Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fuqua vs $$ Jones

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Fuqua vs $$ Jones [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 17:43
Hi,

I wanted to get your opinion on choosing Fuqua vs Jones (Rice). The latter offered me a scholarship of $50k while Fuqua did not provide any assistance. Just going by rankings alone Fuqua is the correct choice, but I feel a bit hesitant in letting so much money go away, which is why I wanted to get your opinion on this matter.

I am an international candidate, and my preference would be to obtain a job in investment banking/sales and trading in any of the big bulge bracket firms. I don't particularly care about location, as long as I can get a job and stay in the USA after graduation. My work experience consists of 3 years in consulting at a corporate banking firm and 2 years in investment banking.

Given this information what do you guys think? My opportunity cost is to let go of $50k plus get significant debt at a considerable interest rate.

Thanks.

Last edited by djg5032 on 15 Mar 2014, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

Re: Fuqua vs $$ Jones [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 17:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
A great question -- but one that is also fundamentally unanswerable by anyone on here! :-)

What do the career stats suggest per school? What does your gut tell you? You have lofty goals -- are they worth $80K over 15 years (assuming 7% interest, 15 year payoff.)

Disclosure -- I went to Fuqua.

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [1] , given: 54

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Fuqua vs $$ Jones [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 20:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Duke is easy choice if you want to do investment banking. Fuqua has strong investment banking recruiting, Rice has little to no recruiting in that area.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 328 [1] , given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Fuqua vs $$ Jones [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 06:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Taking on such a large debt is always difficult. However, please consider the post-MBA average salary gap -- Fuqua's $112K, Jones' $101K, along with the cost of living differences.

An additional hurdle you will have to jump is that you don't have investment banking experience, but want to get into that industry. It will be possible to make that switch at Fuqua, but it will be extremely difficult to do so from Jones.

Diversity

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [1] , given: 54

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Fuqua vs $$ Jones [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 06:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
asimov wrote:
Taking on such a large debt is always difficult. However, please consider the post-MBA average salary gap -- Fuqua's $112K, Jones' $101K, along with the cost of living differences.

An additional hurdle you will have to jump is that you don't have investment banking experience, but want to get into that industry. It will be possible to make that switch at Fuqua, but it will be extremely difficult to do so from Jones.

Just to further Asimov's point, on top of difference in starting salaries, also consider differences in salary progression. "Jones" caliber schools often leave you with jobs that basically get you cost-of-living raises for most of your career, Duke caliber schools get you jobs where you can realistically expect 10%+ salary increases.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 10

Re: Fuqua vs $$ Jones [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2014, 04:22
djg5032 wrote:
Hi,

I wanted to get your opinion on choosing Fuqua vs Jones (Rice). The latter offered me a scholarship of $50k while Fuqua did not provide any assistance. Just going by rankings alone Fuqua is the correct choice, but I feel a bit hesitant in letting so much money go away, which is why I wanted to get your opinion on this matter.

I am an international candidate, and my preference would be to obtain a job in investment banking/sales and trading in any of the big bulge bracket firms. I don't particularly care about location, as long as I can get a job and stay in the USA after graduation. My work experience consists of 3 years in consulting at a corporate banking firm and 2 years in investment banking.

Given this information what do you guys think? My opportunity cost is to let go of $50k plus get significant debt at a considerable interest rate.

Thanks.

Fuqua, by a country-mile. Fuqua places into IBD quite well, whereas Rice not so much and certainly not in NYC without prior experience if at all.
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 24

Re: Fuqua vs $$ Jones [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2014, 07:48
mgh234 wrote:
asimov wrote:

Just to further Asimov's point, on top of difference in starting salaries, also consider differences in salary progression. "Jones" caliber schools often leave you with jobs that basically get you cost-of-living raises for most of your career, Duke caliber schools get you jobs where you can realistically expect 10%+ salary increases.

I agree that Fuqua is on another level compared to Rice, but I do think that Rice graduates do better than cost of living increases for the rest of their careers especially given the schools ties to the energy sector
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

Re: Fuqua vs $$ Jones [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2014, 17:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Wanted to bring this thread back up again -- have you made any choices? Would love to know what you decided.
Best,
-Brian

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Current Student

Re: Fuqua vs $$ Jones [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 19:30
brianlange77 wrote:
Wanted to bring this thread back up again -- have you made any choices? Would love to know what you decided.
Best,
-Brian

I decided to enroll at Fuqua. It was a tough decision as I also got a considerable amount of scholarship money for IU - Kelley. But my decision boiled down to talking to current students, alumni, professors and career resources staff.

Basically, the odds of getting an investment banking job, even for an international student are quite high at Fuqua, and not many students go for this industry as compared to consulting. Also, pretty much all the bulge bracket firms go on campus to recruit, while at Jones or Kelley, that just does not happen and would put me at a tremendous disadvantage.

My two concerns going forward: when talking with current students on the investment banking path, professionals in the industry and career staff, I have to decide whether I want to retake the GMAT. My latest score was 670, and that will immediately eliminate me from JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs. I get mixed advice on whether I should retake the exam, as some people recommend that I focus on getting a really good GPA, while others suggest I retake it.

My second concern is in regards to getting scholarships. I am currently applying to a couple of scholarships, and it feels like I am applying to schools all over again. I have been stressed out since March last year on this whole process, so I have got some crucial decisions to make, not to spread myself too thin before I start my MBA at Duke.

I wanted to thank you all for your posts as I truly valued what you had to say and certainly influenced my decision.

Last edited by djg5032 on 04 Apr 2014, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Fuqua vs $$ Jones [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 06:03
djg5032 wrote:
brianlange77 wrote:
Best,
-Brian

I decided to enroll at Fuqua. It was a tough decision as I also got a considerable amount of scholarship money for IU - Kelley. But my decision boiled down to talking to current students, alumni, professors and career resources staff.

Basically, the odds of getting an investment banking job, even for an international student are quite high at Fuqua, and not many students go for this industry as compared to consulting. Also, pretty much all the bulge bracket firms go on campus to recruit, while at Jones or Kelley, that just does not happen and would put at a tremendous disadvantage.

My two concerns going forward: when talking with current students on the investment banking path, professionals in the industry and career staff, I have to decide whether I want to retake the GMAT. My latest score was 670, and that will immediately eliminate me from JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs. I get mixed advice on whether I should retake the exam, as some people recommend that I focus on getting a really good GPA, while others suggest I retake it.

My second concern is in regards to getting scholarships. I am currently applying to a couple of scholarships, and it feels like I am applying to schools all over again. I have been stressed out since March last year on this whole process, so I have got some crucial decisions to make, not to spread myself too thin before I start my MBA at Duke.

I wanted to thank you all for your posts as I truly valued what you had to say and certainly influenced my decision.

Hey - congrats on the admit. Even I've heard that I-banks require 700 plus GMAT score (crazy, isnt it????) - - makes me wonder if solving a few geometry questions speaks of someone's analytical abilities! But, that's the way it is. My advice is that you should prepare for the GMAT and re-take the exam before the school starts :)

By the way, where are you presently located?
Current Student

Re: Fuqua vs $$ Jones [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 06:26
pharmaguy wrote:
djg5032 wrote:
brianlange77 wrote:
Best,
-Brian

Basically, the odds of getting an investment banking job, even for an international student are quite high at Fuqua, and not many students go for this industry as compared to consulting. Also, pretty much all the bulge bracket firms go on campus to recruit, while at Jones or Kelley, that just does not happen and would put at a tremendous disadvantage.

Hey - congrats on the admit. Even I've heard that I-banks require 700 plus GMAT score (crazy, isnt it????) - - makes me wonder if solving a few geometry questions speaks of someone's analytical abilities! But, that's the way it is. My advice is that you should prepare for the GMAT and re-take the exam before the school starts :)

By the way, where are you presently located?

Thanks for your comments. I am located in El Salvador.
Re: Fuqua vs $$ Jones   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2014, 06:26