Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Further Quant Strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Further Quant Strategy [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 05:57
I have scored 660 on GMATprep with 47q 35v.

I am not yet confident with math as I feel that I lack some knowledge of probability and combinatorics though I have done Mgmat Word Translation twice.

Shall I start doing GMATclub tests or is it better to completely revise official guide and quant review so that I know every question in and out?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 374 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Further Quant Strategy [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 07:43
viktorbutorin wrote:

I am not yet confident with math as I feel that I lack some knowledge of probability and combinatorics though I have done Mgmat Word Translation twice.

Shall I start doing GMATclub tests or is it better to completely revise official guide and quant review so that I know every question in and out?

Both of those sections are advanced math questions on the GMAT and some people report never seeing a combinatorics problem on the GMAT.

If you lack concept understanding, I would work through some content before crashing through problem sets.

Walker posted a guide on combinatrorics and probability:
math-combinatorics-87345.html
math-probability-87244.html

There are also a number of brutal problem sets in the math forum (look for Bunuel threads with questions).

You need 1 point in math and 3 points in verbal to get to the 80+ percentile in both sections. You're very close.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Further Quant Strategy [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 10:35
mohater wrote:
viktorbutorin wrote:

Both of those sections are advanced math questions on the GMAT and some people report never seeing a combinatorics problem on the GMAT.

If you lack concept understanding, I would work through some content before crashing through problem sets.

Walker posted a guide on combinatrorics and probability:
math-combinatorics-87345.html
math-probability-87244.html

There are also a number of brutal problem sets in the math forum (look for Bunuel threads with questions).

You need 1 point in math and 3 points in verbal to get to the 80+ percentile in both sections. You're very close.

Mohater, thank you for the exhaustive answer. The guides you proposed are really great at glance, I shall certainly study them. The inspiration is great too!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Further Quant Strategy [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 03:03
iagree
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Further Quant Strategy [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 11:12
Well, Whiplash proposed a method of study which I feel is the best way to improve upon a specific topic. The system is as follows:
1. Familiarity -
The aim here is conceptual clarity. Learn all the formula and theory involved in a particular topic.

2. Strategy -
Once you're familiar with the concepts, you can start solving problems from various sources to apply the concepts learned in the previous step. The aim here is to improve the accuracy by understanding each and every step that leads to the answer and by finding novel approaches to solve similar types of problems more efficiently. Speed can wait.

3. Practice -
In this stage, the main aim is to work on timing. See if you're able to solve problems under two minutes.

4. Test -
Check if you've reached the stage of proficiency you desired.

I hope this helps...

NOTE:
I gave my GMAT yesterday and I had just one question from Permutation and Combination.
Overall, the topic wise distribution of questions was even. However, questions from Numbers, Geometry, Inequalities and Modulus, and speed-time-distance were more frequent.

Regards,
Entwistle

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Re: Further Quant Strategy   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2011, 11:12