Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 14:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Law)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 18

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 08:56
Phew my interviews this Saturday too... Gonna have coffee with the admissions director on Friday too... Ugh hopefully all this pays off, my UCLA application is getting awfully lonely haha...
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 27

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 08:57
I'm interviewing Friday too! Let's do this!
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 08:59
kple12 wrote:
Phew my interviews this Saturday too... Gonna have coffee with the admissions director on Friday too... Ugh hopefully all this pays off, my UCLA application is getting awfully lonely haha...

nice. how did you manage to have a coffee set up with admissions director?

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Law)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 18

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 09:28
hailmary wrote:
kple12 wrote:

nice. how did you manage to have a coffee set up with admissions director?

The director held an event in Chicago last month and we had a great conversation so I sent her a thank you email later that night. She invited me for coffee if I was ever back in Durham so I reconnected with her earlier this week and she said she would be more than happy to meet me on Friday. Nervous as hell about both....
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 22

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 07:33
Duke Admissions made some changes to their app instructions on the website regarding the process of securing an additional recommendation from a student or alum:

Quote:
Current Student & Alumni Recommendations

In addition to the two required recommendations, you may receive an extra recommendation from a current student or alumnus/alumna. There are separate forms for these recommendations and if submitted on your behalf before you submit your application, you will be eligible for an application fee reduction. Access the alumni recommendation form online. Current students must provide their recommendation through FuquaWorld. Please allow at least three days for processing.

The instructions about students submitting through FuquaWorld are new.

We've always been impressed with Duke's policy of reducing the app fee when getting a rec from a member of the Fuqua community. Talk about putting their money where their mouth is re: value of community!

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 13:45
anyone going to Fuqua Friday tomorrow?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 26

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 15:45
Yes, I'll be there. Maybe we can meet up, get some other GCers together as well?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q V
GPA: 3.77

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 19:16
bond007 wrote:
anyone going to Fuqua Friday tomorrow?

Count me in! I'm in Durham already and can't wait for tomorrow
Current Student
Awesome Level: 10++

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 26

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 19:20
Feel free to hit me up tomorrow. Ill be participating in the Stop Hunger Now Volunteer event during FF.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 5

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 20:07
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview last Saturday with Jaclyn. Absolutely amazing person and I'm sure anyone that has an opportunity to meet her during this open-interview period will be astounded by how engaged and charismatic she is. Plus she's a Cowboys fan! Good luck to all.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 07:02
Has anyone ever been to a "Fuqua Faculty on the Move" session? What are they like?
Current Student

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 14:30
Ward2012 wrote:
Has anyone ever been to a "Fuqua Faculty on the Move" session? What are they like?

Yes, I have been to one in the west coast. It was with a professor in entrepreneurship (good topic for silicon valley).basically a mock class which was awesome. After class the prospectives were able to talk to the professor about their business ideas. Also, the director of admissions was there so i was able get some one-on-one time with her and talk through my goals etc. as well.

Current Student

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 14:54
On a flight back to SF, so thought this might be a good time to share my interview experience.

I stayed at the Hampton inn and suites, ($110/night) which is the newest hotel in durham and quite affordable. Rented a car ($55 total for 3days), which I think is necessary to get around in a spread out town.

Arrived at Duke around 9:30am, the assistant director of admissions was in the lobby and recognized me from the information sessions i had been to, so we talked for a few minutes before i joined the many applicants from Boston, DC,NY, Texas and international locations. I think I was the only one from west.

Met a lot of first year students and re-connected with some second years i knew from my last visit. Good times all around. Learnt lots of new things about Duke and listened to some amazing stories and backgrounds.

My interviewer was a second year with a background in pharma and consulting and we connected well over our conservation.

Interview questions we went over:

Walk me through your resume

Seems like you have some great experience,why do you want to do an MBA?

Some question specific to me and my goals and background.

Why Duke?

How do you handle feedback from your manager?

Conflict in a team example

Conflict as a manager example

Failiure as a manager example

What is your leadership style?

Some more questions specific to me

How will you Contribute to Duke?

Any questions for me?

I enjoyed the conversation and relaxed atmosphere.

After the interview was Fuqua Friday where the students were packing lunches to fight hunger so it was good to see team Fuqua at work to help the community.

I met up with some second years I knew from before, tried the pumpkin Porter which was awesome and ate some good food at Fuqua Friday.

This is what comes to mind, but if you have any specific questions then please post and ill try to answer.

1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 200 [1] , given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 17:43
This post received
KUDOS
I recently interviewed at Fuqua as well - I had a great experience, and really sunk myself into "Team Fuqua". I'll be doing a full debrief on my blog soon, but for now, I wanted to say thank you to the great students I met down there - rgupta83, threestripes, and several others!

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Research (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 02:19
Got a mail from Duke mentioning that I had until the 12 noon ET on Oct 7 to back out from EA agreement. I am sure all of us who submitted apps in the early round got this mail. But, basically this mail tells me that no interview invites are going out before then.

The wait is killing me and finding it hard to concentrate on other applications. Any one else in the same boat?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 21:15
ashgoel wrote:
Got a mail from Duke mentioning that I had until the 12 noon ET on Oct 7 to back out from EA agreement. I am sure all of us who submitted apps in the early round got this mail. But, basically this mail tells me that no interview invites are going out before then.

The wait is killing me and finding it hard to concentrate on other applications. Any one else in the same boat?

I'm with you :-)
And it seems like a logical conclusion, so we just have to wait a bit more. The tension is really killing me!

Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke '15 (WL)
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.46
WE: Accounting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 07:01
ashgoel wrote:

Fuqua has an open interview period. An invitation is not required in order to visit Fuqua and interview on-site. I would HIGHLY suggest that you do this sooner rather than later. It gives the Admissions Committee one more datapoint to consider in your application. If you do well in the interview, maybe it will help your chances. Why wait for an invitation???
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 07:31
fuquaORbust1 wrote:
ashgoel wrote:

Fuqua has an open interview period. An invitation is not required in order to visit Fuqua and interview on-site. I would HIGHLY suggest that you do this sooner rather than later. It gives the Admissions Committee one more datapoint to consider in your application. If you do well in the interview, maybe it will help your chances. Why wait for an invitation???

My guess is they are internationals and can't justify the cost/time to fly to Durham for a day or two.

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Research (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 09:46
hamm0 wrote:
[My guess is they are internationals and can't justify the cost/time to fly to Durham for a day or two.

That's so right Hamm. I wish they had open interview round over Skype as well.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Yale '16 (M)

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 45

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 19:10
hamm0 wrote:
My guess is they are internationals and can't justify the cost/time to fly to Durham for a day or two.

Yes, I'm an international applicant, so I'm still waiting for my interview invite anxiously.

Does anyone remember if Fuqua sent that reminder email last year about EA being binding? Because from that email, it sounds like they've received more EA applicants than expected, so they had to nudge people to move to R1.
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2013, 19:10