my perspective on schools really changed after I was admitted).
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q42 V41
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.55

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 15:31
Hi all. I am interested in applying to fuqua but am in somewhat of a conundrum. My longtime girlfriend will be accompanying me to b-school, but she is apprehensive about moving to a "college town" vs a big city. Her happiness is very important to me, so its a huge factor for me. She is a teacher and thinks finding a job and having a quality social life is much harder at a place like fuqua vs new York or dc or any other city. Can any current students comment on this? Has anyone"s partner particularly enjoyed their time in Durham? Thanks in advance for everyone's input!

candayam wrote:
I see the benefit of EA from the adcom side (boost yield) but from an applicant side you get slighty better admissions odds (we assume) at the expense of scholarship opportunities (there is an inherent adcom conflict of interest) and school choice (my perspective on schools really changed after I was admitted).
Current Student

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 16:06
jpd5044 wrote:
Hi all. I am interested in applying to fuqua but am in somewhat of a conundrum. My longtime girlfriend will be accompanying me to b-school, but she is apprehensive about moving to a "college town" vs a big city. Her happiness is very important to me, so its a huge factor for me. She is a teacher and thinks finding a job and having a quality social life is much harder at a place like fuqua vs new York or dc or any other city. Can any current students comment on this? Has anyone"s partner particularly enjoyed their time in Durham? Thanks in advance for everyone's input!

candayam wrote:

I can tell you this, out of all of the schools I was looking at, Fuqua's partner's club was the most impressive. My wife was actually excited to move from a city to NC... Will if be more difficult to find work, of course, but the Fuqua partners will do everything they can to help. Lets, compare Stern to Fuqua....

Stern - easier to find work, will have her own life and her own friends, will not be a big part of the stern community

Fuqua - will find it harder to find work, will be more involved in Fuqua, and the community.

So... is she coming to also be part of the b-school experience, or is she coming more to experience a new place? From a partners perspective, I can see why she'd rather be in a city... considering how busy you'll be, but at fuqua she'll end up building relationships as strong as they ones you'll be building. Plus, there's their motto, "All the fuqua fun without the homework."

When you visit, bring her, and have her meet the partners club... If she doesn't changed her tune from that, then I doubt Duke is the place for her.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q V

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 17:22
[quote="jpd5044"]Hi all. I am interested in applying to fuqua but am in somewhat of a conundrum. My longtime girlfriend will be accompanying me to b-school, but she is apprehensive about moving to a "college town" vs a big city. Her happiness is very important to me, so its a huge factor for me. She is a teacher and thinks finding a job and having a quality social life is much harder at a place like fuqua vs new York or dc or any other city. Can any current students comment on this? Has anyone"s partner particularly enjoyed their time in Durham? Thanks in advance for everyone's input!

I can't really speak for Fuqua but I did go to Duke. Overall, I think Durham surprises people. I wouldnt consider it a 'college town' like Chapel Hill, but I wouldnt define it as a major hub either. I thought it was a nice balance. Socially, I think you'll both have a good time. The Duke community at large was very welcoming and from what I hear community is a focus at Fuqua.

In terms of the job market for your partner, I'd expect wages to be a little bit less, but the cost of living is pretty low especially if you are considering places such New York. You might want to reach out to the partners club to see if they have any type of program to help partners secure positions prior to bschool
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 23 May 2013, 17:22