Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
[#permalink]
Tip of the iceberg phenomenon. Fair to say that more than half of all b-school students cheat in some way or another, just they have been lucky enough not to be caught. This article made headlines simply because it was focused a name brand school. Most readers would care less if a tier two school like BU was accused of a similiar scandal.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's kind of why I said earlier that I feel sorry for the people that were caught. If this was simply a case of bad luck & bad timing, where they were caught for doing something that goes on everywhere all the time, then they are paying a really heavy price for it - perhaps millions of dollars worth of damage to each individual.

On the other hand, follow-up articles have clearly pointed out that the judicial committee carefully reviewed a series of events, and that their conclusion was definitive. If these students knowingly cheated, then they should be punished accordingly. To me, knowingly cheating in this type of environment is trying to prosper at the expense of fellow classmates - gaining an advantage through cheating means it's more difficult for all those that don't cheat. This type of cheating and profiting at the expense of people that know you and trust you is the most despicable kind.

We don't know the full details. If it was simply bad luck, I feel really bad for them. If it went beyond the acceptable give & take of normal class life (as it seems that it did), then they should be punished and others should heed the example.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3