Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fuqua or Columbia for Marketing?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Columbia or Duke?

• 73% [31]
  • 26% [11]
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Fuqua or Columbia for Marketing? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 19:03
Hi all,

So I haven't seen this one out there yet so I figured I'd give it a shot to see what some others think. I realize these two schools are quite different. I'm looking to get into Brand Management for consumer products (preferably food). I realize Duke is more known for marketing, but I eventually want to end up in either NY, CT, or NJ. In terms of fit, I felt a real connection with Duke, not so much so with Columbia. But at the same time, I am from NYC and my entire family/significant other are here, so that does give some points to Columbia. Given Columbia's proximity to my family and reputation, I'm leaning towards Columbia. But I'm concerned that my opportunities to get into marketing will be greater at Duke. I've looked at the employment reports and it seems to me that Duke sends more people to marketing/CPG, but at the same time, most of the new york area companies have hired columbia grads.

Does anybody have any thoughts? Although fit is important to me, I think I could be happy at both schools, though I think for my personal life it would be a lot easier to go to Columbia. I'm really most concerned about which school will be best for my career in terms of getting into marketing/brand management.

Would appreciate any help! I only have 2.5 weeks to decide!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [1] , given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua or Columbia for Marketing? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 19:19
This post received
KUDOS
My hunch is that all the top firms actively recruit at Columbia, so I doubt you'd be hurting your career chances if you chose to go there. Is there a marketing club you can reach out to?
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [2] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua or Columbia for Marketing? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 19:39
This post received
KUDOS
Dakells wrote:
Hi all,

So I haven't seen this one out there yet so I figured I'd give it a shot to see what some others think. I realize these two schools are quite different. I'm looking to get into Brand Management for consumer products (preferably food). I realize Duke is more known for marketing, but I eventually want to end up in either NY, CT, or NJ. In terms of fit, I felt a real connection with Duke, not so much so with Columbia. But at the same time, I am from NYC and my entire family/significant other are here, so that does give some points to Columbia. Given Columbia's proximity to my family and reputation, I'm leaning towards Columbia. But I'm concerned that my opportunities to get into marketing will be greater at Duke. I've looked at the employment reports and it seems to me that Duke sends more people to marketing/CPG, but at the same time, most of the new york area companies have hired columbia grads.

Does anybody have any thoughts? Although fit is important to me, I think I could be happy at both schools, though I think for my personal life it would be a lot easier to go to Columbia. I'm really most concerned about which school will be best for my career in terms of getting into marketing/brand management.

Would appreciate any help! I only have 2.5 weeks to decide!

1) Don't read too far into specialty rankings. Yes, Duke is ranked #3 in US News' specialty rankings for marketing, but what does that really mean? In my mind, when it comes to marketing, it's Kellogg and everyone else.

2) You'll need to decide what's more important: School fit or your personal life, because I think that's what it boils down to. You might be the first person on this forum who's ever wondered if Duke should be picked over CBS for better career opportunities.

As someone who's interested in brand management and wants to end up in NYC, I'll say you should have no problem making contact with companies like Unilever, Colgate-Palmolive, Pepsi Co, Reckitt-Bensicker, etc. Companies like American Express hire brand managers too.

Congrats on the admits - you'll be fine wherever you land career-wise. Do what'll make you happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [1] , given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua or Columbia for Marketing? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 20:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Columbia does have a marketing association that probably has some current students you can reach out to to talk about recruiting.

Here's a brief list of placements from the MCA site:
http://www0.gsb.columbia.edu/students/o ... tions.html

As others have said, you'll be in a great place regardless of where you attend -- good luck with your choice and thank you for posting this thread. I'll be in a similar situation soon and am also interested to hear others' opinions about this :)

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Re: Fuqua or Columbia for Marketing? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 06:21
Thanks for the opinions guys, appreciate your thoughts! Yes, I've reached out to the marketing club and will be speaking with someone who's recruiting for brand management shortly. I think that will definitely be helpful. It's hard to really get a sense just from reading the employment reports since they only list which companies have hired, not which recruit. So hopefully some one in the marketing club or career management center can help. Unfortunately, I can't go to Columbia's admitted students weekend so that's a bummer as that would really let me get a much better feel for the school.

Aerien, I've been wondering how you're going to decide, looking forward to your post!

Will post when I decide, who knows maybe in the future someone will have a similar dilemma.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [1] , given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Fuqua or Columbia for Marketing? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 08:46
This post received
KUDOS
You'll be able to get into marketing in NY either way (Fuqua has NYC/tristate treks) The question is, be close to family, and continue your same life only replacing work with school, or take a break from real life for a few years, and focus mostly on your MBA. Only you can answer that.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 57 [2] , given: 42

Re: Fuqua or Columbia for Marketing? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 08:23
This post received
KUDOS
Figured I would post here what I ended up choosing in case anyone ever comes across this in the future!

Decided to go with Columbia. I think I would have had great opportunities at both schools and been able to do well at both. I'm sad not to go to Duke, I really get a great vibe from the school. But at the end of the day I want to end up in NYC so having Columbia's huge network and strong reputation in the area I think will be good for me. In addition, I like the possibility of being able to do a part time internship during the school year which could potentially help me get a job down the road. It also is just much easier for my personal life. So while I am sad not to go to Duke, I felt like I would have regretted not going to Columbia. No regrets!
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua or Columbia for Marketing? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 08:29
Dakells wrote:
Figured I would post here what I ended up choosing in case anyone ever comes across this in the future!

Decided to go with Columbia. I think I would have had great opportunities at both schools and been able to do well at both. I'm sad not to go to Duke, I really get a great vibe from the school. But at the end of the day I want to end up in NYC so having Columbia's huge network and strong reputation in the area I think will be good for me. In addition, I like the possibility of being able to do a part time internship during the school year which could potentially help me get a job down the road. It also is just much easier for my personal life. So while I am sad not to go to Duke, I felt like I would have regretted not going to Columbia. No regrets!

Congrats on the decision!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Fuqua or Columbia for Marketing? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 08:31
Dakells wrote:

Congrats, and good luck at Columbia! You really couldn't go wrong. Hopefully I'll run into you in the future(looking for Brand Management in the Northeast too).
VP
VP
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 455

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Fuqua or Columbia for Marketing? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 08:32
Dakells wrote:

great to hear. The decision makes complete sense to me. :)

have an awesome time at school !
Expert Post
VP
VP
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 414 [0], given: 245

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua or Columbia for Marketing? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 08:36
Expert's post
Congratulations!! I hope you have a great time at CBS :) Like Highwyre, I'll probably run into you at some point given our career goals and location!

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Re: Fuqua or Columbia for Marketing? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 19:14
Thanks guys appreciate all the help and well wishes! Definitely hope to run into you all, would be quite comical to make the gmatclub connection years down the road. Everytime I go to an school function I try to subtly drop the "oh so do any of you do the online forum things, like gmatclub?" I am always met w confused faces and "no" responses. Ha!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 27

Reviews Badge
Re: Fuqua or Columbia for Marketing? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 14:29
I think you made the right choice. Columbia does host the BRITE conference which sounds like an awesome marketing event and I see a wide range of employers that would hire brand managers on their employment report (Unilever, AMEX, L'Oreal, Kraft, etc).

I am also a marketing guy and Columbia/Kellogg are my top choices right now. Hopefully I'm lucky enough to have to make that decision!
Re: Fuqua or Columbia for Marketing?   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2013, 14:29