Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fuqua or Haas for Impact Investing?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GRE 1: 323 Q161 V162
GPA: 3.61
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Fuqua or Haas for Impact Investing? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 09:57
Hi everyone I have recently been accepted into both Haas and Fuqua. I am interested in a career in Impact Investing. My previous experience is mainly in Emerging Markets Fixed Income Trading and Research for two leading investment banks in NYC. I am trying to decide which program is better for impact investing. Seems Fuqua's CASE Center is really on top of the field but maybe its easier to get employed in the field through Haas given its in San Francisco and the prevalence of Venture Capital in Impact Investing.

Any suggestions? Having a tough decision making my mind up. Visited Fuqua already and I liked it and will be visiting Haas soon as well.
MBA Blogger
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Fuqua or Haas for Impact Investing? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 15:33
Wait until you visit Haas and then decide. Suspect choice will depend on what campus you prefer. Good luck.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua or Haas for Impact Investing? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 01:31
luci2386 wrote:
Hi everyone I have recently been accepted into both Haas and Fuqua. I am interested in a career in Impact Investing. My previous experience is mainly in Emerging Markets Fixed Income Trading and Research for two leading investment banks in NYC. I am trying to decide which program is better for impact investing. Seems Fuqua's CASE Center is really on top of the field but maybe its easier to get employed in the field through Haas given its in San Francisco and the prevalence of Venture Capital in Impact Investing.

Any suggestions? Having a tough decision making my mind up. Visited Fuqua already and I liked it and will be visiting Haas soon as well.

I too have a very similar goal to yours and I hope I will have the opportunity to face the same decision you are currently facing

But back onto your topic. Based on all my research, I suspect Hass may be a bit stronger, however, I personally lean more towards Fuqua because I am applying to the MEM/MBA program and want to be involved in environmental impact investing
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua or Haas for Impact Investing? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2014, 21:02
I stumbled upon this thread and it seems I'm a bit late to help the original person who posted, but hopefully this will help people in the future.

I'm a current 2nd year student at Fuqua and a co-chair of the CASE Initiative for Impact Investing (i3). Fuqua's i3 program is a great way to involve students in the impact investing movement, since you can participate in research teams and consulting projects with actual organizations facing issues within impact investing. My project last year was a feasibility study to implement social impact bonds in South Africa, and other projects included sustainable investing in South America and a move to incorporate impact investing into university endowments. As a 2nd year, you can select and lead your own consulting project team. It's one thing to have classes on social entrepreneurship and impact investing (which Fuqua does), but it's another thing to also have more experiential learning opportunities specifically focused on impact investing.

At Fuqua, we also have connections to key experts and leaders in the industry, including Cathy Clark and the late Greg Dees. Because Fuqua is known for impact investing, job opportunities are abundant. There is even someone in career services dedicated to social impact careers, and there are employers that seek out Fuqua because of the impact investing program.

Basically, you can't go wrong with Fuqua. :wink:
Re: Fuqua or Haas for Impact Investing?   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2014, 21:02