Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fuqua Interview

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Fuqua Interview [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2007, 16:13
Hi Guys,

I have a fuqua interview next week. I remember seeing a list of interview questions in one of the forums and can't get to it now. Can someone please point me to that resource or any other links in connection with interviews.

Thanks in advance.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2007, 17:13
check out http://www.clearadmit.com/wiki/index.ph ... aInterview

This should have all info you are looking for...good luck

I believe its yogurt!

SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2007, 17:25
I tell you a little about my experience. I would note that it is probably different that many others - I had an alumni interview on the west coast while everyone not out west interviews on campus.

I would say that my interview with Fuqua was pretty neutral, plain, vanilla. The interviewer was a recent alum and had a list of questions (supplied by the school I presume) and took extensive notes throughout the interview. The problem is that this prevented her from becoming at all engaged in the interview. At some points, I had doubts as to whether she was paying attention, or just taking notes of my responses.

For my part, I think I did OK. I was prepared for the many teamwork type questions that Fuqua likes to ask, and I had some good stories about why I was interested in going there. You should also try to emphasize your interest (genuine or otherwise) in becoming part of team Fuqua - that's really big with them.

Overall, I think my interview had zero effect on the final outcome. Given the interview setup with a recent alum that was not an experienced interviewer, plain vanilla conversation and extensive note-taking that prevented the interviewer from getting engaged, lack of influence of the interviewer in the final decision, and a stale set of repetitive questions that the school wanted filled in, I don't think there was really any hope that the interview could have much effect - positive or negative. It was destined to be blah.

If you are interviewing on campus, if at all possible, try to interview with an Adcom. I don't know if you have any control over this though. For the actual canned set of questions you'll be asked, take a look at the clearadmit website.

Oh, I wanted to add, despite my message above I didn't have a bad interview with them; it was just a very sterile conversation that couldn't possibly have much bearing on the final outcome, and I was admitted because/in spite of the it.
Manager
Manager

Fuqua interview [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 14:39
Thanks guys. I am actually interviewing on campus. So hopefully I get to speak to adcom. This is very helpful. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 16:56
Resume walk

Why MBA

Why Fuqua

Career goals

Teamwork experiences

Leadership experiences

Leadership Style

What leadership skill do you want to develop/improve at Fuqua

Clubs/Activities you will get involved in

(when I rattled off about 5 clubs, including some esoteric ones, she got excited and seemed much more interested in the interview, and the rest of the interview was a breeze - thank goodness, I had read the list of clubs in the lounge area while waiting for the interview!)

Something at work, or book you've read, that challenged your perspective and way you view the world

(Ive spent the last six years practicing law with a special expertise in asylum, refugee, and deportation defense, and relief under VAWA. She was kinda going through a checklist of questions. As soon as she finished asking this question, she looked up and said, this question is probably too easy for you. You must have a lot. I was just glad she asked the question. I did have a lot to say for that one, and could say it with great sincerity.)

Those were the basic questions. I'm sure I left out a bunch, but those were the biggies and a couple suprises for me. It went about an hour.

PS I didn't get the what do you do with an under-performing teammate Q, but I hear it is very common at Fuqua.

PPS Get a good night sleep. I live near enough to Duke that I worked a half day, drove in (90 minutes), and had a four pm interview. I also only managed 2 hours sleep the night before (nerves). I was exhausted by the time of the interview, and I really thought I blew it. At least, I know I could have been more concise but in my exhaustion, I just rambled through the first half feeling unfocused. I was depressed for a long time afterward. But, all's well that ends well. I got in.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 17:01
I interviewed at Fuqua earlier this year, and I think all interviews are done by students. Questions are pretty standard; why Fuqua, why mba, why now, etc. They asked examples of teamwork and leadership, so have a story ready for those.

I was surprised by two questions. First, what is my weakness as a leader and what will I do in business school to address it. Second, the interviewer asked how I would build a pro basketball team if able to choose any player. That was a fun question to think about and answer.

You'll enjoy the trip there. Make time to hit Chapel Hill, it's worth the trip and a great option for where to live. My wife and I would have lived there if Fuqua worked out.
  [#permalink] 04 Apr 2007, 17:01