Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 08:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fuqua, Ross, LBS vs Stern for Management Consulting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Stern vs Ross vs Fuqua vs LBS

• 9% [26]
  • 27% [77]
  • 38% [105]
  • 24% [68]
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fuqua, Ross, LBS vs Stern for Management Consulting [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 08:30
Hmm the article was to show an upward trend in hiring, the numbers were already clear on how many go to each school but Duke shows a promising trend.

Europe MBB often sponsors employees to go to business school with the intention to come back, for Insead they have 55+ McKinsey offers but 50-60% of them are going back to McKinsey as sponsored students, the same case for BCG and Bain.

LBS is in a similar situation with 40+% of the students returning to employers while only 1-3 of the students getting into MBB from Ross or Duke are returning to a previous employer. But the point about more students targeting finance at LBS is true so chances would be slightly better but as an American facing new U.K visa restrictions for work as well as the uncertainty with transfering back to the U.S makes this a harder decision.

IMO if the goal is to consult in the U.S and you strike out with MBB there are great options with near elite and botique consulting firms from either Duke or Ross with similiar pay structures and rigor of work just my 2 cents.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 2

Re: Fuqua, Ross, LBS vs Stern for Management Consulting [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 10:03
LBS is not a good choice if you want to work in the US. Also, it is not true that getting into MBB is easier from schools where not many people go into consulting - companies adjust their hiring numbers based on the quality of candidates applying and if no one passes the bar, no one gets hired. It is quite possible to get into NE offices from Ross or Duke and it won't be much easier from Yale or Stern, if at all. It won't be easy because offices in NYC are pretty competitive for everyone. Also, bear in mind that all these MBB figures inlcude people that went back to work in their home countries, i.e. offices in Brazil, China, Russia, etc. so they are not representative of your personal chances.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fuqua, Ross, LBS vs Stern for Management Consulting [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 11:07
The most represented industry at LBS is Consulting with 36% and 55% of those were already from consulting. Finance had 33% going into it with 60% of those were already from finance. So it seems that competition for consulting gigs is just as high for Consulting as it is for finance and is not as easy as you make it seem at LBS.

And for Duke and Ross numbers, there are students from these schools who post on managementconsulted forums with interview results, offer figures and details on how many students were past employeers from MBB.

If his goal is the work and live in the U.S why go to LBS? Why settle for a limited U.S network? Makes no sense since a big value add from an MBA is the networking opportunities, especially after a few years after MBB when he transitions to Industry he has the MBB and U.S BSchool network to utilize.

Anyways we can agree to disagree on this because I am more risk adverse and this is what I would do in the same situation. To each his own.

Also he has $$ from Duke and no $$ from LBS, coupled with the MUCH higher cost of living in London vs. NC or Michigan.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fuqua, Ross, LBS vs Stern for Management Consulting [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 11:57
batman28 wrote:
And there is no such data on Duke's or Ross' placements in consulting to compare to. So this argument doesn't hold. Another interesting point that you seem to be confused about is that 36% is against the total # of students, while 55% is against population with consulting jobs. So LBS made a point that the split was more even this year but this could mean many other random things such as 1) people with consulting exp were more interested in other stuff and people with finance exp were more interested in other stuff 2) people with consulting exp wanted to go back to consulting more this year than last year etc.. .

The reason I mentioned this was not to compare to Ross and Duke. I was pointing out that Consulting was JUST AS COMPETITIVE as finance for LBS. Thats all I was saying. And the data shows it. So the point about competitiveness is moot.

Page #7 on LBS 2011 Employment report
http://www.slideshare.net/londonbusines ... ent-report

Under Career Transition table.
Career Decisions. TO FINANCE FROM FINANEC 61%
TO CONSULTING FROM CONSULTING 55%

This is the TOTAL CLASS

Ok thats 1 figure out..

Now under Employer Sector for TOTAL CLASS
36% Consulting
33% Finance

You can take these 2 data values and show that for the TOTAL CLASS of which 36% went to consulting.. 55% of THOSE 36% were FROM CONSULTING.

The same analysis I did for Finance which, TOTAL CLASS had 33% go to Finance. 61% of THOSE 33% were FROM FINANCE.

Hence, yes I can deduct that competition wise, cosulting was just as competitive as finance as someone not from the industry.

batman28 wrote:
This also in a way suggests quality of students in said schools. $ from Duke but no $ from LBS could mean (but may not also mean) better quality of students in LBS. Plus, the cost of living was not a point of consideration. The question is getting an MBB job out of bschool and which school can do it better. Yeah, sure, the cost of living is cheaper in NC or MI.

Just to be clear,

I didn't apply (although was very close to applying) to LBS or Duke or Ross. So my opinion is more neutral.

Plus, the general public's perception is that LBS is one of the best schools in Europe while Duke or Ross is at best No. 10 school. So there is the nice incentive to enroll at LBS.

What are you saying? These are in no ways quality indicators. European schools are famous for not giving money. Harvard and Stanford students have a ton more scholarship offers even when adjusted for class size than LBS does, does that "suggest quality of students" at Harvard and Stanford are lower? No.. it just means US B schools have more endowments and are more generous with scholarship money. This argument is a no go.

At the end of the Day LBS brand is good for Europe and Asia, it does not translate as a stronger brandin the U.S when compared to Duke and Ross. Since the goal is to return to the U.S the value of LBS in Europe is a moot point.

And cost of living and amount of debt to go to school should definately be part of the equation, just my opinion.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

Re: Fuqua, Ross, LBS vs Stern for Management Consulting [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 12:01
batman28 wrote:
Plus, the general public's perception is that LBS is one of the best schools in Europe while Duke or Ross is at best No. 10 school. So there is the nice incentive to enroll at LBS.

Even without the gross over-generalization of "at best No. 10 school", this statement is extremely subjective. Who is to say a "one of the best" in Europe (btw, does that imply top 3? 5? 10?) > Top 10 in the US? Making decisions based on rankings is silly.
Manager
Manager

Re: Fuqua, Ross, LBS vs Stern for Management Consulting [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 12:27
batman28 wrote:
thugly921 wrote:
batman28 wrote:

Even without the gross over-generalization of "at best No. 10 school", this statement is extremely subjective. Who is to say a "one of the best" in Europe (btw, does that imply top 3? 5? 10?) > Top 10 in the US? Making decisions based on rankings is silly.

First off, there is no subjectivity or gross over-generalization there. It's the truth.

LBS is indeed one of the best bschools in Europe. Again the truth.

Making decisions based on rankings is silly in some ways but nobody disregards rankings. Rankings in fact help people narrow down their choices. It also serves as a starter. Is that why you applied to the schools you applied to?

Define "truth." BW had both schools well inside the Top 10 in 2011 with Duke being higher than Kellogg, yet USNW did not.

OP is not in "starter" mode, so your point re: rankings is moot. I'll tell you that for certain CBS is at the bottom of my list. Also, your implication that an internal transfer from intl to domestic MBB offices is easy is horribly misguided and I hope OP realizes this. You are basically reapplying for your job when applying for internal transfer, and are competing against current MBA students for those spots all over again.
Manager
Manager

Re: Fuqua, Ross, LBS vs Stern for Management Consulting [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 12:54
batman28 wrote:
thugly921 wrote:
efine "truth." BW had both schools well inside the Top 10 in 2011 with Duke being higher than Kellogg, yet USNW did not.

You believe in the ranking where Duke ranks higher than Kellogg? OK. I don't see any point in arguing with you further.

OK, you are clearly immature and early in your process. Best of luck to you, I hope you soon understand how much the person goes into the output of business school, rather than the name of the school. Enjoy your MBA journey, and I sincerely hope our paths never cross.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua, Ross, LBS vs Stern for Management Consulting [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 13:51
Thanks everyone for their opinion. I appreciate everyone giving me honest opinions- it is greatly appreciated.

I understand the LBS prestige opinion. I also understand the Stern/Yale geographic advantage. Now here is a question- what if I just want to have the best shot at MBB in the midwest or northeast ...then I think its fair to say that Ross/Fuqua are equals right? I think my wife will be more open to living in the midwest or south than Europe (mostly because of extended family issues that are complicated...bottom line--my marriage will be a lot easier if she does not have to move to Europe)

Also- for $$ information (I do have self funding to attend these schools at sticker price btw, however, less money on school means more money for family....)

Yale- less than half tuition
Stern- full tuition
Ross full tuition
Fuqua half tuition
LBS- no $$ (I do not think that it speaks to the higher quality of students, but lack of money the school gives out..but Idk,)
Cornell-No $$ (I like to think it is bc my essays kinda sucked but not sure...maybe the quality of Cornell applicants was extraordinarily high this year...who knows, I cannot understand fellowship decision process)
Manager
Manager

Re: Fuqua, Ross, LBS vs Stern for Management Consulting [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 14:32
batman28 wrote:
From a pure statistical standpoint, LBS is better than Duke or Ross in placing their grads to MBB. Now with LBS, Duke or Ross not specifying how many were returning, I am citing purely their employment reports. This also in a way speaks volumes about the quality of candidates in said schools.

LBS is therefore a better choice for MBB, statistically speaking. Since OP wants to work in the US, specifically in northeastern states, an idea of transferring from Europe, more specifically London, to northeastern US, came about.

sniperssk wrote:
Also, it is not true that getting into MBB is easier from schools where not many people go into consulting

Given the competition and the program's reputation (LBS, Stern and Yale known for finance better than consulting vs the opposite for Duke or Ross), if we treat the # of MBB hires as a constant value for each school for the sake of analysis, it is easier from LBS, Stern and Yale, than Ross or Duke.

The aggregate stats reflect the characteristics of the applicant pool as a whole and are irrelevant when gauging the individual chances of an applicant. I they won't hire him from Ross or Duke, they won't hire him from LBS or whichever school. If he wants to work in the US, it's best for him to attend a school in the US because his alumni network will be there and networking with MBB recruiters from the US offices will be much easier.
Manager
Manager

Re: Fuqua, Ross, LBS vs Stern for Management Consulting [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 15:45
Yankee121 wrote:
Thanks everyone for their opinion. I appreciate everyone giving me honest opinions- it is greatly appreciated.

I understand the LBS prestige opinion. I also understand the Stern/Yale geographic advantage. Now here is a question- what if I just want to have the best shot at MBB in the midwest or northeast ...then I think its fair to say that Ross/Fuqua are equals right? I think my wife will be more open to living in the midwest or south than Europe (mostly because of extended family issues that are complicated...bottom line--my marriage will be a lot easier if she does not have to move to Europe)

Also- for $$ information (I do have self funding to attend these schools at sticker price btw, however, less money on school means more money for family....)

Yale- less than half tuition
Stern- full tuition
Ross full tuition
Fuqua half tuition
LBS- no $$ (I do not think that it speaks to the higher quality of students, but lack of money the school gives out..but Idk,)
Cornell-No $$ (I like to think it is bc my essays kinda sucked but not sure...maybe the quality of Cornell applicants was extraordinarily high this year...who knows, I cannot understand fellowship decision process)

Choose between Stern and Ross. Ross will be cheaper overall considering COL and will give you the best shot at the midwest, but it's not like other regions wouldn't be doable from any of these. Duke will not give you a substantially better chance in your chosen regions if you pay an additional 50k in tuition to go there over Ross/Stern.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Fuqua, Ross, LBS vs Stern for Management Consulting [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 20:27
It's interesting seeing a few things now that I'm slightly beyond the curtain of Oz.

At Ross, we received an invitation to connect with Bain, and in the online application there is a dropdown to select your business school. Stern, Yale, and Johnson are not in the box. Those who are in the box: HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Booth, MIT, Kellogg, Columbia, Tuck, Ross, Darden, Fuqua, and the following non-US schools: INSEAD, LBS, IESE.

I guess 'Other' is technically an option on the page, but I found this interesting anyway!

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Fuqua, Ross, LBS vs Stern for Management Consulting [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 12:47
MC is completely 100% up to you at this point now that you are in at various B schools. These firms will come to your campus specifically to recruit you and your peers and they will tend to be alumni from your school, whatever school you end up going to. So it won't matter a damn bit what school you choose in terms of going into MC.

Also, whoever said "Stern is a finance and banking school" MC is/can be extremely finance heavy, and a lot of MC models are based on Damodaran's own work (Stern professor). But LOL that its not a heavily recruited MC school.

Stern consulting employment report for last year's class:

Consulting (sample)

A.T. Kearney
Accenture*
Bain & Company*
Booz & Company*
Boston Consulting Group*
Capgemini
Deloitte*
Kurt Salmon
IBM Consulting*
McKinsey & Company*
PricewaterhouseCoopers*
ZS Associates

The * denotes companies that hired 3 or more in 2011.
Re: Fuqua, Ross, LBS vs Stern for Management Consulting   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2012, 12:47