Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 09:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Law)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 18

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 03:39
hailmary wrote:
EA admits: Did you guys share Duke's name when emailing other schools to withdraw your application? Not sure what the optimal method of withdrawing is.

I think it's really up to you at the end of the day. I shared with Anderson that I was accepted into Fuqua because they invited me for an interview so I felt I should tell them since they were interested in me. I would say if a school has taken the time to invest in you as an applicant (invite for an interview, lots of communication with an adcom, etc.), it would be courteous to tell the school why you are withdrawing your application.

At the end of the day though, most schools don't really care since they have thousands of applicants to sort through :wink:
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 450

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 19:35
Hi everyone,

I think most of you have seen GmatClub's webinar series threadand are attending these events. It's definitely a great opportunity to ask questions to an expert, learn more about the school and pick their thoughts on how to approach the essays/interviews. If you have any specific questions that you want to ask during the webinar, please don't hesitate to PM me or any of the threadmasters and we can pass these questions on to the experts.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Thank you!

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 22:26
has any 1st round (not EA) applicant received an interview invitation so far?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 4

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
cloudy218 wrote:

Hello there,I think the interview invites would come on Nov, 20th. I think fuqua sends all the invites in a single wave. However, this is based on my recollection from two years back.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 18:35
cognizant2001 wrote:
cloudy218 wrote:

Hello there,I think the interview invites would come on Nov, 20th. I think fuqua sends all the invites in a single wave. However, this is based on my recollection from two years back.

Posted from my mobile device

thanks. it comforts me... :)
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [3] , given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
Just sent my withdrawal letters to the rest of the business schools that I applied to.
I must say, it was harder than I though. I'm extremely passionate about Duke, but I put a lot of time, effort and money into those applications, and having them "thrown away" is a bit disappointing.

Well, 2014 is approaching and its gonna be a DUKE year!!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Just sent my withdrawal letters to the rest of the business schools that I applied to.
I must say, it was harder than I though. I'm extremely passionate about Duke, but I put a lot of time, effort and money into those applications, and having them "thrown away" is a bit disappointing.

I hear you. I am doing one by one and trying to make my withdrawal letters personal. Must say that regardless of how daunting the process was, I am missing all the anxiety and the uncertainty that comes with it.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 26

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2013, 15:18
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:

I'm with you buddy! Duke all the way from here on out! BTW nice avatar man.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 442 [1] , given: 450

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 04:48
This post received
KUDOS
Waitlisted applicant's thread

That's the link to this year's waitlist thread. Feel free to discuss any strategies and updates to your application.

Admitted Applicant's thread

And this one is for all the post-acceptance discussions.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.37
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 12:07
Hey all

I got rejected in ED... however i received an e-mail from the associate admissions director for the MMS program. I wonder how many of the people who got rejected in ED got this email?

it reads this:

"Your application to Fuqua was brought to my attention by the admissions committee because your profile resembles the profile of admitted students to the Fuqua MMS program. If you have not already solidified your graduate school decision, I would love to speak with you about The Duke Master of Management Studies (MMS) program as a viable option for you."

What do you guys think about this? I am open to the idea of considering the MMS program. But right now my primary concern is, what does this e-mail signify? Does this mean i stand a good chance of landing an admissions in the MMS program? or is it something like what hult does? (no offense to hult... and i will be stunned if duke does the same...)

I would love to hear from you guys on this.

thanks.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 12:33
skammust wrote:
Hey all

I got rejected in ED... however i received an e-mail from the associate admissions director for the MMS program. I wonder how many of the people who got rejected in ED got this email?

it reads this:

"Your application to Fuqua was brought to my attention by the admissions committee because your profile resembles the profile of admitted students to the Fuqua MMS program. If you have not already solidified your graduate school decision, I would love to speak with you about The Duke Master of Management Studies (MMS) program as a viable option for you."

What do you guys think about this? I am open to the idea of considering the MMS program. But right now my primary concern is, what does this e-mail signify? Does this mean i stand a good chance of landing an admissions in the MMS program? or is it something like what hult does? (no offense to hult... and i will be stunned if duke does the same...)

I would love to hear from you guys on this.

thanks.

Do you have less than 2 years of work experience? It sound like you are a fairly young candidate with minimal business background, and they want to strongly consider you for the MMS program which is mostly geared towards applicants with non-business backgrounds or international students who wants a US education.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 26

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 14:19
Hey skammust,

I'm not familiar with what Hult does but I believe the MMS program helps provide similar foundations just for a younger candidate. I think you need to first understand what your long term goals are and decide if the MMS program is for you or whether you are better served with a full-time 1Y or 2Y MBA program. Below is an excerpt from a Duke guide which might help:

The MMS is best suited for someone coming out of college who realizes that they want to go in a different direction
than what they studied for their bachelor’s degree, and feels that they need specific business skills to make the
switch. The MMS is also ideal for motivated young entrepreneurs who are ready to launch a business, or for PhD
candidates wanting to transition into the business world instead of staying in academia. A top-ranked MBA program
might accept a candidate who already holds an MMS degree from Fuqua, however that candidate would need to
explain why the additional education is required, since he or she already would have undertaken a significant part
of the standard MBA curriculum with the Duke MMS degree. Early-career candidates who plan on obtaining an MBA
in the future might want to build their careers for a few years, and then apply for admission to a standard two-year
MBA program.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 15:42
Hi,

Have any of the east coast EA admits received their acceptance packet or know when it will arrive? Has anyone received any information on merit based scholarship (which I understand is only in the acceptance packet unless I am mistaken)? I apologize for spamming, I am a little excited to know if I got any scholarship :)

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 550 Q27 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 15:50
bhavik12345 wrote:
Hi,

Have any of the east coast EA admits received their acceptance packet or know when it will arrive? Has anyone received any information on merit based scholarship (which I understand is only in the acceptance packet unless I am mistaken)? I apologize for spamming, I am a little excited to know if I got any scholarship :)

Thanks.

Hey bud, I got mine yesterday, so I'd imagine yours will be coming real soon. Good luck with the scholarship!

Congrats to all, and I can't wait to meet everybody!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 4

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 18:21
Anybody got Interview invite for R1 (10/21 deadline).
I attended information session with faculty and ad com after I submitted an application.

For R1, interview invites will be sent by 11/20. Just 13 more days to go. I am little anxious now.
I am in US and if invited I have to go for on-campus interview between 2-10 Dec. If I get an invite then I won't be left with too many days in between to plan for my travel.
Let's see. Hoping for the best.

Any idea, how they decide on the interview invites?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 02:45
bhavik12345 wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone received any information on merit based scholarship (which I understand is only in the acceptance packet unless I am mistaken)? I apologize for spamming, I am a little excited to know if I got any scholarship :)

Thanks.

It is mentioned in the acceptance letter (PDF) on the SISS website that if you have received a scholarship, its details would be included in the next page or something like that. So unless there's a mistake of some sort, the answer is there.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 37

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 10:32
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:

Hi,

First up, congratulation for getting an admit from Fuqua! I will be applying to Fuqua in the 6th Jan deadline. I see that you have a pretty impressive lists of schools that you are interested in; however, you decided to join Fuqua. Can you please share the reason for your decision. I am just curious to know about the school.

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 10:42
This post received
KUDOS
AdiRedDevil wrote:
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:

Hi,

First up, congratulation for getting an admit from Fuqua! I will be applying to Fuqua in the 6th Jan deadline. I see that you have a pretty impressive lists of schools that you are interested in; however, you decided to join Fuqua. Can you please share the reason for your decision. I am just curious to know about the school.

Thanks!

I will not comment about other schools, but regarding Duke, I was really impressed with the people, the community feeling and the emphasis on teamwork and mutual success. Many schools say that they have these features, but only a few got me convinced. Apart from that, my career interests align well with Fuqua's offerings.

Frankly, most top schools will get you to where you want. The difference between one school and the other is how YOU feel connected to the people and the spirit of the school.
Fuqua really captured me on all of these!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 37

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 13:03
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
AdiRedDevil wrote:
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

I will not comment about other schools, but regarding Duke, I was really impressed with the people, the community feeling and the emphasis on teamwork and mutual success. Many schools say that they have these features, but only a few got me convinced. Apart from that, my career interests align well with Fuqua's offerings.

Frankly, most top schools will get you to where you want. The difference between one school and the other is how YOU feel connected to the people and the spirit of the school.
Fuqua really captured me on all of these!

Thanks mate for sharing your reasons. I too do feel the same when I interact with the current students.

Congratulations once again!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 4

Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 18:15
Interview invite deadline for R1 is 20-Nov, 9 more days.

Anyone got invite so far? Any idea what to expect?
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2013, 18:15