Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Jokesta wrote:
prodizy wrote:
Yes you should take a hard look at your essays, career goals and talk to the recommenders. However, I don't agree with the 'fit' thing. No one can tell you that you are not a fit at any of the schools. I believe there is no specific category that only these people will fit at top bschools. In fact, it should be quite the opposite. Diversity is the key, right. So I would suggest taking a look at your essays. May be you have not highlighted the team work in your essays, may be you need to check the tone of the essays. I am not sure. But I am sure you will figure it out :) Or may be your application is too strong or they felt you applied to them as a safety school. Who knows? :) All the best!

Best,
Prodizy

I think it really depends on the school you are applying to. Duke, more than other, is HUGE on the fit of the student to their program and anyone who has been on campus or has interviewed can tell you that. They have several distinct characteristics which attract a certain type of applicant. If they think that you will not mesh well with their philosophy then there is no reason for them to invite/accept you to their program. In other schools, the fit is not as important as the hard metrics like GMAT, GPA etc.

Hey Jokesta,

I think you misinterpreted my statement. May be I should have put it better. I said no school can tell you that you are not fit at ANY of the schools. What I meant to say was that a school reject doesn't indicate you are not fit at any of the schools. I had to say this because neosumit was doubting his fit for the next set of applications.

I visited and interviewed at Fuqua and it's just awesome. I clearly understand how much fit matters at Fuqua. I spent close to a week in Durham to explore the area. I must say I am hooked :)

Best,
Prodizy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
prodizy wrote:
Hey Jokesta,

I think you misinterpreted my statement. May be I should have put it better. I said no school can tell you that you are not fit at ANY of the schools. What I meant to say was that a school reject doesn't indicate you are not fit at any of the schools. I had to say this because neosumit was doubting his fit for the next set of applications.

I visited and interviewed at Fuqua and it's just awesome. I clearly understand how much fit matters at Fuqua. I spent close to a week in Durham to explore the area. I must say I am hooked :)

Best,
Prodizy

That's good to hear, prodizy. I am hooked as well! waiting for that Early Action Deadline to come with an acceptance.

To applicants who were not invited for interview or plan to submit your application, I resonate Hailmary's comment on reaching out to people who have gone through the application process already. Chances are many of them already have made many mistakes (me included) and can help you avoid these mistakes in your application. We all want acceptance to the top schools and are competing with each other for the limited spots but I am sure many of us also feel good helping other applicants out as well.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Jokesta wrote:
prodizy wrote:
Hey Jokesta,

Best,
Prodizy

That's good to hear, prodizy. I am hooked as well! waiting for that Early Action Deadline to come with an acceptance.

To applicants who were not invited for interview or plan to submit your application, I resonate Hailmary's comment on reaching out to people who have gone through the application process already. Chances are many of them already have made many mistakes (me included) and can help you avoid these mistakes in your application. We all want acceptance to the top schools and are competing with each other for the limited spots but I am sure many of us also feel good helping other applicants out as well.

I couldn't have put it better. How I wish Fuqua was not my first app. Did many mistakes. If only, I could go back and do it all over again :) I hope I will learn from my mistakes and do better in the next set of lucky apps :)

And guys, please feel free to reach out. I cannot tell you how to get into Fuqua. But I can tell you what not to do!

Best,
Prodizy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
With reference to your previous posts, Jokesta, Hailmary & Prodizy

request you guyz to put up the mistakes that you committed in your application(s).

I'm gonna apply in R1, and hope to learn from them. It'll be helpful to all future applicants.

thanx!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
kunzi wrote:

request you guyz to put up the mistakes that you committed in your application(s).

I'm gonna apply in R1, and hope to learn from them. It'll be helpful to all future applicants.

thanx!

Mistakes to avoid:

1. I overlooked the importance of recommendations. I was travelling in the US at that time and couldn't communicate my application theme to my supervisor. I think this is a big mistake and I have corrected this in my second app.
2. Double check your application before hand. Fill the application long before the deadline. Let someone else see your full app before submitting. Make sure all dates and figures entered are correct. If you fill it in the last minute, more often than not, you end up doing mistakes.
3. DO NOT edit your essays in the last minute.
4. Read the application instructions before hand to make sure there are no last minute surprises in the app. There could be short essays in the app about international exposure, how will I contribute etc.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Prodizy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Thanx Prodizy for coming up and sharing all these.. kudos for your spirit

prodizy wrote:
kunzi wrote:

thanx!

Mistakes to avoid:

1. I overlooked the importance of recommendations. I was travelling in the US at that time and couldn't communicate my application theme to my supervisor. I think this is a big mistake and I have corrected this in my second app.
2. Double check your application before hand. Fill the application long before the deadline. Let someone else see your full app before submitting. Make sure all dates and figures entered are correct. If you fill it in the last minute, more often than not, you end up doing mistakes.
3. DO NOT edit your essays in the last minute.
4. Read the application instructions before hand to make sure there are no last minute surprises in the app. There could be short essays in the app about international exposure, how will I contribute etc.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Prodizy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
My interview is on Saturday morning. I tried to schedule it at the last minute and everything was booked for the open interviews by the 15th. Sent one of staff an email and she squeezed me in :D I'm only a 3 hour drive away.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Fuqua posted the prelim employment report for class of 2013/2014. MBB hired 28 interns combined this year - pretty impressive. Banking recruiting looks pretty decent too.

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/documents/mba ... _Final.pdf
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.25
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Any one from India , specifically New Delhi, got their interview scheduled ?

Originally posted by abcgroove on 12 Oct 2013, 21:45.
Last edited by abcgroove on 12 Oct 2013, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
londone wrote:
My interview is on Saturday morning. I tried to schedule it at the last minute and everything was booked for the open interviews by the 15th. Sent one of staff an email and she squeezed me in :D I'm only a 3 hour drive away.

How was the interview? Hope you enjoyed the experience.

Best,
Prodizy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey everyone, current Fuqua student here. More than happy to answer questions people might have on the app/essay/admissions process as the application deadline dates start to come and go. I can't believe I was in your shoes a year ago.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
hailmary wrote:
Fuqua posted the prelim employment report for class of 2013/2014. MBB hired 28 interns combined this year - pretty impressive. Banking recruiting looks pretty decent too.

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/documents/mba ... _Final.pdf

Despite the link name, it redirects you to the preliminary report :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.05
WE:Operations (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I had my interview in Seoul on Sunday with an alum and it was VERY casual. Almost more like an informative session than an interview. He said he had an advance copy of my resume so going over that was not too intensive. There is no trick, no magic responses. If you can talk about why you want an MBA at this point in your career/life, why you want to go to Fuqua, and what you hope to do with your MBA after school than you are fine. And if you can't answer those questions? How the hell did you get this far in the process to begin with?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Hi there, could anyone share the % of Fuqua MBA class taking up sales trading/ broker post MBA (institutional broker roles). Is it very tough to get a sales trading job placement for international students who require h1b sponsorship.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Guys,

I needed answers to some of these questions:

Firstly, Under the Education section, there is a requirement stating:
"Please list grades for all college level quantitative courses you have taken in the following subjects: The list consists of Calculus, Statistics, Finance, Accounting and Economics

(Be certain to provide transcripts in the section above for all courses referenced here.)"

Do I need to fill in this section if I have an undergraduate degree and have submitted my transcripts. I wasn't sure if this applies to applicants with or without a Bachelors Degree. If it does apply to applicants with a Bachelors degree, How should I report the grade? Since I'm a Finance and Accounting major, I have had to take several courses in Finance, Accounting and Economics and there's only a limited amount of information I can enter in the text box provided.

Secondly, I just wanted to confirm that I would need to enter my company name twice if I have switched departments, and twice if I have received a promotion.

Lastly, what kind of awards and recognition qualify to be put in here? The company I work for gave me a certificate for helping them their volunteer initiatives and i have some trophies I won at some speech club.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Send PM
Another 10 days to go before we hear the decisions! For those who interviewed, have you received any feedback or online update after the interview or is it just a wait and watch until 30th October :roll: :?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
IN for round 1.

That concludes my round 1 applications. I need a beer, haha.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  82   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts